Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: An anniversary most Vikings fans don't want to remember

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]MMA Bash Brothers?[/size]

sherdog.com

Exactly 18 years ago today, on Oct. 12, 1989, Walker was involved in the largest trade in NFL history with the Minnesota Vikings, in which 18 players and draft picks were dealt....

"The untitled initial reality series will focus on former professional athletes Jose Canseco and Herschel Walker, who will lead undisclosed sports stars to train mixed martial arts."
    http://vikings.scout.com/2/11653.html

THIS was the REAL reason why the trade SUCKED:

Perhaps the Vikings could've salvaged something out of having decimated their team for one player (particularly their defense), but [size=30pt]Walker was never used properly by the coaching brain trust (a total oxymoron in this case). [/size] Walker left the Vikings for Philadelphia soon after, and ultimately wound up back in Dallas, an ironic completion of Herschel's journey.

I have ALWAYS maintained that the coaches didn't use him right...and am glad to see that my opinion is vindicated somewhere in print...but SAD that the circumstances couldn't have been more favorable to my team!

BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

BOOOOOO!!!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sherdog.com

Exactly 18 years ago today, on Oct. 12, 1989, Walker was involved in the largest trade in NFL history with the Minnesota Vikings, in which 18 players and draft picks were dealt....

"The untitled initial reality series will focus on former professional athletes Jose Canseco and Herschel Walker, who will lead undisclosed sports stars to train mixed martial arts."

Perhaps the Vikings could've salvaged something out of having decimated their team for one player (particularly their defense), but [size=30pt]Walker was never used properly by the coaching brain trust (a total oxymoron in this case). [/size] Walker left the Vikings for Philadelphia soon after, and ultimately wound up back in Dallas, an ironic completion of Herschel's journey.

I have ALWAYS maintained that the coaches didn't use him right...and am glad to see that my opinion is vindicated somewhere in print...but SAD that the circumstances couldn't have been more favorable to my team!

i agree completely,

They took and I formation runner and stuck him in a split back west coast offense and he was not suited to that type of system. If they wanted that type of runner they already had Darrin Nelson. During that first game vs the Pack they did line him up and let him run and he rolled all over them. But then they tried to make him function in a system he couldn't excel in and that should be a good lesson for the current coaching staff and how they are using some of their players.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

At least it was an exciting first game with him in the lineup . . . right?

;D ;D ;D

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

"vikingivan" wrote:
    The worst move in the history of professional sports.
    Not for those rings on the COWBOY'S fingers . . . it aint!

;D ;D ;D

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    The worst move in the history of professional sports.
    I'll wait for the Moss crotch sniffers to argue that one.
    IMPOSSIBLE:

1989: The Vikings get off to a 3-2 start before pulling off the biggest deal in NFL history. The Vikings would acquire RB Herschel Walker from the Dallas Cowboys for 5 players, and several draft picks. The Vikings would win 3 of their first 4 games with Walker, on the way to winning their first NFC Central title in 9 years with a 10-6 record. However, their season would end quickly with a 41-13 loss to the 49ers in San Francisco during the Divisional Playoffs.

1990: Injuries to the defense and a lackluster season from Herschel Walker contribute to a terrible 1-6 start. The Vikings would bounce back and make a run by winning 5 straight games to even their record at 6-6. However, the Vikings early season struggles would pop up again in a devastating season ending 4-game losing streak that dropped them into last place with a disappointing 6-10 record.

1991: The Vikings play mediocre football all season on the way to an 8-8 record, as Herschel Walker struggles again. Walker would be released following the season, failing to reach 1,000 yards rushing in each of his 2 full seasons in Minnesota. The trade would end up being a big bust for the Vikings as the Dallas Cowboys used the draft picks to build a team that won 3 Super Bowls. In addition to the release of Walker, Coach Jerry Burns called it a career after over 20 years with the organization.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sherdog.com

Could history . . . gulp . . .
    possibly repeat itself (to some degree)?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sherdog.com

i agree completely,

They took and I formation runner and stuck him in a split back west coast offense and he was not suited to that type of system. If they wanted that type of runner they already had Darrin Nelson. During that first game vs the Pack they did line him up and let him run and he rolled all over them. But then they tried to make him function in a system he couldn't excel in and that should be a good lesson for the current coaching staff and how they are using some of their players.
    Ah! At least someone besides me remembers. They insisted he move closer to the line & take two steps before grabbing the ball instead of playing back & further & hitting the line fast & hard. He wasn't nowwhere near as good in that formation & we suffered for it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Words they never heeded. Wasn't Schnelker the brain child behind that stupidity?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sherdog.com

i agree completely,

Ah! At least someone besides me remembers. They insisted he move closer to the line & take two steps before grabbing the ball instead of playing back & further & hitting the line fast & hard. He wasn't nowwhere near as good in that formation & we suffered for it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Words they never heeded. Wasn't Schnelker the brain child behind that stupidity?
    Mike Lynn was the the one that orchestrated that trade.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sherdog.com

i agree completely,

That is the basis for mt reluctance to support the theory that we should line up AP and CT in the backfield at the same time and share the load between them. That is exactly what we did in the case of Walker and it never worked out. He excelled at lining up 8 yards deep and heading straight downfield,picking whatever hole opened up. I see much of that same style in AP where he can just hit the hole running. I just don't see him as being as effective lined up closer and trying to be a shifty,elusive runner. Taylor can probably do that but it isn't going to be AP's most productive situation. I think it was a combination of both Schnelker and Burns who were responsible and seem to remember burns being more behind it because he didn't want to change his offense because of one player.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12