Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: allow more publicly owned teams

Quote Originally Posted by "Reverend Conehead" #1089928
    What the @#$% does sunny LA have to do with Nordic Vikings?
    Probably about as much as LA has to do with Lakes and the Lakers or Dallas has to do with North Stars.Sh!t happens and some times teams move to seek better revenue streams. I am pretty sure the Lakers have never regretted moving to LA from Minneapolis and if they had stayed here I have no reason to believe they could have had the same impact on the league that they have out there.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089870
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089836
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089824
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089820
    It's worth pointing out that the only reason Green Bay was publicly traded is because they couldn't maintain financial viability back in the early years. In fact, it's not widely known but George Halas saved the Green Bay franchise on more than one occasion.

...probably so he'd have 2 guaranteed wins per year...

It's worth noting also that despite the alleged "success" of the Packers being publicly traded, no other franchise is ALLOWED to do so. Why is that? If it works so well there, why not allow other franchises to mirror that "success story"?

Just another pro-Green Bay NFL contradiction to throw into the "Why I hate the Packers" bucket...

...like I needed more reasons...

Caine

The Green Bay Packers loaned Halas $1500 in 1932 in order to save the Chicago Bears franchise. He borrowed money from his mother, his mother-in-law, and the Pack.

The Bears have never loaned the Packers a dime.

Halas was instrumental in public relations in 1956 to convince Packer fans that it was wise to support their form of ownership. That is the FORM of his assistance... not anything financial. That is the "saved".

Maybe it's the soft spot he held because without that loan way back in '32, the Bears would have folded right then and there.

He did the same thing (public relations) in 1922 with the rest of the league as regards the Packers, having to do with their use of college football players. The league was going to ban the Pack, but he was guilty of the exact same rule infraction, including getting one of the players from the Pack, so in order to enforce prohibitions against the GB franchise, they would have had to do the same to the Bears.

Those are your "saved" the Packers, and I guess to Norse mythologists, they are totally legit.

Or maybe that one Bears fan buddy you have (Caine) that told you the Bears didn't try in week 17, thereby making that a fact (to you), lol

Now, for some real facts. The team that Halas helped the most?

YOURS.

He was THE driving force for the NFL bringing a franchise to Minneapolis.
    I would favor mythology over revision I suppose.
    Fact is, The Chicago Cardinals and N.Y. Giants played a regular season NFL game at the Metrodome in 1959. Over 26000 fans showed up.

Max Winter had been attemting to get an NFL team in the twin cities for a few years without success.

The decision was made to start a new football league. And there was a meeting in Mpls. by those interested.

In addition, the Chicago Cardinals were considering moving to the twin cities.

The NFL was concerened about a competing league and decided to grant teams to Minnesota and Dallas.

As Paul Harvey used to say, that's the rest of the story.

Given your expertese in early NFL history, we probably should allow you brag about those 6 championships your team won before World War II!
    Holy cow, I didn't even think the Metrodome was around in 1959. I guess it is due to be replaced.
    OK. Metropolitan stadium. Guess you showed me!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089935
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089870
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089836
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089824
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089820
    It's worth pointing out that the only reason Green Bay was publicly traded is because they couldn't maintain financial viability back in the early years. In fact, it's not widely known but George Halas saved the Green Bay franchise on more than one occasion.

...probably so he'd have 2 guaranteed wins per year...

It's worth noting also that despite the alleged "success" of the Packers being publicly traded, no other franchise is ALLOWED to do so. Why is that? If it works so well there, why not allow other franchises to mirror that "success story"?

Just another pro-Green Bay NFL contradiction to throw into the "Why I hate the Packers" bucket...

...like I needed more reasons...

Caine

The Green Bay Packers loaned Halas $1500 in 1932 in order to save the Chicago Bears franchise. He borrowed money from his mother, his mother-in-law, and the Pack.

The Bears have never loaned the Packers a dime.

Halas was instrumental in public relations in 1956 to convince Packer fans that it was wise to support their form of ownership. That is the FORM of his assistance... not anything financial. That is the "saved".

Maybe it's the soft spot he held because without that loan way back in '32, the Bears would have folded right then and there.

He did the same thing (public relations) in 1922 with the rest of the league as regards the Packers, having to do with their use of college football players. The league was going to ban the Pack, but he was guilty of the exact same rule infraction, including getting one of the players from the Pack, so in order to enforce prohibitions against the GB franchise, they would have had to do the same to the Bears.

Those are your "saved" the Packers, and I guess to Norse mythologists, they are totally legit.

Or maybe that one Bears fan buddy you have (Caine) that told you the Bears didn't try in week 17, thereby making that a fact (to you), lol

Now, for some real facts. The team that Halas helped the most?

YOURS.

He was THE driving force for the NFL bringing a franchise to Minneapolis.
    I would favor mythology over revision I suppose.
    Fact is, The Chicago Cardinals and N.Y. Giants played a regular season NFL game at the Metrodome in 1959. Over 26000 fans showed up.

Max Winter had been attemting to get an NFL team in the twin cities for a few years without success.

The decision was made to start a new football league. And there was a meeting in Mpls. by those interested.

In addition, the Chicago Cardinals were considering moving to the twin cities.

The NFL was concerened about a competing league and decided to grant teams to Minnesota and Dallas.

As Paul Harvey used to say, that's the rest of the story.

Given your expertese in early NFL history, we probably should allow you brag about those 6 championships your team won before World War II!
    Holy cow, I didn't even think the Metrodome was around in 1959. I guess it is due to be replaced.
    OK. Metropolitan stadium. Guess you showed me!
    :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456