Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

After loss, team gets homework assignment

After preseason-opening loss, team receives homework assignment

Vikings Insider: After preseason-opening loss, team receives homework assignment | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I hope we do our homework and get some of this straightened out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Thanks for the read my friend.

Reason for concern: Backup quarterback Joe Webb looked disoriented. He was 4-for-11 passing for 20 yards and added 9 rushing yards on two attempts. Given five possessions to show something positive, Webb produced only four first downs and never led the offense across midfield. The farthest he moved the ball was to the Vikings 41, and his five drives netted an average of 11 yards.
    Worth discussing: The refurbished first-unit offensive line seemed to hold up well. Ponder had high praise for rookie Matt Kalil and called the line's overall play "outstanding."
    "I had so much time back there it was unbelievable," the Vikings quarterback said.
    The line also helped Toby Gerhart plow for 31 yards on five rushes. Head coach Leslie Frazier lauded Gerhart's effort, too.
    Hmmm so many things to point out in there.......

Ponder haters......Webb Lovers.....Toby haters.......OL Haters...... I wonder if I should pull up all the good stuff about our rookie kicker for all the kicker haters.........

Now I'm just cracking myself up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I agree with Madro...This is not about HOMEWORK, as much as we don't have a true run stopper in the middle. This opens up the whole Defense to the run, especially in a cover two scheme where the MLB has deep middle responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    I agree with Madro...This is not about HOMEWORK, as much as we don't have a true run stopper in the middle. This opens up the whole Defense to the run, especially in a cover two scheme where the MLB has deep middle responsibility.
    Another poster steadily moving up the spreadsheets........And not just because he agree's with me.

That was an excellent point about the MLB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Another poster steadily moving up the spreadsheets........And not just because he agree's with me.

That was an excellent point about the MLB.
    Our starting NT got injured on the 1st or 2nd series of the game, K-Will & JA weren't in there & I don't think Robison was either. That's a huge chunk of our starting unit if & when Robison played & our entire DL if & when he didn't.

It's no surprise to me that after that our DL, that lacks depth in the middle, got burned in the run game.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-13-2012 at 06:50 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Our starting NT got injured on the 1st or 2nd series of the game, K-Will & JA weren't in there & I don't think Robison was either. That's a huge chunk of our starting unit if & when Robison played & our entire DL if & when he didn't.

It's no surprise to me that after that our DL, that lacks depth in the middle, got burned in the run game.
    Agreed 100%
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Reason for optimism: The wind was swirling Friday at Candlestick Park, one of the least friendly NFL venues for kickers. Yet rookie Blair Walsh came in and nailed first-half field goals of 39 and 26 yards.

"This was not the optimal position to be in as a rookie, coming into these windy conditions," Frazier said. "But he handled it well."

Walsh also kicked off three times, putting one out of the end zone and the other two deep. The 49ers' average starting field position after Walsh's kickoffs was their own 18.
    Still say that the addition of Walsh will be one of the best things we did this offseason.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Explain last year then? Look, you know me, I am looking at things from a "Big Picture" standpoint, not just one game.

Guion, as much as I like him isn't a NT. he's a 3 tech. Neither is Evans. Ballard isn't a 3 tech, hes a LDE, same applies for the rest of the backups.

In the end, if you look real hard you will see a trend. The staff is slowly adding a glutt of RDE's and LDE's to the roster in hopes that quicker/faster will overcome our DL woes, when in fact, its only making it worse.

And that, by the way, trickles down to the rest of the defense.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Explain last year then? Look, you know me, I am looking at things from a "Big Picture" standpoint, not just one game.

Guion, as much as I like him isn't a NT. he's a 3 tech. Neither is Evans. Ballard isn't a 3 tech, hes a LDE, same applies for the rest of the backups.

In the end, if you look real hard you will see a trend. The staff is slowly adding a glutt of RDE's and LDE's to the roster in hopes that quicker/faster will overcome our DL woes, when in fact, its only making it worse.

And that, by the way, trickles down to the rest of the defense.
    I think you're right about the team bringing in more guys that are DEs than NTs, but I'm not sure you're right about that being a bad thing. To wit, two observations:

1. The other teams in the Vikes' division, which represent 6 of the 16 games that will be played this year, are a mess at running back (OK, the Bears, not so much, but I will be shocked if Forte puts up the numbers he did last year when he was playing for a contract). All three are pass-first teams with strong QBs. When 37.5% of your games are played against teams who pass that much, how is having more speed than heft on your DLine a bad thing?

2. The SF game was an anomaly. It just was. They are arguably the best rushing team in the NFL, as they have to be to cover up for their QB's lack of talent. Sure, Smith was great last year (especially his lack of INTs), but I don't believe for a second that last year was a representation the real Alex Smith or that we should just ignore his previous five years. Meanwhile, Guion was taken out on the first series, and two of the other starting three on the DL didn't even play. Put all of these factors together and the outcome was predictable.

So, is this Vikings team going to get trounced by great rushing teams? Absolutely. Fortunately, the overall trend in the NFL, at least with the league's top teams--and in most of the NFC North especially--is to pass, pass, pass, and then pass some more (e.g., Colts with Manning, Patriots, Packers, Lions, heck even the Giants in the playoffs). Elsewhere, the good run-first teams like SF, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore are becoming the minority. Truth is that defenses in this league need to start building to stop the pass first, and replacing slow, hulking DTs with quicker, but still fairly big DE-types to fill in the middle of the line could turn out to be a decent solution. Time will tell.

/Big Picture
    Last edited by The Dropper; 08-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast