Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Analysis of the Vikings Offense

~Analysis of the Vikings Offense~

This is my in-depth analysis of the Viking's offense as a whole.
    I've refrained from placing 100% of the blame on one particular aspect because I believe it's become a "Perpetual Motion Machine of Failure" the past 2 1/8 seasons.
    This is going to be a long post, so please be warned...

The Scheme

Is this version of the West Coast Offense inherently bad or fundamentally flawed?
    I believe it is.

Positives:
    • [li]1.) The running game.
      I think everyone is with me here.[/li]
      [li]2.) There are talented players on this offense - A.D., Berrian, Rice, Allison, Mills, and most of the OL.[/li]

Negatives:
    • [li]1.) None of the QBs that have played (started) in this system thus far have looked very good.
      Examples: Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, and Brooks Bollinger.[/li]
      [li]2.) They've ranked in the bottom half of the NFL the past two seasons in almost every passing category.[/li]
      [li]3.) Is the offensive staff (i.e.Childress, Bevell) trying to "put square pegs in round holes?"
      Examples: the "zone blocking" scheme of the OL (more suited as "maulers" IMO), the failure of Troy Williamson (insisting on sending him on fly patterns, but he just wasn't very good either.)[/li]
      [li]4.) Unimaginative, predictable, and just pure vanilla gameplan/playcalling overall.[/li]
      [li]5.) Inadequate halftime/in-game adjustments.[/li]
      [li]6.) Playing "not to lose" instead of "playing to win".[/li]

Now, does the offensive scheme look bad because:
    • [li]A.) it's just a poorly designed scheme?
      Possibly.

I realize that when the coaches make a playcall, it's ultimately up to the players to execute it correctly.[/li]
      [li]B.) the QB play has been below average as a whole?
      I think so.[/li]
      [li]C.) the offensive staff still does not trust the QB (Jackson) to make the correct reads/throws - thus the playcalling is intentionally simplified/limited?
      I believe this is accurate as well.[/li]
      [li]D.) the WRs/TEs aren't getting open?
      I cannot verify this due to television coverage.[/li]
      [li]E.) the above are constantly dropping balls?
      Are the balls being thrown as so that they can catch them easily?
      I believe it's a combination of both.[/li]

Quarterbacks

Is Tarvaris Jackson the answer at QB?
    Positives:
    • [li]1.) Great arm.
      Throws the ball with good velocity.[/li]
      [li]2.) Athletic.
      Can run with the ball if needed, can be elusive when the pocket breaks down.[/li]
      [li]3.) Smart kid.
      Says all the right stuff in interviews, etc.
      Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
      Nice guy.
      EDIT.
      I'm not sure how this translates to his game, but he doesn't seem to have the confidence needed
      for the position.[/li]

Negatives:
    • [li]1.) Extremely inconsistent - looks like a veteran on some plays, then like a HS quarterback on the next.[/li]
      [li]2.) Inaccurate.
      Frequently misses open wideouts by 10+ yds, or throws at their feet, making the ball difficult to catch.[/li]
      [li]3.) Poor mechanics while in the pocket.
      I'm no QB coach, but he actually seems to throw better while rolling out, but his numbers don't really reflect that so far this year.[/li]
      [li]4.) Makes poor decisions - especially on 3rd and 5-10 yds, however, is this due to the playcall, or Jackson?I don't see him checking off at the line either.
      Am I wrong here?[/li]
      [li]5.) Mumbles in the offensive huddle.
      Of course, I cannot verify this 100%, but it's what I've heard behind the scenes.
      I believe Bryant McKinnie alluded to this in a MNF game last year - "Tarvaris, we can't understand a darn thing you're saying."[/li]

Now, does Jackson (and other QBs thus far) look bad because:
    • [li]A.) he/they just aren't that good, or ready to start, in Jackson's case.
      I believe this is a factor.[/li]
      [li]B.) the coaches aren't allowing Jackson to "take control" of the offense by letting him play to his strengths.
      A distinct possibility, but I don't think they trust him with the offense as much as the've led on.[/li]
      [li]C.) the WRs/TEs are either dropping passes or not getting open?
      Is the QB to blame for this?
      I think it's a combination.[/li]
      [li]D.) the offensive scheme is not QB friendly?
      Not sure on this one.
      Would an average QB (at least) make this offense better?
      I'm starting to think even Brady, McNabb, or P. Manning would struggle in this offense.[/li]

Hypothetical question: If Jackson were released today, would he be picked up by another team?
    IMO, probably, but only as a backup.
    I don't hate the guy, but I don't think he should be starting yet.
    He's not ready.

Wide Receivers / Tight Ends

Is this crop of WRs/TEs getting it done?
    No.
    Positives:
    • [li]1.) Athletic and talented group, i.e. Berrian, Rice, Allison, Mills.
      Wade is ok.[/li]
      [li]2.) Potential to be productive group of playmakers, IMO.[/li]

Negatives:
    • [li]1.) Visthante Shiancoe.
      This guy should NOT be starting.
      I don't care how much he's being paid.
      Mills or even Kleinsasser should replace him as starter ASAP.[/li]
      [li]2.) Injuries - Berrian's turf toe, Rice's string of injuries, might be out for some time now with that knee.[/li]
      [li]3.) Dropping passes.
      Is this the QB's fault, or just underachieving on their part?
      A bit of both.[/li]
      [li]4.) Not getting open/separation from DBs.
      Again, I can't really verify this due to TV coverage, but it seems like a fair point.[/li]
      [li]5.) Inexperience.
      Youth can also be a negative factor, especially with WRs - Rice, Allison, and Mills are all young players.[/li]
      [li]6.) Route running.
      IMO, seems to be a bit inconsistent at times.[/li]

Now, do the WRs/TEs look bad because:
    • [li]A.) they aren't that good in the first place?
      Definitely the case in the TE dept., but I think we have some talented (but soft, IMO) WRs.[/li]
      [li]B.) the QB isn't doing a good enough job getting the ball to them?
      Definitely a factor.[/li]
      [li]C.) they just aren't in the offensive gameplan enough?
      Possibly; AD is their best player, and you need to get the ball to him as much as you can, but he can't do it alone, defenses just won't allow it.[/li]
      [li]D.) the offensive scheme is just bad, and not tailored to the strengths of this roster?
      Definitely.

Question: Should Peterson be split out at WR (much like LT is in SD)on occasion?.
    Would this help the passing offense?

I believe this offense has been failing constantly because of a multitude of factors in the three categories outlined above and combine to form an offensive attack that cannot escape it's own ineptitude.
    One thing feeds another, and another and another, then goes back to where it began.

I don't have any viable solutions to offer at the moment, other than starting over at the top and overhauling this offense staff at the end of the season.
    Very little is accomplished (historically) buy changing coaches 8 games or so into the season, let alone two.
    I dislike Childress as much as anyone, but firing him now would be quitting on the season, and I don't think any of us truly want to see that happen.

Discuss.

Please don't hesitate to point out anything I've missed, misjudged, overlooked, overblown, overanalyzed, etc., or whatever your agreements/disagreements are on this analysis.

P.S.: I'm not going to get into OL play here because I'm not entirely sure if it's factored in to the ineptitude of the offense enough as of late; IMO they played pretty well yesterday, a big improvement over the GB game.

~Ragnarok~
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Analysis of the Viking's Offense

"Ragnarok" wrote:
    Is Tarvaris Jackson the answer at QB?
    • [li]3.) Smart kid.
      Says all the right stuff in interviews, etc.
      Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
      Nice guy.[/li]
    Not really sure if that's the sort of "smarts" that translates to wins on the field.

I honestly don't see the confidence in his eyes when I watch these games. Not really sure what exactly I mean by that... but that's how I feel.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

When I read the title of this thread I wondered, what offensse. TJ handing AD the ball?

"CCthebest" wrote:
    When I read the title of this thread I wondered, what offensse. TJ handing AD the ball?
    It's a valid point, but it doesn't allow me to type this long-winded post. ;D
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Analysis of the Vikings Offense

Maybe it should be renamed the "Snakeoil offense"

They sold it as the next best thing since sliced bread, but it was delivered full of mold.

Watching Childress coach and give his post game interviews I feel like the residents of Gary Indiana must have felt when the music man came to town. I just hope he can get the band to play as well in the end.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I am not sure I agree with everything in there, however, it is a pretty well thought out post with some very valid points in there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Good, well thought out post...a lot of good stuff to consider here. My main concern is the QB, for whatever reason is given.

Now, does Jackson (and other QBs thus far) look bad because:
    A.) he/they just aren't that good, or ready to start, in Jackson's case.
    I believe this is a factor.
    B.) the coaches aren't allowing Jackson to "take control" of the offense by letting him play to his strengths.
    A distinct possibility, but I don't think they trust him with the offense as much as the've led on.
    C.) the WRs/TEs are either dropping passes or not getting open?
    Is the QB to blame for this?
    I think it's a combination.
    D.) the offensive scheme is not QB friendly?
    Not sure on this one.
    Would an average QB (at least) make this offense better?
    I'm starting to think even Brady, McNabb, or P. Manning would struggle in this offense.
    I am now officially in favor of scripting the first 15-20 plays and see what develops. This takes a lot of pressure off the offense (esp the QB) and now they only have to execute plays that have been practiced over and over all week long. I was never a fan of it, but I think this is exactly what our offense needs at this time. IMO, it's not like we actually audible plays based on the defense, so how much worse can the results be?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

Sounds pretty accurate.
    I feel that the biggest thing is a lack of confidence in TJ's ability leading to a very predictable offensive play calling.
    Even the announcers were predicting the play before it happened!
    I like what I see (other than the losing part), and firmly believe that it is just a few tweaks away from becoming a very effective winning machine.
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Ragnarok" wrote:
    ~Analysis of the Vikings Offense~

I've refrained from placing 100% of the blame on one particular aspect because I believe it's become a "Perpetual Motion Machine of Failure" the past 2 1/8 seasons.

You should have that expression trademarked.

Lmao.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I agree with you for the most part. I honestly like Chilly as a head coach but dislike him for his influence on the offense. From day one he has been about having players fit the scheme instead of playing to your players strengths.

It seems like the only reason we were 8-8 last year instead another 6-10 was because AP single handedly (on offense) won 2 games for us.

I love TJack. I want to encourage him. But after 3 or 4 years of college ball and 3 years in the NFL, if you can't consistently throw a catchable ball on routes less than 10 yards, you don't belong in this league. At least not as a starter.

Every single pass that Aaron Rodgers completes makes me want to pull my hair out because the Packers have a QB who can throw catchable balls and we don't. The Packers have a coach who calls plays that gets the QB in to some rhythm and we don't. The Packers have an OC who will call a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 5 instead of a frickin 30 yard bomb to a WR that hasn't caught a single ball yet. It's so bad right now that I wish we had Kyle frickin' Orton!

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. Basically I agree with your analysis. My solutions are:
    1. Keep Chilly and get a new OC who knows what he is doing. Bevell is just a yes-man.
    2. Bench Shancoe.
    3. Let TJ run the damn offense. He looked good in the 2nd half of the Packers game when we came out passing. We are handcuffing the guy and demanding him to play without giving him the chance to get in to any sort of rhythm.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast