Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Alert: Non Childress hater here!

I thought I would bring this up.
    I'm not gonna go tit for tat with the Childress haters here because number 1, I am without a doubt outnumbered...2 I understand the hatred for Childress.
    He's an easy target right now.
    I love the Vikings too, however I try to stay realistic.

Childress did not run this orginization into the ground.
    The Minnesota Vikings were the most scandel ridden team in the nfl with Tice's exodus.

The Minnesota vikings had just lost both of their superstars prior to Childress's arrival.

The Minnesota vikings had run the same offense from 1991 to 2005 (Or Green to Tice).
    This is rare...and your talking a huge overhaul.

Childress inherits a below average football team.
    Devoid of any type of superstar player in any position.
    This is completley different from the Chargers situation where you have new coaches dragging a good team into the dirt.
    I can understand Charger fans disdain...but not ours.

Pretty much no off field problems with our players to this date.
    Thumbs up to new coaching staff.

Minnesota goes after players in free agency like never before.
    Paying to get the best guard in football.
    Leber, Longwell etc.
    Offers to other players are unsuccessful (like Kevin Curtis)

Minnesota has the best draft in recent years under Childress.
    Fans happy...fans love Childress.

Brad Childress is not paying Mckinnie to play like he makes the league minimum.

Brad Childress is not paying Ryan Longwell to miss game winning field goals in a dome.

Brad Childress did not draft Troy williamson.
    Actually the people he has brought in via free agency/draft can actually catch.

We are a below average football team.
    This man does not want us to lose, nor does he want to be unemployed.
    The problem with the team is poor execution of correct offensive calls (overthrows, fumbles, drops, goal posts) and of course the apathy of some of our offensive linemen. Can we give this man a few years to make us into a competitor?

THESE ARE NOT EXCUSES FOR THE VIKINGS PLAY...THEY ARE FACTS.
    I am not just pointing things like this out to be "against the grain" or "the one voice of opposition".
    I have always been supportive of head coaches getting years to turn a franchise around.
    The problem today is fans want to win today.
    I remember Don Shula stating years ago teams just do not want to hold onto coaches anymore and give them something to build on and be proud of.

I will sum up with this.
    I remember distinctly many moons ago when I was stationed in Ohio while in the Marines.
    I remember listening to some of the sports broadcasters from Columbus or it might have been Cleveland.
    The Cleveland Browns fans hated Bellicheck.
    More then most of you hate Childress.
    There main complaint with Bellichick was his playcalling...so be it I guess.
    That man was run right out of town.
    He went somewhere eventually and was given a chance by an owner.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

VikingsMB is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Alert: Non Childress hater here!

A pro-Childress forum?
    That's a different take.
    It may be a lonely discussion, however.
    Some of your facts are skewed but I always appreciate an attempt to show a Viking some love (deserved or not)

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Excellent post.
    Great players can make any coach look good.
    Subpar players at key positions will make any coach look bad.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"enlvikeman" wrote:

Childress inherits a below average football team.
    Devoid of any type of superstar player in any position.
    : Yeah I can see how these players that Childress inherited are all below average.....

Antoine Winfield

Darren Sharper

Pat Williams

Kevin Williams

EJ HEnderson

Erasmus James

Kenechi Udeze

Dontarius Thomas

Darrion Scott

Heath Farwell

Spencer Johnson

Matt Birk

Mewelde Moore

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Good take and I agree with you to an extent. The problem with Childress now is that he isn't adjusting with to the team we have now. Sure, this may pay off down the road but he may not be around to see it pay off if he runs his scheme with no regard to the players on the team. It was said many times that things would go better when Childress had "his players". He has his players now.. no excuses.

I will give Childress one thing though. He is a good talent evaluator. Maybe not for his scheme, but he has definitely had two of the better drafts in recent memory, this year being one of our best ever in my mind. We have gotten a lot of starters out of the last 2 years' drafts, nevertheless some of that a part of Childress' being stubborn.

I'm on the give him one more year bandwagon. I want to see improvement this year though. I have an odd feeling that we come off of the bye week strong and take it to the bears at soldier. Then again, I thought we would be able to beat the Lions and Chiefs.. The guy sure is sticking to his plan though. I pray that it pays off a year or so down the road but he's going to take some serious heat if he even sticks around that long and doesn't show improvement.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I will give Childress one thing though. He is a good talent evaluator. Maybe not for his scheme, but he has definitely had two of the better drafts in recent memory.
    Scott Studwell & our team of scouts have a lot to do with the talent selected in that draft as well.

And don't forget the players Childress also brought in here that are no longer here for obvious reasons.

Also put Bollinger, Drew Henson, McMullen, Hicks & Mike McMahon on that list that the QB guru brought in here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Excellent post.
    Great players can make any coach look good.
    Subpar players at key positions will make any coach look bad.
    You have to have your best player on the field in tight games also.
    I guess my biggest complaint would have to be, why is AD not on the field in the end of these games?

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I will give Childress one thing though. He is a good talent evaluator. Maybe not for his scheme, but he has definitely had two of the better drafts in recent memory.
    Scott Studwell & our team of scouts have a lot to do with the talent selected in that draft as well.

And don't forget the players Childress also brought in here that are no longer here for obvious reasons.

Also put Bollinger, Drew Henson & Mike Mann on that list that the QB guru brought in here.
    True, he's had his ups and downs with McMahon, McMullen, etc. I have to give Childress and the staff a little bit of credit though... we have the talent he just isn't coaching it the right way (Shiancoe can't block, AD should be in more, Cook needs serious help, etc). Again, at the end of the year I'll make up my mind on Brad. We could turn it around, you never know. At least he has the fact that we've been in every game up to this point to hang his hat on.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Ahhh my kind of place! Sanctuary.....Sanctuary!!!!
    Man, some of my posts of late have kicked up a few hornets nest!
    Oh well let them all pound sand!

Sorry Rant on!
    Guys I'll be honest,
    i'm a little easier on BC then others, but for good reason.
    I saw him with the help of Barry Alverez turn the program in Wisconsin around.
    I saw this up close as I was a student here.
    You know what, he got the same shit for terrible conservative play calling here too.
    Yet slowly he built a winner here, and did a nice job finding talent on offense.
    People forget that all the offensive talent in Wisconsin rb, lineman, wideouts were his boys.
    Barry coached and recruited defense.
    If the vikes have patience he will build us a strong winner, yet it will be his way, which means blue coller smash mouth football.

I know its hard to believe and I may ultimately be proven wrong, but so is life.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Maybe Childress should go back to doing what he did before he got into football.

http://www.whipple.org/photos/charmin.html

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast