Allow challenges of some penalties?

There was a bogus facemask call the Super Bowl. I can see why the ref called it. From his angle, it looked like the facemask had been grabbed. However, in reality the player was grabbing the jersey under the facemask. On that drive the Steelers scored after being spotted 15 unwarranted points. Fortunately, the bad call didn't affect the outcome of the game, and other than that the officiating was pretty good.

Still, it could have affected the outcome. I'm wondering if a coach should be allowed to challenge some penalties. Facemasks and pass interference calls come to mind. I don't think I would allow a challenge of a non-call, but it seems to me an actual penalty should be reviewable. The goal of instant replay was to get a more accurately officiated game. It seems that challenges of some penalties should be allowed if the coach has a challenge available. What do you think?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Allow challenges of some penalties?

Quote Originally Posted by "Reverend Conehead" #1089544
    There was a bogus facemask call the Super Bowl. I can see why the ref called it. From his angle, it looked like the facemask had been grabbed. However, in reality the player was grabbing the jersey under the facemask. On that drive the Steelers scored after being spotted 15 unwarranted points. Fortunately, the bad call didn't affect the outcome of the game, and other than that the officiating was pretty good.

Still, it could have affected the outcome. I'm wondering if a coach should be allowed to challenge some penalties. Facemasks and pass interference calls come to mind. I don't think I would allow a challenge of a non-call, but it seems to me an actual penalty should be reviewable. The goal of instant replay was to get a more accurately officiated game. It seems that challenges of some penalties should be allowed if the coach has a challenge available. What do you think?
    Agreed.

Challenges on non-procedural penalties like PI and facemasks, block in the back could be included as well. Maybe not holding though, too subjective and not a big enough penalty. Pass interference can be very subjective as well, but the impact can be huge.

jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Allow challenges of some penalties?

Quote Originally Posted by "Reverend Conehead" #1089544

I like the idea, and I remember that call. It was a perfect legal tackle. Easily reviewable and reversible if allowed. Getting called for that penalty has to be depressing for a player when in reality he didn't do anything.
    None