Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    digital420 is online now Team Alumni

Re: Another Vikings Bashing

• At first I thought it must be one of those sign-the-guy-for-a-day-and-let-him-retire-a-hero deals, but then I remembered who it was: Jeff George, signed by the Raiders.

• And once I remembered it was George, there was only one logical response: Wasn't this idea bad enough the first time around?

• The only quarterback idea that might be worse than signing Jeff George to be your third-stringer: Starting Brett Favre.

• An even worse idea: Starting Brett Favre behind two rookie guards.
    heh.. that cracked me up!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Webby" wrote:
    Another season of the magnifying glass.

Maybe another Bengal can get arrested and alleviate some of the scrutiny here.

I don't think that is going to work Webby.. The Bengals have had far more off field issues this offseason then the Vikings have, and the Vikes still are the team that they focus on.. Stupid, just wait until we start winning, then they will shut up.

Del Rio Guest

What does he want us to do cut Smith lol?

Would it make everyone happy if Childress came out and said "I just want to assure the fans I have had a long talk with his mother......."

Seriously some people are just farvetards.

Why does everyone think Dwight Smith would be hard to replace? A saftey that plays in a cover two with a pro-bowl saftey right next to him? This idea is INSANE. Trust me when I say losing a WR with the core we have would hurt a whole hell of a lot more then losing a Saftey.

Until someone reads the Vikings code of conduct everyone needs to stfu. Just because the owner said he was going to clean things up doesn't mean every single item the media wants to attatch it's feelers on needs to result in suspension, cut, or fine........

To top this all off it is clear to me that many of the people upset about this are either very young or have never been part of an organization that has a Union that is very influential in decision making. At Mcdonalds you can be fired for pissing in the fry sauce, if you worked for a food company that has a union you would be talked to, and given paid leave to attend paid counseling to find out why you did what you did.

So to summarize:
    A) Organizations have limitations on what they can do. In a union organization you need a paper trail, you need a series of events that create a pattern.

B) Who knows what the Code Of Conduct says in regards to a charge as light as this. Perhaps a stern warning and documented coaching "WRITE UP" to stay on record in case of future problems.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

I despise ESPN.com anywho.
    To read any of the somewhat interesting crap they want you to be an 'insider' and pay for it. :
    All they ever do is bash the vikes anyways.
    i say f-em.
    All we can do is go out and win this year, and show up all the haters.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Webby" wrote:
    Another season of the magnifying glass.

Maybe another Bengal can get arrested and alleviate some of the scrutiny here.
    I don't think the entire Bengals team as a whole drew as much national press attention as K-Rob & Smith alone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of posters were saying that Smith being busted last weekend wasn't a big deal, well this is why it is was a big deal.
    Add this on top of all the other things that Viking players have done recently and it takes away all that the new owner and coaches have done to try and make us into a respectable team.

Now the coaches, player and owners have to answer questions about this instead of working on improving the team, or teaching the players, and we have to read all the national jokes, and the late night talk show hostess take shots at the Viking's, again!
    After we had to hear it for the last year, and it just sucks!
    I don't think he should be cut, but I think that the penalty should be very stiff, and if he screws up again in anyway show him the door, and then kick his buttt through it!

I said this during the boat cruise and I said it right after this came out!
    I don't care what these players do in private have 6 girls, 2 dogs and a monkey in your room if that is what turns your crank, but don't do it in public!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

The sad thing is if the season was in full swing this wouldn't have gotten more then 2 minutes on any show.

It isn't the end of the world. Who really gives a flying fuck what anyone else thinks about your team? It's been a part of sports since the begining. Everything Joe Namath did it was a joke, everything Terry Bradshaw said or did was exploited all over the news.

People are people and stuff is going to happen. If they win everything goes away. You turn from an unorganized group of misfits to a group of dedicated ruffians who are ruff around the edges.

Persona is created and altered on the field. Maybe someday there will be a born again christian football league and everyone will powder each others asses and the most desperate reporter will only be able to dig up the fact that Moses Holyman Jr. didn't read his scriptures on Tuesday...........

Until then you have character and lack thereof, you have people who subscribe to your beliefs and those who could care less, and if they can get the job done on the field, if they can help the team, then there will be a roster spot for them.

I would shit my pants if I found out that this Smith deal is distracting the team. I think that term is used too losely. It isn't keeping coaches from coaching and players from playing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

The Viking's are trying to get approval for a new stadium, and it is a very precarious situation and in the last 3 weeks we have had a viking driving drunk doing over 100 miles an hour and leading police on a high speed chase for 12 miles.

Then a week later we have Smith cited for having sex in a stairwell in a downtown bar that is located on block E which was the most notorious block in all of Minnesota, on any given night you could die on that block.
    The tax payers of Minnesota paid millions of dollars to revitalize that area because it was so bad and this has been within the last 5 years.
    This maybe lost on some of the average citizens but will not be lost on the people that have to approve the stadium and the tax increase that are needed to build a new Viking stadium.

All this coming off the Tice scalping incident, the whizzinator, the Kevin williams domestic dispute with his wife where a knife was involved, the boat cruise and Willie Offord DUI arrest and more that I can't remember.
    That is a lot of negative publicity for a team in 1 year, and it sure doesn't help generate community support for spending over a half a Billion dollars on a new stadium.

These players need to realize that they have to make better decision's and keep stuff out of the public eye, especially after the Viking's have spent millions on advertising to garner support for the stadium by trying to create a better image of the Viking's and have these players throw all that away, because they don't think.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"Formo" wrote:
    That's Page 2 for you..
    I've never liked ESPN's Page 2 or their writers.
    Thinkin' they are witty, they make snide little comments, click 'Submit', and realize the moment it's too late that they missed some key elements about their comments that nullify everything they write..

He's got to be thinking, "Oh, just my luck -- so now they care?": Wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was caught driving roughly the speed of sound with roughly a vat of alcohol in his system (insert Jim Rome "allegedly" here), was released as the Vikings began a new era of accountability.
    What?
    Did he completely miss the fact that Minnesota has a completely new coaching staff and new owners?
    And that they have stated they were working on cleaning up on these off the field issues?

Then again, maybe "zero tolerance" can be changed to "just a little less tolerance" if the guy's playing a position that's tough to replace: Vikings strong safety Dwight Smith was still working with the first-team defense this week after he was arrested and charged with indecent conduct for having sex with a woman in a stairwell outside a nightclub.
    They were humping for God's sake!
    Granted, Smith COULD'VE used his head and find a back room or hotel room before letting his manhood play.
    He wasn't speeding, drunk, at over 100 MPH.
    For thee 3rd time.
    Ignorant.
    Completely ignorant.

One thing about those Vikings: They're strictly NC-17.
    I would like to see in the next year or so the Vikings becomming one of the most integrity filled teams just to see this author eat his words.

See?
    i care very much about the Vikes..
    I'm just sick of having to deal with pricks like this particular Page 2 author who uses the Vikings negative off the field news as punchlines.
    The author will eat his words if the vikings have any success this year, because I will be writing him personally....
    ;D

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    The Viking's are trying to get approval for a new stadium, and it is a very precarious situation and in the last 3 weeks we have had a viking driving drunk doing over 100 miles an hour and leading police on a high speed chase for 12 miles.

Then a week later we have Smith cited for having sex in a stairwell in a downtown bar that is located on block E which was the most notorious block in all of Minnesota, on any given night you could die on that block.
    The tax payers of Minnesota paid millions of dollars to revitalize that area because it was so bad and this has been within the last 5 years.
    This maybe lost on some of the average citizens but will not be lost on the people that have to approve the stadium and the tax increase that are needed to build a new Viking stadium.

All this coming off the Tice scalping incident, the whizzinator, the Kevin williams domestic dispute with his wife where a knife was involved, the boat cruise and Willie Offord DUI arrest and more that I can't remember.
    That is a lot of negative publicity for a team in 1 year, and it sure doesn't help generate community support for spending over a half a Billion dollars on a new stadium.

These players need to realize that they have to make better decision's and keep stuff out of the public eye, especially after the Viking's have spent millions on advertising to garner support for the stadium by trying to create a better image of the Viking's and have these players throw all that away, because they don't think.

I'm not buying the stadium angle anymore. They dealt with the boat
    scandle, they have dealt with K.Robinson.

Shit happens that's a given. How they handle it is what should matter to the people of Minnesota. Wilf is going to get a stadium built in Minnesota. Regardless of Dwight Smith getting busy in an alley.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast