Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Angry Vikings blast stadium commission resolution - Will not renew lease

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Moving!

During the season, the Wilf's aren't going to ruin the flow with the threat of moving.

I am not going to worry about it until the Wilf's say that they are openly considering it.

Once they openly say that, then I will worry only if the State of MN doesn't take the threat seriously.
    These are part of the political posturings.
    It is a game that has to be played.
    Right now, yes..
    It is a game that needs to be played.

But it never should have gotten this far.
    Ever.

Ever.

The State dropped the ball on this one, BIG time.
    And now they'll end up paying for it.
    Either through some sort of public funding to help with a new deal, or with the Vikings leaving town.

The sad thing is..
    Right now (especially in recent years), the Vikings are the only relevant sports team in MN.
    Not to mention they bring in more revenue, also.
    And what does the state do?
    Repeatedly spits in their face (dating back to the very first new stadium talks).
    I guess the only way the state will be willing to help out is if the ownership throws in some BIIIIG financial packages towards the stadium.
    If that's the case, I really hope that Wilf bites the bullet.

Right now, all I care about is the Vikes staying in Minny.
    I don't care how.
    Literally, I don't care how.
    Just politics as usually. Nothing gets done until both sides have gotten as much as they possibly can. Other examples of this are the state trying to get a balanced budget passed or the NFL reaching an agreement with the players union to avoid an uncapped year. Then again, looking at those 2 examples we might be S.O.L.

PS. I doubt the Vikings bring in the most revenue. The twins play 80 home games a year compared to the Vikings 8.
    The difference here is that the MSFC and the Vikings were on the same side.
    The MSFC does NOT represent the legislature.
    And they partnered with the Vikings to write up the $960 million proposal.
    The MSFC WANTS public money to help pay for the stadium, because without it the MSFC is basically defunct.

This was a msitake by the MSFC, plain and simple.
    Something that sounded like a good idea at the time, and wasn't thought out before going to the floor.
    My guess is that someone at the MSFC has lost some serious clout within the organization.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Moving!

During the season, the Wilf's aren't going to ruin the flow with the threat of moving.

I am not going to worry about it until the Wilf's say that they are openly considering it.

Once they openly say that, then I will worry only if the State of MN doesn't take the threat seriously.
    Right now, yes..

Ever.

Ever.

Either through some sort of public funding to help with a new deal, or with the Vikings leaving town.

The sad thing is..
    Right now (especially in recent years), the Vikings are the only relevant sports team in MN.
    Repeatedly spits in their face (dating back to the very first new stadium talks).
    I guess the only way the state will be willing to help out is if the ownership throws in some BIIIIG financial packages towards the stadium.

I don't care how.
    Just politics as usually. Nothing gets done until both sides have gotten as much as they possibly can. Other examples of this are the state trying to get a balanced budget passed or the NFL reaching an agreement with the players union to avoid an uncapped year. Then again, looking at those 2 examples we might be S.O.L.

PS. I doubt the Vikings bring in the most revenue. The twins play 80 home games a year compared to the Vikings 8.
    You may be right..
    Someone would have to do the math.
    I'm also including tax money..
    Which would probably put the Vikings over the top, regardless of how many home games their are.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Moving!

Right now, yes..

Ever.

Ever.

The sad thing is..

I don't care how.

The MSFC WANTS public money to help pay for the stadium, because without it the MSFC is basically defunct.

Something that sounded like a good idea at the time, and wasn't thought out before going to the floor.
    My guess is that someone at the MSFC has lost some serious clout within the organization.
    Not that different really. The state legislature is supposed to be on the same side as the governor, tax payers, but they still can't reach an agreement. The NFL is shares interest with the players union.

I think the MSFC is in a very tough spot because on one side they have the Vikings saying they need a deal done soon, and on the other side the have the legislature saying they won't even look at it until the budget is balanced(not soon).
    IMHO the MSFC needs to be taken out of the equation. Let the vikings and the state work out a deal direct.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Formo" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Moving!

Right now, yes..

Ever.

Ever.

The sad thing is..

I don't care how.

You may be right..
    Someone would have to do the math.
    I'm also including tax money..
    Which would probably put the Vikings over the top, regardless of how many home games their are.
    The Vikings have brought in considerable more money than the Twins in tax revenue.
    Since it opened in 1982, the Metrodome has generated $245 million in tax revenue.

- $234 million has gone to the State of Minnesota

- The Minnesota Vikings have been responsible for $126 million of the $245 million in taxes generated in the last 27 years.
    Also, the Viking's lease was considerable more expensive than the Twins, and they have always been considered the major tenant of the Metrodome, with priority in all games except for the World series.

By the way, if you want to REALLY look at the numbers, the total attendance of Twins games in the metrodome (through 2008) was 46,498,747.
    The total attendance of Vikings games in the Metrodome (through 2008) was approximately 17.280,000.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/minnatte.shtml
    http://football.about.com/od/moremin...ings_Links.htm

Yes, the Twins had 8 times as many games - but they very, very rarely filled the dome.
    I don't have the average tickets prices or the total attendance revenue for each team throughout the years (although I bet I could find it), but I guarantee that the average ticket price for the Vikings has always been more than 2.5 times the average price of a Twins ticket.
    The only area that the Twins might have edged out the Vikings is in concession sales - and even that is probably close because the Vikings lease didn't give them jack shit from concessions.

Bottom line, the Vikings have most definately brought in more revenue for the dome than the Twins or Gophers ever did.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ascent in all of this hoopla is an actual plan that would demonstrate how this would be financed and what type of tax increases will be necessary to pay for this stadium. We can argue all day long about who's fault it is but in the end I don't think you will find one single legislator in the state who would come forward right now with the state budget in the situation it is in and propose the kind of tax increase necessary to fund what the team wants. It is political suicide to try something like that right now.

There are a few who are exploring alternative forms of revenue generation and hopefully one of those ideas will gain traction and provide a source of additional cash because if it comes down to taxes paying for the construction I believe it will be dead in the water.

Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Moving!

Right now, yes..

Ever.

Ever.

The sad thing is..

I don't care how.

The MSFC needs to be defunct, disbanded, disjointed, discombobulated and dismantled.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Well since we are moving to LA, I think we should make a Gold Jersey since it will since in the bright sunny day.
    Can you imagine AD in a Gold Jersey? Cali already has 3 TEAMS. And LA sucks as a Football area...

Honolulu Vikings?

Alaska Vikings?

Puerto Rican Vikings?

Richmond Vikings?

Oklahoma City Vikings?

Little Rock Vikes?

Louisville Vikes?

Alabama Vikes?

Vegas Vikes?

UK Vikes?

Nigerian Vikes?

Australian Vikes?

Tons of possibilities. I wonder which one at the top would make you guys most sick.

Blog Entries

"SharperImage" wrote:
    Well since we are moving to LA, I think we should make a Gold Jersey since it will since in the bright sunny day.
    Can you imagine AD in a Gold Jersey? Cali already has 3 TEAMS. And LA sucks as a Football area...

Honolulu Vikings?

Alaska Vikings?

Puerto Rican Vikings?

Richmond Vikings?

Oklahoma City Vikings?

Little Rock Vikes?

Louisville Vikes?

Alabama Vikes?

Vegas Vikes?

UK Vikes?

Nigerian Vikes?

Australian Vikes?

Tons of possibilities. I wonder which one at the top would make you guys most sick.
    Here is an original thought.

How about the Oslo Vikings

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

related so not to change the subject.

Jaguars, Raiders, Lions blacked out again
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ked-out-again/

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 21, 2009 6:45 PM ET
    A season-high three Sunday NFL games will be blacked out in the local television market, as the Jaguars, Raiders and Lions all failed to sell out their games.

The Jaguars are blacked out as usual, but the team is reminding fans that they can watch the game online at jaguars.com and NFL.com starting at midnight Sunday night.

The Raiders have their fifth straight blackout. It's the 74th time in 118 home games since moving back to Oakland from Los Angeles that the Raiders have failed to sell out.

I would think that the Jags right now are the leading team to move, since it seems evident. And The Raiders, Well they are teh Raiders who knows what al Davis would do.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:

Honolulu Vikings?

Alaska Vikings?

Puerto Rican Vikings?

Richmond Vikings?

Oklahoma City Vikings?

Little Rock Vikes?

Louisville Vikes?

Alabama Vikes?

Vegas Vikes?

UK Vikes?

Nigerian Vikes?

Australian Vikes?

Here is an original thought.

How about the Oslo Vikings
    Lol, nice.

With all the struggling teams, you could easily make an AFC East with only European teams. Little realigning and you get...

Stockholm Vikings
    Amsterdan Jaguars
    Barcelona Lions
    London Raiders

Now that'd be funny to watch, even though I couldn't trade in my Packers for the Jaguars. And every game would still black-out, I think.

The only problem I'm having is that those 3 times have been struggling. There's good reasoning behind those teams not getting a lot of fan support. Especially with the Lions and Raiders.

The Vikings are a highly succesfull franchise. If you're playing the way the Vikings have this year, and like they already played the year before that, it's a real problem.

I know, it's been said a thousand times, but what hasn't by now about this subject. I just hope that the Vikings will stay in Minnesota. Just move the Jags to LA if you want a franchise there that badly. They have little history, not a whole lot of fan support and a good, but not great stadium. They've been blocking out about 10000 seats and still can't fill their stadium, for crying out loud.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast