Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Another bonehead move on the front offices part...

Billick, Lenihan, and all the others.

Now Tomlin.

Can we keep just one good coach?

I'm not even sure Tomlin is ready to be succesful as a head coach, but he would sure do a better job than Childress.

I say this not because of our record, but because little things Childress did throughout the year that no amount of experience would fix. Common sense things.

His clock management towards the end of games was the biggest issue. Most kids in high school can properly manage an NFL clock.

We should have kept Tomlin and let Childress go before just saying goodbye to our promising young D-coordinator.

We don't have that good of a set of linebackers, only one ok CB (Winfield, who is really great) and then Sharper. We have 2 amazing DT's, but other than that, we don't have too much to be proud of on D.

Yet we still were the most consistent run defense in the leauge. Not to mention the best.

Childress can barely play call, yet alone DRAFT! (Ryan Cook in the 2nd round??? Even Tarvaris...)

This isn't even a thread directed at Childress, but more at our front office for letting Tomlin go.

We should have offered him the job.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Another bonehead move on the front offices part...

Dungy......Come on Minnesota git r done.

Congrats to Tomlin you earned it, Steelers are a good place to start!!!!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

vikingsFTW!! is offline Waterboy

Its almost like they enjoy letting good people go ???

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

It will be just fine faithful.. The way I see it, if Tomlin goes to Pittsburgh and we bomb next season, Brad Childress will be hitting the bricks.. Who knows, maybe after next season Wilf can lure Bill Cowher out of retirement to be the HC of the Minnesota Vikings..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:

Now Tomlin.

I'm not even sure Tomlin is ready to be succesful as a head coach, but he would sure do a better job than Childress.

I say this not because of our record, but because little things Childress did throughout the year that no amount of experience would fix. Common sense things.

His clock management towards the end of games was the biggest issue. Most kids in high school can properly manage an NFL clock.

We should have kept Tomlin and let Childress go before just saying goodbye to our promising young D-coordinator.

We don't have that good of a set of linebackers, only one ok CB (Winfield, who is really great) and then Sharper. We have 2 amazing DT's, but other than that, we don't have too much to be proud of on D.

Yet we still were the most consistent run defense in the leauge. Not to mention the best.

Childress can barely play call, yet alone DRAFT! (Ryan Cook in the 2nd round??? Even Tarvaris...)

This isn't even a thread directed at Childress, but more at our front office for letting Tomlin go.

I can't believe you're criticizing Childress for not adjusting and giving Tomlin a free pass. Does the New England game raise any red flags for you? Tomlin was just as bad at adjusting as Childress was.

Besides, you pretty much defeated your own argument about the run defense. I think ANY team with Kevin and Pat Williams would have a pretty good run D.

Also, I think that Childress has a pretty good eye for talent. Cook played decently down the stretch this year, Griffin was great for a rookie at CB and Ray Edwards surpassed everyone's expectations as a 4th round pick at just 21 years old. By the way, I love how you threw Tarvaris under the bus there...remember the thread where you rubbed it in everyone's faces about how great he is?
    :

We should be PRAISING Childress for hiring Tomlin, not saying that he should be replaced by him.

I for one am proud that all of these guys have come through Minnesota.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Oh Noes! Tomlin left! ... I loved Tomlin and talked him up all season so now I have to blame EVERYONE but him for leaving.

This thread is just the fan trying to find blame to place in a situation where there is no blame to place. How are you blaming Zygi for losing Billick, Linehan and Dungy?

You have no evidence to back up whether Tomlin would be a better head coach with this team or not.

It's a completely smart move to give up on a first year head coach for a NEW first year head coach who is just as unproven as Tomlin. Remember.. Childress was highly touted when he came to Minnesota,
    moreso than Tomlin.

What does drafting have to do with this situation. What evidence shows us that Ryan Cook is a bust. Same with Tarvaris or any of our draft class. I see you don't mention the pick of Cedric Griffin in the 2nd round..

What exactly are you mad about. You trash Childress and then say it's not his fault. What's our front office going to do? Give up on our guy for someone equally as unproven, even less so? Cut me a break.. people on here are getting ridiculous.

Remember. Childress hired Tomlin. Who's to say he won't hire another DC who's equally as talented?

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:

Now Tomlin.

I can't believe you're criticizing Childress for not adjusting and giving Tomlin a free pass. Does the New England game raise any red flags for you? Tomlin was just as bad at adjusting as Childress was.

Besides, you pretty much defeated your own argument about the run defense. I think ANY team with Kevin and Pat Williams would have a pretty good run D.

Also, I think that Childress has a pretty good eye for talent. Cook played decently down the stretch this year, Griffin was great for a rookie at CB and Ray Edwards surpassed everyone's expectations as a 4th round pick at just 21 years old. By the way, I love how you threw Tarvaris under the bus there...remember the thread where you rubbed it in everyone's faces about how great he is?
    :

We should be PRAISING Childress for hiring Tomlin, not saying that he should be replaced by him.

Tarvaris did very well. Yet if Childress planned on drafting a QB that wasn't ready to play for a few years, then why do it?

Its not like we had a starter for him to learn by. Unless of course, you wanted him to master the art of 3 yard passes by BJ. He should have used his head in the draft and picked a QB that was ready for the NFL, or at least thought to be with our current QB situation. However, luckily for us, T-Jack should be ready for next season. Only because BJ proved to be as horrible as most of us predicted.

Childress is not the worst coach in the leauge right now, but he is not far away from it either. It's his common sense that makes me question him.

How many times towards the end of the game did we have a 4th and 3 and he went for 30 yard bombs?

Or what about the shady clock management at the most crucial parts of the game?

Or how about his play calling selection that even made sports writers laugh at him?

Even Winfield blasted his selection. Doesn't that kind of say something when one of your good guy veteran players speaks up about the head coach?

I will take back everything I ever said about Childress (even if we only win 5 games this year) if he shows just a tad more common sense than he did last year. \

Its the little things that win football games.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

It is rather frustrating that a bunch of successful coaches have left Minnesota, and the one in-house guy that we did end up choosing to coach our team was Mike Tice.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:

Now Tomlin.

:

Are you serious about using the NE game?
    Who has NOT gotten their heads pounded by NE? NE is frigging GOOD. I like playing NE because they expose EVERYTHING about your team.

It's just more change the Vikings do not need.

Are you not worried that Tomlin will not try and lure Phat Pat away from us?
    How about taking Sharper with him?

Tomlin is a good coach around the league he is regarded as one of the bright coaches.

Congrats to Tomlin it sucks for the Vikings but as usual...We will do nothing but take in the shorts!

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Big deal.

It's not a secret when a coordinator does good that he may get a head coaching job.
    O the humanity!

I guess if you love the guy so much...maybe we should have our coord's do crappy.
    That way no other team will want them.

I think almost anybody could've done what he did this year.
    Our D was built to stop the run.
    But, it yielded a piss poor pass D.

Bring on the next guy please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast