Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

For Anglovike and the fans in UK

This was on the Vikes home page, if you have seen disregard but if you haven't it's about the expansion of TV coverage in the UK.

I do not know what "trebled" is if you can help me out, I was thinking typo and that it should have been tripled.

For you fans overseas I hope you get abunch of games!! :salute:

London

Author: Neil Reynolds

London, England -- ARE you ready for some football? NFL fans in the United Kingdom certainly are and they cannot wait for the action to begin on the U.S. side of the pond on September 9.

The 2004 NFL season will be the 23rd to be screened on British television and fans in the UK have never had it so good. As the NFL's fan base continues to grow (television viewing figures for Super Bowl have trebled to more than one million over the past two years) more programming than ever before has become available to football lovers.

Take this season for example. The average NFL fan in Great Britain will be able to see two live games each Sunday evening, starting in Week 1 with Tampa Bay at Washington followed by Atlanta at San Francisco (we also get the Thursday night opener live).

The ESPN Sunday night game is also available and Monday Night Football is aired live on terrestrial television, giving us Brits four live contests per week to get our teeth into.

Add satellite television preview and review shows produced by ESPN, the prospect of an NFL Sunday Ticket trial in December and an official website dedicated to fans in the United Kingdom and you'll agree we don't go short of NFL action, even if the time difference between America and Europe means viewing essentials often include a pot of strong coffee and a good excuse for being so bleary-eyed at work the next morning.

The United Kingdom remains one of the NFL's priority markets overseas and the sport continues to grow in popularity here. The league's aim is to make the NFL as popular as it was in the 1980s, when the likes of Dan Marino, Joe Montana and The Fridge were household names, more than four million viewers tuned into the Super Bowl and more than 80,000 fans packed London's Wembley Stadium each year to see NFL preseason games featuring fleeting cameo appearances by the likes of Walter Payton, John Elway, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders and many more future Hall of Famers.

In a bid to, once again, raise the profile of the sport in this country, the NFL is highlighting between six and eight key players who have a shot at becoming household names and pushing those guys to the media as stars to focus on this season. That current list is being finalized but looks set to include a pair of Vikings in Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, as well as the likes of Michael Vick and Terrell Owens.

Both Vikings are dynamic and skilful on the field and Moss is certainly a colorful character who piques the interest of fans and media members alike. There is not a prettier sight in football than Culpepper launching an inch-perfect bomb downfield to Moss and the graceful and athletic Pro Bowler leaping high above defenders to reel the ball in for a touchdown.

It is that kind of explosive, offensive football that appeals to the casual fans of the game, making Culpepper and Moss great selling tools for the NFL in the United Kingdom.

While they have some way to go before reaching the popularity levels of the Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears, the Vikings have a solid and loyal fan base in the United Kingdom and last season Culpepper conducted a very popular Q & A with readers of nfluk.com.

And it looks as if Vikings fans here and in Minnesota will have reason to be cheerful in 2004. Mike Tice is putting together a contender in Minneapolis with the likes of Culpepper, Moss and Michael Bennett guaranteed to put plenty of points on the board.

Moss in particular could have an MVP season and 30 touchdowns is not out of the realm of possibility based on the NFL aiming to be stricter on defensive backs who grab jerseys and make contact with receivers five yards downfield. Can you imagine how potent Randy is going to be in 2004 with officials clamping down on the men covering him? Like he needs any help.

The defense was a ball-hawking group in 2003, coming up with an NFC-leading 28 interceptions and the expectation is that this unit will improve under the guidance of Ted Cottrell and with the additions of rookies Kenechi Udeze and Dontarrious Thomas, and free agent arrival Antoine Winfield.

Here is how www.nfluk.com described the Vikings chances in the coming months: "With all the talent they have on their roster, the Vikes should be considered a dark horse to reach the Super Bowl in the NFC. They will have to negotiate themselves through a fairly testing schedule but if they get on a roll then look out."

I hope such a promising prediction doesn't damage Minnesota's chances in 2004 and I would like to send a good luck message to the Vikings on behalf of all their fans in the United Kingdom.

While every fan harbors hopes of his or her team reaching the playoffs ahead of the opening weekend's action, Vikings fans have reason to be optimistic in 2004 and a return to the post-season should be on the cards.

Meanwhile, we'll be following every twist, turn and development from the United Kingdom as the soap opera that is the NFL kicks into high gear with its usual amount of breathtaking action, controversial moments and unmatched excitement.

It should be quite a season and I like many fellow Brits cannot wait for it to get started. Enjoy the opening few weeks and I'll check back later in the season with more news and views on the NFL from the United Kingdom.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: For Anglovike and the fans in UK

"whackthepack" wrote:
    This was on the Vikes home page, if you have seen disregard but if you haven't it's about the expansion of TV coverage in the UK.

I do not know what "trebled" is if you can help me out, I was thinking typo and that it should have been tripled.

Oh WTP that is a sweet article indeed !!! Yep the TV coverage is impoving in leaps and bounds here and I'm happy. We now have two live games on satellite every Sunday night, the MNF each week - sometimes live and sometimes shown the night after and the occasional Sunday night game too. From this it looks as if the Sunday night game will now be a regular thing which is excellent.
    Having said that looking at the satellite station schedule the Vikes won't be on before mid October at the earliest. Though we will have the MNF game against Philly - late night for me then and possibly the Saints game ..... so all those going to that be sure to smile to the camera please :cheers:
    However the possible trial of NFL sunday ticket sounds bloody marvelous to me .... anyone tell what that involves ..... then I can start working on persuading the wife to let me have that :cheers: :cheers:

Oh its going to be a good season I can tell :wav:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

"whackthepack" wrote:

Well it does mean tripled but thats the UK version of english for you ! :lol:

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Oh WTP that is a sweet article indeed !!! Yep the TV coverage is impoving in leaps and bounds here and I'm happy. We now have two live games on satellite every Sunday night, the MNF each week - sometimes live and sometimes shown the night after and the occasional Sunday night game too. From this it looks as if the Sunday night game will now be a regular thing which is excellent.
    Having said that looking at the satellite station schedule the Vikes won't be on before mid October at the earliest. Though we will have the MNF game against Philly - late night for me then and possibly the Saints game ..... so all those going to that be sure to smile to the camera please :cheers:
    However the possible trial of NFL sunday ticket sounds bloody marvelous to me .... anyone tell what that involves ..... then I can start working on persuading the wife to let me have that :cheers: :cheers:

Anglo the Sunday ticket is a wonderful thing that you can buy if you have a satellite dish... you get EVERY game!!!! My mom just got it... thats where I will be spending my sundays!!!

eelpout72 is offline Starter

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Anglo the Sunday ticket is a wonderful thing that you can buy if you have a satellite dish... you get EVERY game!!!! My mom just got it... thats where I will be spending my sundays!!!
    Ive had nfl sunday ticket for the past 2 years and its been great. Also they are now offering it in high def (w/no additional fees i believe). im thinking about getting a high def tv just for vike games!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Trebled... wasn't that a Star Trek term?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Blog Entries

"SKOL" wrote:
    you're thinking of Tribbles ... lol and, before you ask, no I'm not a Trekkie either !

Sunday Ticket sounds ideal - will be interesting to see what they charge for it , though I know it will be more than the equivalent in the US ....now have to start do some searching to find out info about this

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

You mean you cant catch the game where your at? :scratch: I thought for sure they show all vikes games in minny.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    you're thinking of Tribbles ... lol and, before you ask, no I'm not a Trekkie either !

Sunday Ticket sounds ideal - will be interesting to see what they charge for it , though I know it will be more than the equivalent in the US ....now have to start do some searching to find out info about this
    Anglo you said it..... if it cost's $5USd there it will be 5 Pounds Cyprus which is 2.01-2.04 USD to 1Pound Cyprus...but it doesn't matter I will be watching for it I can't tell you how great this is....I just had the sat guy come put a new dish in so We can only HOPE and [-o<

Thanks Whack you really know how to make a VIKING FANS day :wav:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

UkViking is offline Rookie

Great to get a good amount of NFL here on Sky SATT TV,and can,t wait to see the Vikes in action.The viewing figure are increasing and a few clients of mine have started to show an interest in the game for the first time.I have informed them that the VIKINGS are THE team to follow and maybe offer them a discount if they can talk VIKES when i see them.
    :wink:
    Fly the colour Purple,and fly it high!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast