Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I think that Verner is going to sign with us because he fits Zimmer perfectly. Zimmer loves ball hawks like Verner and he and Rhodes would be really solid. I also would be quite OK with bringing back Cook as a nickel with Robinson and Sherels and a draft pick rounding out six CBs on the roster.

Verner has to be priority No. 1. He would be a huge get and a huge upgrade right away for us.
    Cook as nickel, Robinson and Sherells as cornerbacks is the worst plan I've heard. Cook and Robinson are busts, and Sherells is a punt returner only.
    Cornerback position on the Vikings won't be settled until all three of these guys are off the team as cornerbacks. Verner would be a move in the right direction.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan620 View Post
    Agreed. And Brinkley isnt officially a viking, his contract is void if he doesnt make the team,plus he is just depth. Cook I think would be very good in the nickel where they tried to play Robinson, whos NEVER played there in his career. The last staff was most to blame for the lapses this team had, there is quite a bit of talent on this roster and Zimmer sees it and will get the best out of them. A guy I like on the roster is CB Shaun Prater, he looked good last year when the secondary was thin with injuries. I look for him to make the final roster this year. But Cook wont be back cause he is a tool off the field. SIGN VERNER,DRAFT MACK OR PRYOR 1ST ROUND
    Cook in the nickle? God no.. He doesn't have the agility or the quickness needed to play that position. He is an above average tackler though but he would get eaten alive.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Cook as nickel, Robinson and Sherells as cornerbacks is the worst plan I've heard. Cook and Robinson are busts, and Sherells is a punt returner only.
    Cornerback position on the Vikings won't be settled until all three of these guys are off the team as cornerbacks. Verner would be a move in the right direction.
    Robinson isn't a bust. He is not a nickle. There is a huge difference between an outside Cb and a nickle zone CB. If they move him back outside... it think he has the potential to be really good.

On the outside, you have help in one direction thanks to the sideline. There is only so far the QB can throw the ball. You are more worried about the length of the throw and the distance you have to cover. In the nickle, the pass patterns are usually shorter and you have the entire field width of the field to worry about (man coverage) also, you have to be more aware of pick players and screens/ bubbles. Lastly, you are also focus on run coverage. and containment. 2 different positions.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Robinson isn't a bust. He is not a nickle. There is a huge difference between an outside Cb and a nickle zone CB. If they move him back outside... it think he has the potential to be really good.

On the outside, you have help in one direction thanks to the sideline. There is only so far the QB can throw the ball. You are more worried about the length of the throw and the distance you have to cover. In the nickle, the pass patterns are usually shorter and you have the entire field width of the field to worry about (man coverage) also, you have to be more aware of pick players and screens/ bubbles. Lastly, you are also focus on run coverage. and containment. 2 different positions.
    +1 Good analysis

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    I think signing a quality CB should be high priority in free agency. A co-worker friend who's a Viking fan and I agree that Verner should be a great signing. Take him out to dinner like they did with Greg Jennings, and don't let him leave without signing with the Vikings! If we can't get him, Revis or Vontae Davis would both help the pass defense get a lot better.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I hope the Vikes get a top CB today, but won't hold my breath.

purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Sign verner you say dont want to over pay ..well a cb of his calliber and age ...i not sure if you can over pay ...if you want him sign him he is worth top pay ...biring him in and joseph from the giants ...wow that would be an up grade ...then draft draft draft

smegmavike is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post

Pretty sure I know the difference between the two positions.
    How does that explain his performance the year before when he was ranked 51 out 51 cornerbacks, dead last , when he played outside ?
    2012-2013 Final NFL Cornerback Rankings: (page 3)
    I guess you will say he's a rookie or maybe it was the cover 2 scheme, and hopefully you are right. But the eyeball test shows a player that, despite being the fastest guy at the combine, rarely contests any throws. I have this image of Robinson clapping his hands together after the receiver catches the ball. Kind of like the image of Cook trailing receivers into the end zone. It happens over and over.
    I hope Zimmer can turn Robinson around. It would help this team a great deal.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleblood32 View Post
    Sign verner you say dont want to over pay ..well a cb of his calliber and age ...i not sure if you can over pay ...if you want him sign him he is worth top pay ...biring him in and joseph from the giants ...wow that would be an up grade ...then draft draft draft
    This guy will get at least $10M+/yr. If he comes in and doesn't give perennial pro-bowl performances will you still be singing that tune. It will also limit the other players that we can sign, not just this year, but in years to come.

Not saying he won't be worth it, just saying he better be worth it or you have a long time to deal with it. He wouldn't be the first sexy FA CB to get big money and then fail to deliver.

He's also stated pretty strongly that he wants to be on a SB contending team, not sure that he will put the Vikings on that list. Meaning we may have to offer significantly more than other teams to get him in purple.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    We are going to find out who the Vikes really want in about three hours, we shall see how involved the new regime wants to get in free agency. It could get really interesting

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast