Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Analyzing the Vikings' opening drives

"CynicalVike" wrote:
    One thing I've noticed is that yes, we do good with our opening drives, but after that it seems we always give up a yard or two on all our 1st down plays in the following drives which is leaving us looking at 2nd and long way too many times.
    Pete Bercich was on Mike Morris's show on Monday morning and spoke to exactly that.
    They work over and over on the scripted plays all week long in practice, so the team eats and sleeps what they are going to do to start the game.

After those are done, it's back to the playbook, so it's not all on auto-pilot.
    I think this is where we are struggling, the in-game adjustments and play-calling.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Update:

Here's how we stacked up for the rest of the year:

Week 1: 10 plays, 80 yards, and a TD. Time of possesion: 04:55
    Week 2: 11 plays, 63 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 06:32
    Week 3: 8 plays, 68 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 04:11
    Week 4: 12 plays, 61 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 06:20
    Week 5: 10 plays, 72 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 06:48

Week 6:
    bye
    Week 7: 6 plays, 38 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 03:20
    Week 8: 7 plays, 24 yards, and a Punt. Time of possesion: 02:54
    Week 9: 16 plays, 69 yards, and a Fieldgoal. Time of possesion: 09:00
    Week 10: 4 plays, 4 yards, and a Punt. Time of possesion: 00:57
    Week 11: 12 plays, 96 yards, and a TD. Time of possesion: 06:19
    Week 12: 9 plays, 70 yards, and a TD. Time of possesion: 05:02

Week 13: 4 plays, -8 yards, and a Punt. Time of possesion: 01:32
    Week 14: 14 plays, 80 yards, and a TD. Time of possesion: 06:59
    Week 15: 3 plays, 34 yards, and a TD. Time of possesion: 01:21

Week 16: 4 plays, 7 yards, and a Punt. Time of possesion: 02:05
    Week 17: 3 plays, 7 yards, and a INT. Time of possesion: 01:17
    5 of the games, we opened with a touchdown.
    6 of the games, we opened with a fieldgoal.

Now, I haven't looked at the rest of the league, but starting off 70% of your games with a score sounds like it should put you near the top in that category. If someone knows where that really puts us, I'd be interested. In any case, for an offense that had so hard of a time scoring for most of the game, they sure had some success early in the games. I have a few theories as to why. (..some of which are straight out of earlier posts in this thread, but this is an old thread, so maybe you won't remember who wrote them....or go back to read them..hmmm
    :-\)

1. The extra time in practice helped the players know the scripted plays like the back of their hand. Once they got done with the script, they weren't as familiar with the plays.

2. Given the extra prep time, the coaches were able to put together a varied attack for the scripted drives. Onve the script ran out, they fell back on instinct, and the playcalling became predictible.

3. The coaches are smart enough to divise some pretty damn good game plans and scripted drives, but once the game got going, their inexperience didn't allow them to recognise situations and implement effective adjustments in time to have any impact.

I don't like the first theory only because the opening drive pattern continued all season. I'd like to think that by the end of the season, everyone would pretty much know their assignments.

As for theory #2, the "predictible playcalling" line has been so severly debunked that I hesitated to even bring it up. I did so because I know there are a lot of new members here that may not have seen the threads that busted that myth, and I thought someone may bring it up again in this thread. This is here to stop that before it starts.

That leaves me with theory 3. I'm not completely sold on that theory yet, but it's the best one I've got so far. At least it's a fixable one. With a year under their belt, the coaching staff should be better prepared to make those adjustments this year. At least, we can hope so.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah the first drive soak up some clock and kick a field goal, yeah thats fine but the numbers dont lie. next year they need to find away to open up with some TOUCHDOWNS! and give the Defense something to defend other than some 3 point lead.

MMLV
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

It's not who scores first or on the opening drive, didn't we learn anything from the past Super Bowl?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12