Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re: Analysis: Special Teams at Risk

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    and firing the coach will.
    Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.
    Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?
    Teaching your guys to stay in their lanes would be a start.
    If they don't know that by now, they should not be in the NFL.
    Easy to say.
    Doesn't mean they do it.

Professional basketball players know how to box out on rebounds.
    Doesn't mean they consistently do it.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Freakout" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    Yes it will. Chilli has to hold his coaches accountable. This is not based on just this season. Our ST unit has been mediocre at best for the last 3 seasons. It was just so much more obvious this year with Farwell getting injured. The offense has taken baby steps each year, the defense has taken leaps. The only unit going backwards is Special Teams. Thats says something about the coach in charge.
    Enlighten me. How will firing the coach change the productivity of our special teams?
    Easy to say.
    Doesn't mean they do it.

Professional basketball players know how to box out on rebounds.
    Doesn't mean they consistently do it.
    Get rid of them then.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Has anyone done an analysis of the progression of the STs over the course of the season?
    Going off my memory (which is good, but a bit short) they made progress and were playing at least average.
    The pathetic kick returning situations and almost always having bad field position seems to have stood out in my memory.
    If you look at the O, D, and ST; it seems that the STs were the weakest link last year.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    a. The will work on kicking (Punting) to the sideline (outside the hash to out of bounds).
    b. Returners won't run to the center of the field as thier first move but wil make an actual cut to the outside instead.
    c. OL will know what to do when a side is overloaded which could result in a blocked FG.
    d. Punts will be to a spot that will be the same spot the coverage unit is running to...

etc etc etc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    a. The will work on kicking (Punting) to the sideline (outside the hash to out of bounds).
    b. Returners won't run to the center of the field as thier first move but wil make an actual cut to the outside instead.
    c. OL will know what to do when a side is overloaded which could result in a blocked FG.
    d. Punts will be to a spot that will be the same spot the coverage unit is running to...

etc etc etc.
    The coverage in some games wasn't even at the level of pee-wee football.
    Containing the outside is ST 101, first thing you learn in STs.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    So you contend that the players in the NFL know everything to know about ST's?

On a side note, the whole staying in their lanes discussion would be worth having if someone could convince me that the players were running (in thier lanes) to the predetermined spot for the play the ST's coach called.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

etc etc etc.
    The coverage in some games wasn't even at the level of pee-wee football.
    Containing the outside is ST 101, first thing you learn in STs.
    Exactly.

Sometimes I marvel at some of the posts we read in this area.
    Hell, I would bet that 85% (I like pulling numbers out of my ass) of the posters on here are convinced that one guy (Heath) will come back and make it all right.

If I'm not mistaken, he can only cover one lane right?

Still say this is directly related to the whole ST's to include the Coach and Kicker as the first points that need to be addressed.

Looks like I won't get my wish with the coach, however, there is still a possibility the kicking will be improved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12