Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Allen impresses defensive coordinator

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/95728424.html?elr=KArksDyycyUtyycyUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Allen impresses defensive coordinator
    Posted by Judd Zulgad
    Last update: June 6, 2010 - 2:37 PM

Vikings starting cornerbacks Cedric Griffin (ACL) and Antoine Winfield (foot) have not participated in Organized Team Activities this spring, although it's expected Winfield will be present for the mandatory minicamp next weekend. (Griffin already is doing rehab work at Winter Park.)

Nonetheless, Griffin and Winfield's absences have given the Vikings' other corners an opportunity to get plenty of work and make a favorable impression. One guy who has done exactly that is Asher Allen, who was selected in the third-round out of Georgia a year ago. Allen was inactive for the Vikings' first six games last season but got on the field after Winfield broke his foot in October against Baltimore.

The young corners have done well," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. "Asher Allen has really stepped up and had a great set of OTAs. Now, youve got to get to pads, but hes done well. Chris Cook has done a good job for us, Benny Sapp has done a good job. All those corners have really come along. Lito Sheppard is still learning the system because there are a few tweaks on what he remembers from Philadelphia. But still there is some carry over from him. But hes been at the OTAs, hes helped us a lot. I think were going to be all right at corner.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Allen impresses defensive coordinator

Great to hear, but again, its OTA's. I'm actually curious to see all our corners in preseason, and see how they look. Griffen and Winfield both have injuries to overcome, I'd love to see Sheppard step in and make an immediate impact, and I wanna see how Sapps progression has come along.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Allen impresses defensive coordinator

I have been a fan of AA since the beginning I believe. He is good enough to start in this league.
    We're bringing purple back.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Allen impresses defensive coordinator

I'm with gregair, I've always liked asher allen. I basically liked everyone from last years draft class, but especially allen, and even more so when he came in to play. If chris cook pans out and allen steps it up, we could have an excellent and young defense with allen, griffen, and cook with winfield and sheppard providing vet leadership.

I just hope sanford can push williams out of a safety job, then we would have a very young defensive backfield, with lots of potential.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Allen impresses defensive coordinator

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I'm with gregair, I've always liked asher allen. I basically liked everyone from last years draft class, but especially allen, and even more so when he came in to play. If chris cook pans out and allen steps it up, we could have an excellent and young defense with allen, griffen, and cook with winfield and sheppard providing vet leadership.

I just hope sanford can push williams out of a safety job, then we would have a very young defensive backfield, with lots of potential.
    They did add another DB coach this year. My guess is they didn't do it because they anticipated having a bunch of seasoned vets on the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg