Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: amazing culpepper break down on fins forum

"PatWilliamsBelly" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I could post more but that last paragraph pretty much sums up a QB rating. It also pretty much sums up over half of the guys arguments.
    That said, I think there is some QB "game management" in the way the guy plays on 3rd and 4th down. "Managing the game" basically boils down to how well the QB keeps the chains moving, which basically boils down to converting 3rd and 4th downs. Avoiding turnovers is another aspect of game management.

I was only able to find stats for this for the past 2 seasons. Culpepper's conversion rate on 3rd and 4th downs has been excellent. Over the last 2 years, he has converted 98/196 (50%). This is the same as Payton Manning (119 of 238), but better than Brees (121/264 – 45.8%) and Brady (122/270 – 45.1%). Gus supporters claim he was a good game manager last year, but he converted only 50/160 third and 4th downs last year, which comes out to 31.25%. These numbers do not include plays in which the QB ran for a 1st down on 3rd or 4th down.
    Funny how he was only able to find the stats of the last two seasons one of which was 2004 that included Moss who made up near half of our third down percentage conversions.

Also funny is while he mentions Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Those two guys are WINNING and in the playoffs every year....if not more.....kind of funny how that works.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I could post more but that last paragraph pretty much sums up a QB rating. It also pretty much sums up over half of the guys arguments.
    That said, I think there is some QB "game management" in the way the guy plays on 3rd and 4th down. "Managing the game" basically boils down to how well the QB keeps the chains moving, which basically boils down to converting 3rd and 4th downs. Avoiding turnovers is another aspect of game management.

I was only able to find stats for this for the past 2 seasons. Culpepper's conversion rate on 3rd and 4th downs has been excellent. Over the last 2 years, he has converted 98/196 (50%). This is the same as Payton Manning (119 of 238), but better than Brees (121/264 – 45.8%) and Brady (122/270 – 45.1%). Gus supporters claim he was a good game manager last year, but he converted only 50/160 third and 4th downs last year, which comes out to 31.25%. These numbers do not include plays in which the QB ran for a 1st down on 3rd or 4th down.
    Funny how he was only able to find the stats of the last two seasons one of which was 2004 that included Moss who made up near half of our third down percentage conversions.

Also funny is while he mentions Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Those two guys are WINNING and in the playoffs every year....if not more.....kind of funny how that works.
    However you want to look at it, the Vikes downgraded at QB

Thanks for the gift

<--- Phins fan :grin:

Prophet Guest

Yeah, but my dad can beat up your dad.

PatWilliamsBelly, funny handle, cracks me up every time I see it.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"SharperVikings" wrote:
    Good for them...one thing they did leave out is that he is very inconsistent! one game he can be amazing and the next not! he's choked in 2 of the 3 biggest games of his life...(@nyg and @phi)...he can put up numbers, but what was his record?? thats all that matters!
    We're losing games...it can ONLY be the quarterback's fault! Let's trade him and basically ignore everything else by getting the 9th or 10th-best players free agency has to offer!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Del Rio Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Thanks for the gift

Wow, what a convincing and wonderful rebuttal.

Trust me, if your sorry ass team can't win a superbowl with the greatest QB of all time, then Daunte Culpepper isn't going to do you much better.

You did get a steal no doubt, you guys would have pissed your second round pick away anyways. So this is a safe deal for you. Like I said before the guy wont play much this year, so you wont get to enjoy Culpepper as a full time starter until 2007.

Either way if he flops and his EXPLODED knee gives way, all you spent is a 2nd round pick. If everything works out good and you he will make fantasy owners happy and your team still wont do shit in the playoffs....and all it cost you was a second round pick.

Basically you will be just like you always are. Mediocre only with good stats.

Enjoy, don't forget to take a mint on your way out. You get one free with the purchase of a Daunte, just so after your done tossing his salad no one has to know.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Thanks for the gift

Trust me, if your sorry jiggly butt team can't win a superbowl with the greatest QB of all time, then Daunte Culpepper isn't going to do you much better.

You did get a steal no doubt, you guys would have pissed your second round pick away anyways. So this is a safe deal for you. Like I said before the guy wont play much this year, so you wont get to enjoy Culpepper as a full time starter until 2007.

Either way if he flops and his EXPLODED knee gives way, all you spent is a 2nd round pick. If everything works out good and you he will make fantasy owners happy and your team still wont do pooh in the playoffs....and all it cost you was a second round pick.

Enjoy, don't forget to take a mint on your way out. You get one free with the purchase of a Daunte, just so after your done tossing his salad no one has to know.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll always be mediocre? I think you're forgetting we're still up 2-0 with superbowls over your team (and you must have forgotten we beat you in the superbowl). It's ok... i'd want to block that out too.

We'll see what happens this year though I'd be very surprised if we don't make the playoffs. Daunte will start 10-12 games this year... trust me on that.

Del Rio Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Rio

Thanks for the gift

Trust me, if your sorry jiggly butt team can't win a superbowl with the greatest QB of all time, then Daunte Culpepper isn't going to do you much better.

Either way if he flops and his EXPLODED knee gives way, all you spent is a 2nd round pick. If everything works out good and you he will make fantasy owners happy and your team still wont do pooh in the playoffs....and all it cost you was a second round pick.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll always be mediocre? I think you're forgetting we're still up 2-0 with superbowls over your team (and you must have forgotten we beat you in the superbowl). It's ok... i'd want to block that out too.

We'll see what happens this year though I'd be very surprised if we don't make the playoffs. Daunte will start 10-12 games this year... trust me on that.
    I guarantee he will not start that many games. Make sure you remember to come back and collect your crow when he plays the last 5 games of the season for you guys.

Trust me I didn't forget you won the superbowl 32 years ago, probably before you were born. Keep in mind I never said my team isn't mediocre :grin: I would be the first to admit we always underachieve.

I hope you do make the playoffs. 9-7 last year with who you had, you have a good coach.....besides if we want to see Daunte play you will have to make the playoffs. The guy won't be ready until the end of the season.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Look at Randy's numbers here and compare them to his numbers in Oakland.... Not the same topic at all, JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT !

Del Rio Guest

"Yes, he does fumble a lot. However, even if you treat the fumbles as interceptions, his numbers are still great. A rushing attempt is akin to a completed pass, albeit usually a short one. They usually come on passing downs and are positive yardage plays. If you look at combined rushing and passing numbers and treat each rushing attempt as a pass attempt and a completion, each rushing TD as a passing TD, and each fumble as an interception, Culpepper's adjusted rating comes out to 92.6"

This is also flawed logic. Your definately tipping the equation in your favor when you are chalking up each rush attempt TO A COMPLETION! LMAO WTF!!!????

Oh well he only turned the ball over 167 TIMES!!! 32 more times then he scored......BUT IF we just go ahead and count every rush attempt as a pass completion, it all evens out in the wash....LOL Jesus.

Forget that the first part of the equation weights on the QB rating more then any other part then I guess you have a real solid point.

This guy is not stating facts, he is taking statistics and plugging them into his own equations to DOWNPLAY the major problems Daunte has.

WE KNOW he can throw the ball, we know he COULD run, we know he is accurate........but we also know he turned the ball over 167times, we also know that 46% of his TD passes were to Randy Moss, 32% of his completions were to Randy Moss, 41% of his third down completions were to Randy Moss, and when Moss was out of the equation he struggled.

He is a good QB who has problems with certain things that he may or may not overcome. As far as this article goes, this list of FACTS, it leaves way more questions then it does answers and it makes use of some serious selective fallacy to try and write off MAJOR concerns as minor boo boo's

If the point of the article is to take a scientific approach to the situation it FAILED. If the point is to say "calm down guys we got a great deal" Then I say it is true, I also say it is a waste of time when he could have just said "calm down guys we got a great deal."

More then likely it is an attempt to overload the reader with information much of which is inaccurate knowing full well they will not take the time to READ the entire thing or even check to see if he was right.

Del Rio Guest

"whiteviking24" wrote:
    Look at Randy's numbers here and compare them to his numbers in Oakland.... Not the same topic at all, JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT !
    Doesn't change the point, they are dependant on each other.

Randy still managed great numbers, not as great. So maybe Randy doesn't need Daunte persay but a QB that will just throw the ball up there and let him make a play. Maybe Daunte doesn't need Randy Perse just a WR who will take the thinking out of the QB position and dummy it down so he can just throw the ball up in the vicinity and let someone else make a play.

Maybe Chris Chambers is that guy, I am guessing since Chirs Chambers doesn't force the defensive schemes to change like Randy does, that he isn't. We won't know until we see it on the field. I always thought Culpepper could get out of Moss's shadow. He has the talent. When given the opportunity thus far he has failed. Hopefully in Miami he can do that.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast