Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jeremy is offline Starter

Re: Another bonehead move on the front offices part...

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    Billick, Lenihan, and all the others.

Now Tomlin.

Can we keep just one good coach?

I'm not even sure Tomlin is ready to be succesful as a head coach, but he would sure do a better job than Childress.

I say this not because of our record, but because little things Childress did throughout the year that no amount of experience would fix. Common sense things.

His clock management towards the end of games was the biggest issue. Most kids in high school can properly manage an NFL clock.

We should have kept Tomlin and let Childress go before just saying goodbye to our promising young D-coordinator.

We don't have that good of a set of linebackers, only one ok CB (Winfield, who is really great) and then Sharper. We have 2 amazing DT's, but other than that, we don't have too much to be proud of on D.

Yet we still were the most consistent run defense in the leauge. Not to mention the best.

Childress can barely play call, yet alone DRAFT! (Ryan Cook in the 2nd round??? Even Tarvaris...)

This isn't even a thread directed at Childress, but more at our front office for letting Tomlin go.

We should have offered him the job.
    I can't believe you're criticizing Childress for not adjusting and giving Tomlin a free pass. Does the New England game raise any red flags for you? Tomlin was just as bad at adjusting as Childress was.

Besides, you pretty much defeated your own argument about the run defense. I think ANY team with Kevin and Pat Williams would have a pretty good run D.

Also, I think that Childress has a pretty good eye for talent. Cook played decently down the stretch this year, Griffin was great for a rookie at CB and Ray Edwards surpassed everyone's expectations as a 4th round pick at just 21 years old. By the way, I love how you threw Tarvaris under the bus there...remember the thread where you rubbed it in everyone's faces about how great he is?
    :

We should be PRAISING Childress for hiring Tomlin, not saying that he should be replaced by him.

I for one am proud that all of these guys have come through Minnesota.
    Teddy Cotrell had Williams and Williams and the Vikings run D was not anywhere near as good as it is this year. They finish 19th in the NFL last season against the run. 1st this year and Stats Inc. is looking into weather or not their 2.8 ypc allowed is a modern NFL record.

The Vikings havn't finished in the top ten in total yards allowed since 1994 when Tony Dungy was D-coordinator.

Who needs Tomlin anyways? A lot of people said that about Dungy too.

The worst part about the Tomlin situation, is that we all know that Childress won't bring in anyone who will want some say and have balls.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I already posted this article in the "Steelers choose Vikes' Tomlin to succeed Cowher" thread, but it seemed very fitting to post it here as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sat, Jan. 20, 2007

[size=13pt]Vikings can't afford to lose Mike Tomlin[/size]

By Jim Souhan

McClatchy Newspapers

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

OK, look at Washington.
    They didn't want to let their OC and DC go, so they paid them big bucks, it doesn't always work out.
    You can't just throw away your plans to hire another guy so you can plan again.
    Unless you are maybe Jimmy Jones, the guy that knows football better than any coach.

It would be a difficult decision for Wilf to make and to say, "Chilly, you are out, here is a comp check, now go.
    They really loved you in Philly, why don't you go back there.
    Now Tomlin, I know you are only 35, but here is the official team mustache and the keys to the head coaches office.
    Do good or we will be replacing you too.
    You might not even get a three year plan to get your team in order.
    Heck we might even fire you halfway through the season."

Like I said, most coaches aspire to be head coaches.
    If given the opp they will take it.
    Look at Tice coaching for so little $$. It is nice to be wanted and paid.
    Tomlin wouldn't turn it down for nothing so you have to be prepared to give him the HC job here or it is no use.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

This move sucks for the vikes, but maybe next year we'll have an OC that realizes that the cover 2 isn't working with our dbs and he'll change our d up a bit!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I think people often forget about Brad Childress' resume.I am very upset that we lost Tomlin, but we dont need to abandon ship.We should have done what we could have to retain him, but honestly the guy got a shot at a HC job, and did what we would all do.

I beleive the verdict is still out on Tomlin and Childress.However besides being number 1 in the rush, what else did Tomlin do? Now i'm not saying he wont be a great HC and not have a succesfull D in Pitt.But to me Tomlin is no better then Childress.Childress has alot more on his plate or did then Tomlin.Hes building his team, retooling here and there, and I beleive that we need to give him time. Philly for the past 5-6 years have been super dominate in the NFC.Childress was a factor in that success as well.

I think Karl Dunbar isnt getting as much credit as he deserves.He is the D-line coach and all.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    This move sucks for the vikes, but maybe next year we'll have an OC that realizes that the cover 2 isn't working with our dbs and he'll change our d up a bit!
    Darrell Bevell can't change our defensive scheme or DB's. I think you meant to say DC.
    ;D

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12