Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re:Am I the only one Worried?

Marrdro wrote:
    Since Free Agency began at Midnight EST Friday, there has been a flurry of activity, most notably among two of our NFC North division rivals, the Bears and the Lions. It's easy to take a look at a few signings by one team, or a loss of free agents by another, and then proclaim that one team is all of a sudden better, another team is worse, and the football world as we know it has been flipped on it's ear. Well, it's not always that simple. If we break things down a little more, I think we'll see that the Vikings aren't as bad as we think, and that the Bears and Lions still have a way to go to catch the purple...with one notable exception, of course. But to read some places on the Internet, the Vikings are worse and getting worse with each passing day. I'd like to present my rebuttal, after the jump.
    Reports of the Vikings Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated
    Nice article Marr! He makes some good points there...on defense:

The Bears are still a year older, Tommie Harris still is injury prone and playing on a degenerative knee, Brian Urlacher is still coming back off a season ending injury, and their secondary still hasn't upgraded a unit that was 28th in touchdown passes surrendered last season.
    On their rushing game/OL...

The Bears still haven't upgraded an offensive line that helped lead the Bears to the 29th ranked rushing attack, and Taylor was just okay running behind the Vikings line last year. His value was as a third down back, but if the Bears don't address their issues on the line, Taylor will be a wasted asset, much like a manners class would be on Jay Cutler.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

mountainviking wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Since Free Agency began at Midnight EST Friday, there has been a flurry of activity, most notably among two of our NFC North division rivals, the Bears and the Lions. It's easy to take a look at a few signings by one team, or a loss of free agents by another, and then proclaim that one team is all of a sudden better, another team is worse, and the football world as we know it has been flipped on it's ear. Well, it's not always that simple. If we break things down a little more, I think we'll see that the Vikings aren't as bad as we think, and that the Bears and Lions still have a way to go to catch the purple...with one notable exception, of course. But to read some places on the Internet, the Vikings are worse and getting worse with each passing day. I'd like to present my rebuttal, after the jump.
    Reports of the Vikings Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated
    Nice article Marr! He makes some good points there...on defense:

The Bears are still a year older, Tommie Harris still is injury prone and playing on a degenerative knee, Brian Urlacher is still coming back off a season ending injury, and their secondary still hasn't upgraded a unit that was 28th in touchdown passes surrendered last season.
    On their rushing game/OL...

The Bears still haven't upgraded an offensive line that helped lead the Bears to the 29th ranked rushing attack, and Taylor was just okay running behind the Vikings line last year. His value was as a third down back, but if the Bears don't address their issues on the line, Taylor will be a wasted asset, much like a manners class would be on Jay Cutler.
    In the end, they did get better this year and they will be tougher beats, at least in the near term.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I just have no confidence in next year. Even if Favre comes back I feel like we've gotten worse while the bears and packers have gotten better, along with every other team in the league. I guess its because we've only lost players and not signed anyone, I think i'll feel better after the draft. But is anyone else concerned about our ability to contend seriously next year?
    Yes, it is perfectly rational to get worried in early March of the offseason. Especially before the draft and at the very beginning of free agency when the team is sitting on its hands due to finishing in the top four teams in the NFL. Especially when the team sucks ass, I mean, after all, they lost five games last year and missed the Super Bowl. Not only that, McKinnie is dry humping a 87 yr old whore in Miami as I am typing this and Tahi is looking up blocking in the Webster dictionary as the whizzinator is appealing on his denial of becoming ballboy. Fuck yeah. Be concerned, either that or bang your head into a cement wall for 30 minutes and then return and start over on your thoughts.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    I just have no confidence in next year. Even if Favre comes back I feel like we've gotten worse while the bears and packers have gotten better, along with every other team in the league. I guess its because we've only lost players and not signed anyone, I think i'll feel better after the draft. But is anyone else concerned about our ability to contend seriously next year?
    Yes, it is perfectly rational to get worried in early March of the offseason. Especially before the draft and at the very beginning of free agency when the team is sitting on its hands due to finishing in the top four teams in the NFL. Especially when the team sucks ass, I mean, after all, they lost five games last year and missed the Super Bowl. Not only that, McKinnie is dry humping a 87 yr old whore in Miami as I am typing this and Tahi is looking up blocking in the Webster dictionary as the whizzinator is appealing on his denial of becoming ballboy. Fuck yeah. Be concerned, either that or bang your head into a cement wall for 30 minutes and then return and start over on your thoughts.
    Internet meanie......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

We certainly have some holes, but what team doesn't at this point in the year?

The important thing is that we have plenty of time to address these holes. Wilf hasn't failed us yet. He's always been somewhat aggressive.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

This past season was almost too good to be true from the Favre signing to the devastating loss in OT to the Saints which I will never forget. Following this team everyday of my life really takes a toll after never achieving the real goal and all the let-downs.. I love the game and I love our team, the Vikings are a huge part of my life and I really hope we can win the Superbowl next season with Favre back for one more run.
    THAT OLD LADY IS NOT ME..HAHA

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Bleedin Purple wrote:
    This past season was almost too good to be true....to the devastating loss in OT to the Saints which I will never forget.
    How was that too good to be true?
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

No worries, the positives are on the Vikings side. The Vikings are repeat division champs, with both QB's who achieved those wins still on our roster. The core of our team, in fact, the majority of our team (and staff) is returning.

I'll put it simply, this is what we as Vikings fans have to look forward to next season...

Favre/Jackson-division winning QB's
    A.P.
    Rice
    Harvin
    Shiancoe
    Allen
    Williams X2

... I could name more but you get the idea.

Skol!

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I am not worried whatsoever. I believe that we have a chance to be even better than last year if we make minimal moves in the free agency market and do a terrific job on the draft. I can't believe that I am saying this but I like what the Vikings front office is doing right now. No need to spend loads of cash about on players from other teams now. Out of all the free agent WR from the 08 season and found new teams in 09, none of them made the Pro Bowl. Also, I wouldn't be counting on LT to sign with us. It could happen but I don't expect him to sign with us if he can get alot more money with another team. He will not make anywhere near what he wants to make with us though. Let's see what this rich RB draft will bring for us. Plus Albert Young is there. He is more than capable of the backup running back.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast