singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Al and Alma's won't sue over players' party

From the Pioneer Press;

Posted on Mon, Jun. 12, 2006

[size=18px]No Vikings lawsuit, boat owners say[/size]

From staff and news service reports

Operators of the Lake Minnetonka cruises that hosted the Minnesota Vikings' infamous boat party last fall will not file civil suits against the players involved, the charter operators' attorney said Sunday.

Stephen Doyle, attorney for Al and Alma's charter cruises, said the owners wanted foremost to protect their reputation, not to chase "arrogant, immature, rich football players for their money.'

Sunday's announcement came just more than two weeks after the final criminal cases were settled, stemming from a party in which four Vikings players were accused of lewd, raucous and indecent behavior on two boats owned by Al and Alma's. The National Football League still might issue fines.

Doyle told reporters Sunday that cruise owners Merritt and Daryl Geyen "just aren't the kind of people that sue people. They just don't. And never during the last eight months of my representing them have we ever had a conversation of any kind about 'how do we sue?' "

The final criminal penalties were handed out May 16, when players Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie each agreed to pay $2,000 in fines and perform 48 hours of community service for disorderly conduct and public nuisance on a watercraft.

Moe Williams, now a free agent, was convicted of disorderly conduct in April, and disorderly conduct charges were dismissed against Daunte Culpepper, now with the Miami Dolphins.

Doyle said Sunday that Al and Alma's is out tens of thousands of dollars and business is down about 20 percent to 25 percent this season.

Al and Alma's was founded as a grocery store and restaurant in 1957. There were few other restaurants in the area and Al and Alma Quist's family business drew crowds. The Quists sold the restaurant in 1972 to a couple who added the charter cruises to the business and sold again in 1983 to the Geyens.

This story includes information from the Associated Press.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Al and Alma's won't sue over players' party

From KFFL;

Vikings | Boat owners don't plan to file any law suits
    Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:17:01 -0700

Associated Press reports Stephen Doyle, an attorney for Al and Alma's charter cruises on Lake Minnetonka, said the cruise boat operators in the Minnesota Vikings' boat party scandal don't plan to file any law suits against anyone.

Owners Merritt and Daryl Geyen are out tens of thousands of dollars and business is down about 20 percent to 25 percent after the boat scandal came to light. "It has never been about chasing arrogant, immature, rich football players for their money," Doyle said in regards to the charter cruises not looking to file a law suit to recover damages.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i dont see how buissiness is down lol, theres no just thing as bad publicity; and thats why i think it was blown up so much

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

That is a dead issue in my eyes.. Who cares, lets move on...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Why should they...they got a TON of publicity out of it...more than they could ever hope to get otherwise!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingKen is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:

Doyle said Sunday that Al and Alma's is out tens of thousands of dollars and business is down about 20 percent to 25 percent this season.
    I agree with Vikes_King how can they be out tens of thousands of dollars and business be down? When you think of charter cruises on Lake Minnetonka you think of Al and Alma's. Coming from a marketing background I would have embraced the media coverage. How funny would an ad be that had the tag: 4 out of 5 professional athletes players prefer an Al and Alma cruise then end it with Randy Moss saying "I cruise when I want to cruise".

Maybe sales are down because what happens on Lake Minnetonka doesn't say on Lake Minnetonka if you charter a Al and Alma cruise. Wasn't it the crew who called the cops?

If anybody should sue it's the Viking fans whom have had to endure non-stop ribbing and reminding of what happened every time we get into a sport discussion for the last year. I think thats worth a beer. Good thing we were already use to thinking fast on our feet from having to explain Moss's actions all the time.

A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order. -- Bud Grant

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

They are giving up because they finally realize the have no legal leg to stand one and they got what the wanted free publicity.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."