Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Alert: Non Childress hater here!

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I will give Childress one thing though. He is a good talent evaluator. Maybe not for his scheme, but he has definitely had two of the better drafts in recent memory.
    Scott Studwell & our team of scouts have a lot to do with the talent selected in that draft as well.

And don't forget the players Childress also brought in here that are no longer here for obvious reasons.

Also put Bollinger, Drew Henson & Mike Mann on that list that the QB guru brought in here.
    True, he's had his ups and downs with McMahon, McMullen, etc. I have to give Childress and the staff a little bit of credit though... we have the talent he just isn't coaching it the right way (Shiancoe can't block, AD should be in more, Cook needs serious help, etc). Again, at the end of the year I'll make up my mind on Brad. We could turn it around, you never know. At least he has the fact that we've been in every game up to this point to hang his hat on.
    This year might not be enough to really decide, but we need to see progress & changes if need be. True, I don't think a lot of players are being coached right, but you can't hang that all on Childress.

Childress isn't coaching every aspect of the game. The coaches you need to be faulting are the coaches under him. I.E. the OC, O-Line coach, WR coach, QB coach, etc., etc.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I believe this is a Non-hating Childress thread.
    A sanctuary for some.

Please stay on topic or enl will jam his baton up your wazoo!

You dont want to argue. Fine.

I'll just say this. Having no superstars is no excuse. You don't need superstars to win. You need good coaching to make the guys you got do there job and execute. If you ever played football you would know it is all on the coaching. If the coach can get every body to execute there job then you win games. Individuals don't have to be superstars. They just have to be good enough to execute there job and there job alone. If one guy doesn't do his job a possible touchdown turns to a negative gain. And every guy on that team knows that therefore works there butt off to make sure they do there job and the coach is there to make sure he's ready to execute.

You brought up Don Shula. That team was a bunch of no names and they went undefeated. Thats what made Shula great. He had no names and made a team. The No Name Defense was the best in the NFL. He made sure everybody executed there job on every play to make sure they were ready always. A good coach adjust's his scheme to the talent of his players. The O-line under preforming is the coaches not coaching them right or trying to force a different scheme and make them do stuff they're not used to or been taught to do. McKinnie under preforming is ther same. They haven't been doing the same stuff as last year. Also any football player never blames the kicker for a loss. Any real football player knows that if they hadn't gotten into that situation in the first place then they wouldn't have to rely on Ryan Longwell to kick a 55-56 yarder thats 7 yards longer then he's ever made before.

The team was fine. it wan't below average. He himself even said out of all his options he beleived the Vikings had the most talent so either he miss evaluated our talent, his wrong, or his screwed them all up, his bad. Yeah Matt Birk, Darren Sharper (What a nobody) Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Erasmus James, Napoleon Harris, Antoine Winfeld, Mywelde Moore, Thomas, and other nobodys. Dang! What no bodys, no talent and medicocre players.

Most scandel ridden team in the NFL? We had the love boat scandel but I don't recall much more then that.

I don't blame Childress' play calling because the plays don't work. I blame it because I don't like it when he has plays designed to go 6 yards on 3rd and 9 or 10. I don't like how he trys to set up certain plays. I don't like how he calls pass more then run when we're a running team on 3rd and 1 or 2 but he'll do it on 3rd and 4 or 5. I especially don't like how he never changes the scheme throughout the game. He does the same crap in the 4th quarter as he does in the 1st. You adjust as they adjust to you. By the end of the half they figured out our scheme and game plan and have a scheme planned against it and we dont adjust and loose. Hense 10-0 at the end of the half to Kansas City turns into 13-10 by the end of the game. Kept us scoreless because they adjusted we didnt.

i've admitted that Childress can draft scout and find players very well but thats all I've seen him do. And I can give some credit to the staff. You can have all the great player but if you can't coach them right they're as useless as having no talent on the team. Easy target but you like to stay realistic. Thats just to get us angry and you know it. I am being realistic. Just im not going to say anything to that.

Paul Brown said "The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others." Any good coach will blame himself for a loss and thats for a reason.

"Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:

I will give Childress one thing though. He is a good talent evaluator. Maybe not for his scheme, but he has definitely had two of the better drafts in recent memory.
    Scott Studwell & our team of scouts have a lot to do with the talent selected in that draft as well.

And don't forget the players Childress also brought in here that are no longer here for obvious reasons.

Also put Bollinger, Drew Henson & Mike McMahon on that list that the QB guru brought in here.
    I'm starting to wonder about Studwell and our draft picks, how many linebackers have we drafted

from 92-2002 while he was the player personnel coordinator

Patrick Chukwurah 5th round
    Antonio Wilson 4th round
    Chris Jones 5th round
    Antico Dalton 6th round
    Kailee Wong 2nd round drafted as a DE
    Kivuusama Mays 4th round
    Chester Burnett 7th round
    Dwayne Rudd 1st round
    Artie Ulmer 7th round
    John Solomon 6th round
    Jose White 7th round
    Pete Bercich 7th round
    Ashley Sheppard 4th round
    Ed McDaniel 5th round

and 2002 to present while director of college scouting

Dontarrious Thomas 2nd round
    Rod Davis 5th round
    E.J. Henderson 2nd round
    Michael Nattiel 6th round
    Raonall Smith 2nd round
    Nick Rogers 6th round

or some other higher round picks on the D line under his watch

Fernando Smith DE 2nd round 94
    Derrick Alexander DE 1st round 95 ouch
    Duane Clemons DE 1st round 96
    James Manley DT 2nd round 96
    Stalin Colinet DE 3rd round 97
    Ramos Macdonald 3rd round 98
    Dimitrus Underwood DE 1st round 99 bigger ouch
    Chris Hovan DT 1st round 2000
    Fred Robbins DT 2nd round 2000
    Michael Boireau DE 2nd round 2000
    Willie Howard DT 2nd round 2001
    Shawn Worthen DT 4th round 2001

Some of the defensive players have done well as starts, others as special team contributors and many didn't cut it.

Udeze and James have had injuries, Edwards and Scott are getting in there but Kevin Williams is the only current
    probowler on the defense the Vikes have drafted.

I might be wrong though may be Studwell scouted in Randy Moss, Robert Smith and Daunte Culpepper and steered clear of the defensive side of the draft

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Childress Pros:

I think the players are coming to respect him.
    He isn't throwing any of the players under the bus.

We have been in position in everygame to win or tie.
    We have a Defense that has kept the games close and an Offense that hasn't executed.
    Blame the coaches all you want if that makes you feel better.
    If I was to blame a coach, I would blame the D-co in the last game for not figuring out a way to stop Farve.
    The players were coming through the line and Farve was getting rid of the ball.
    Maybe the game plan was to hurry him thinking he would loft an INT.
    But he never really go put into the ground to get rattled.
    I remember one time that he was hit but he still got the ball away.
    We did get one sack in the stats.
    The last game we had a horrible 3rd down coversion and I might take that up with a coach also.

As far as the young'ns, AD, TJ, and Rice, I think it is baby steps with them.
    He is holding their hand and teaching them.
    He is not giving them too much to digest in any one game.

I really believe that in 2 years you will be saying is that Sidney or Jerry, Emmitt or Adrian, and well.... is that TJ or Holcomb (I like to kid).
    I even think that TJ will be a huge improvement.

We will see what the end of the season brings.
    We will see if we have quitters on this team if we head down the L path.
    But for right now, Chilly has them playing hard until the end.
    If the guys we have only had some more experience, I think that we are 3-1 right now.

As far as the Ex-Philly players that Chilly brought in... why are we jumping on him for that.
    What the hell was he suppose to do?
    He brought in and got rid of guys that he knew wouldn't amount to much.
    Baskett, even the Iggles knew they had to get another guy to replace him.
    Now if Chilly was starting Henson right now, I would have a problem.
    The only one that I was upset about was the Mosley for Bollinger, I thought that Mosely had more upside, but in hind sight, we needed a back up QB last season.
    I honestly believe that Chilly knew that the Ex-Iggles wouldn't be permanent fixtures on this team.
    Even Hicks was a scrub last year.
    I don't believe that Chilly thought Hicks was a fixture either when he went out and got him.

I believe that Chilly might be thinking longer term than all of us fans.
    He is/was filling holes with what else, Phillies(kind of like silly putty). Pun intended.

BTW, thanks for being optimistic with your post ENL!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I am neither pro nor anti Childress at this time. I want to see how the rest of the season plays out. I think we can win some games coming up. Bears, Eagles, Raiders..
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Also put Bollinger, Drew Henson & Mike McMahon on that list that the QB guru brought in here.
    I'm starting to wonder about Studwell and our draft picks, how many linebackers have we drafted

from 92-2002 while he was the player personnel coordinator

Patrick Chukwurah 5th round
    Antonio Wilson 4th round
    Chris Jones 5th round
    Antico Dalton 6th round
    Kailee Wong 2nd round drafted as a DE
    Kivuusama Mays 4th round
    Chester Burnett 7th round
    Dwayne Rudd 1st round
    Artie Ulmer 7th round
    John Solomon 6th round
    Jose White 7th round
    Pete Bercich 7th round
    Ashley Sheppard 4th round
    Ed McDaniel 5th round

and 2002 to present while director of college scouting

Dontarrious Thomas 2nd round
    Rod Davis 5th round
    E.J. Henderson 2nd round
    Michael Nattiel 6th round
    Raonall Smith 2nd round
    Nick Rogers 6th round

or some other higher round picks on the D line under his watch

Fernando Smith DE 2nd round 94
    Derrick Alexander DE 1st round 95 ouch
    Duane Clemons DE 1st round 96
    James Manley DT 2nd round 96
    Stalin Colinet DE 3rd round 97
    Ramos Macdonald 3rd round 98
    Dimitrus Underwood DE 1st round 99 bigger ouch
    Chris Hovan DT 1st round 2000
    Fred Robbins DT 2nd round 2000
    Michael Boireau DE 2nd round 2000
    Willie Howard DT 2nd round 2001
    Shawn Worthen DT 4th round 2001

Some of the defensive players have done well as starts, others as special team contributors and many didn't cut it.

Udeze and James have had injuries, Edwards and Scott are getting in there but Kevin Williams is the only current
    probowler on the defense the Vikes have drafted.

I might be wrong though may be Studwell scouted in Randy Moss, Robert Smith and Daunte Culpepper and steered clear of the defensive side of the draft

You may be right but so what if he drafted offensive. That shows balance in his scouting. Plus Last year. Linebacker
    Chad Greenway 1st round.

Two words. Brad Johnson.

"Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"enlvikeman" wrote:
    I thought I would bring this up.
    I'm not gonna go tit for tat with the Childress haters here because number 1, I am without a doubt outnumbered... 2 I understand the hatred for Childress.
    He's an easy target right now.
    I love the Vikings too, however I try to stay realistic.

Childress did not run this orginization into the ground.
    The Minnesota Vikings were the most scandel ridden team in the nfl with Tice's exodus.
    *cough* Bullshit *cough*

The Minnesota vikings had just lost both of their superstars prior to Childress's arrival.
    Moss and……
    Funny that “lost” is the word being thrown around now, I thought everyone was using “rid”.
    :

The Minnesota vikings had run the same offense from 1991 to 2005 (Or Green to Tice).
    This is rare...and your talking a huge overhaul.
    Overhaul one of the best offenses of all time? Dum da dum dum dum.

Childress inherits a below average football team.
    Devoid of any type of superstar player in any position.
    This is completley different from the Chargers situation where you have new coaches dragging a good team into the dirt.
    I can understand Charger fans disdain...but not ours.
    So, basically, you admit that Moss was this Offense.

I totally disagree that Childress inherited a “below average” team. We had a VERY capable Offense lead by TICE (yes, even Tice) and a Defense on the verge of playing some very good football.

Also, these “superstars” you’re referring to, they’re made –not born.

Pretty much no off field problems with our players to this date.
    Thumbs up to new coaching staff.
    There’s been a few...

Troy (I can’t catch a deep ball but I can catch a fist) Williamson at the Myth, Kevin Williams domestic with his wife, Cedric Griffin’s Disorderly at the Spin nightclub, Koren Robinson’s DWI, and then (the slap in the face) Fred Evens SIGNED by Childress AFTER having off the field problems. There might be more, I can’t remember everything.

Minnesota goes after players in free agency like never before.
    Paying to get the best guard in football.
    Leber, Longwell etc.
    Offers to other players are unsuccessful (like Kevin Curtis)
    I was all for getting Hutch, then I learn that he’ll be playing zone blocking, something he DIDN”T do in Seattle. And that it would take “time” for the o-line to learn the scheme.

Leber is solid. Longwell...doesn't always live up to his name. (Long+well)

Minnesota has the best draft in recent years under Childress.
    Fans happy...fans love Childress.
    Everybody knows you can’t officially judge a draft for at least three to four years. And everyone is always optomistic after a draft.

Brad Childress is not paying Mckinnie to play like he makes the league minimum.

Brad Childress is not paying Ryan Longwell to miss game winning field goals in a dome.
    In fact, Childress doesn’t pay them at all.

Brad Childress did not draft Troy williamson.
    Actually the people he has brought in via free agency/draft can actually catch.
    If only the revolving door of Quarterbacks he has brought in could find them.

We are a below average football team.
    This man does not want us to lose, nor does he want to be unemployed.
    The problem with the team is poor execution of correct offensive calls (overthrows, fumbles, drops, goal posts) and of course the apathy of some of our offensive linemen. Can we give this man a few years to make us into a competitor?
    Overthrows, fumbles, drops, etc… -that’s just football man. EVERY team deals with them on a weekly basis. What we need are more points on Offense, not more excuses why it can't be done.

THESE ARE NOT EXCUSES FOR THE VIKINGS PLAY...THEY ARE FACTS.
    I am not just pointing things like this out to be "against the grain" or "the one voice of opposition".
    I have always been supportive of head coaches getting years to turn a franchise around.
    The problem today is fans want to win today.
    I remember Don Shula stating years ago teams just do not want to hold onto coaches anymore and give them something to build on and be proud of.

I will sum up with this.
    I remember distinctly many moons ago when I was stationed in Ohio while in the Marines.
    I remember listening to some of the sports broadcasters from Columbus or it might have been Cleveland.
    The Cleveland Browns fans hated Bellicheck.
    More then most of you hate Childress.
    There main complaint with Bellichick was his playcalling... so be it I guess.
    That man was run right out of town.
    He went somewhere eventually and was given a chance by an owner.
    I agree that coaches need to be given some time to demonstrate their potential. But, with that time, they still have a job to do and that includes looking competant and showing progress. He can't sit back and wait for 5 or 6 draft and free agency periods to pass before you have the exact players that you want.

And I don't believe that Childress looks competant and the team deffinitly is not showing progress. In fact, I believe they are regressing and their record is going to show it by years end.

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:

Two words. Brad Johnson.

Two more.... ****** *********

Anyways, I didn't want to derail the conversation so I blanked out my two words.

I don't think that the players lost any respect in Chilly for that move.
    BJ hasn't had an arm since before he won his Ring.
    It is just a difference of opinion.
    Hopefully Romo doesn't get injured or TO will throw BJ under the bus.

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

We are a below average football team.
    This man does not want us to lose, nor does he want to be unemployed.
    The problem with the team is poor execution of correct offensive calls (overthrows, fumbles, drops, goal posts) and of course the apathy of some of our offensive linemen. Can we give this man a few years to make us into a competitor?
    Overthrows, fumbles, drops, etc… -that’s just football man. EVERY team deals with them on a weekly basis. What we need are more points on Offense, not more excuses why it can't be done.

THESE ARE NOT EXCUSES FOR THE VIKINGS PLAY...THEY ARE FACTS.
    I am not just pointing things like this out to be "against the grain" or "the one voice of opposition".
    I have always been supportive of head coaches getting years to turn a franchise around.
    The problem today is fans want to win today.
    I remember Don Shula stating years ago teams just do not want to hold onto coaches anymore and give them something to build on and be proud of.

I will sum up with this.
    I remember distinctly many moons ago when I was stationed in Ohio while in the Marines.
    I remember listening to some of the sports broadcasters from Columbus or it might have been Cleveland.
    The Cleveland Browns fans hated Bellicheck.
    More then most of you hate Childress.
    There main complaint with Bellichick was his playcalling... so be it I guess.
    That man was run right out of town.
    He went somewhere eventually and was given a chance by an owner.
    I agree that coaches need to be given some time to demonstrate their potential. But, with that time, they still have a job to do and that includes looking competant and showing progress. He can't sit back and wait for 5 or 6 draft and free agency periods to pass before you have the exact players that you want.

And I don't believe that Childress looks competant and the team deffinitly is not showing progress. In fact, I believe they are regressing and their record is going to show it by years end.
    With a young team that has to play mistake free football those overthrows and drops cost us 2 Ws.
    My take on the offense that Chilly has a definite hand in is how tight the reign is pulled.
    You have a coach that last year made himself in to the hard ass head coach.
    This year he lightened up with the players.
    This year, he is training the rooks to play within themselves.
    I am guessing late this season, he will loosen the reign and say go play ball.
    I know you all don't want to hear that, and Chilly isn't going to say that for anyone to hear it.
    What if Chilly is setting a firm foundation with the young players.
    What if he is not afraid of being called out on a website.
    What if he has job security and doesn't care about his head coaching record at this time.
    What if he is not egotistical?
    Of course he wants to win but what if he has enough conviction to know what it will take to win in a few years?
    Only time will tell and if those what ifs are true, as a fan you will not be so happy.

I don't think Chilly looks all that competent yet either.
    But I do know that our record could just as well be 3-1 instead of 1-3.

Food for thought: All the 4-0 teams have had above average QB play, and we have had two different QBs so far this season.
    None of our QBs are at the level of Romo, Favre, P-Man, or Brady. All these guys are leaders as well as descent QBs.
    To me that the exception to the position would be Romo.
    He was a product of Parcells (ring of fire) who is different that Chilly (teacher).
    Farve and the Pack are the exception to the great team but Favres experience has got him through this point and can make the young WRs look good, he will always get them the ball, they just need to be in the right spot and have the ability to catch it.
    Manning and Brady have great teams and they have the studs that enhance their passing ability and open up the field.
    They all have proven that they can open up the field and you can't stack the box.
    That seems to be the key to winning in the NFL.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast