singersp is offline PPO Newshound

After the Dust Settles - Looking back: Where were they 5 years ago

[size=13pt]After the Dust Settles[/size]

11/13/2007
    By Josh Fiedler
    vikings.com

As the saying goes, "On any given Sunday…"
    Maybe.
    Sure, any given Sunday the same Vikings team that defeated the San Diego Chargers 35-17 in Week 9 can lose to the Green Bay Packers 35-10 one week later......

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Frostbite is offline Coach

Re: After the Dust Settles - Looking back: Where were they 5 years ago

"singersp" wrote:

[size=10pt]After the Dust Settles[/size]

11/13/2007
    By Josh Fiedler
    vikings.com

Maybe.
    Sure, any given Sunday the same Vikings team that defeated the San Diego Chargers 35-17 in Week 9 can lose to the Green Bay Packers 35-10 one week later......

Yes...and it's very difficult to understand given that it was a critical point in the season and the team had so many positives to build upon after the Chargers game. I for one did not think any team could possibly come in flat after that. Boy was I wrong.

Five years ago...maybe a tad longer we had some very good players out there on the field...many of whom have gone on to other teams and are now doing very well against us when we play them. I have always thought our revolving door in Minnesota....or the player carousel would catch up with us. We sometimes make rash decisions letting some players we know we should keep get away...whiile often bringing in the Experiments to often. At least that is what I have seen in the last 5 years.

The past/older Vikings teams were much more stable. Perhaps the "Free Market" and Cap restrictions are mostly responsible for this. All I know is if you look back at the years the Team was making Championship runs the Top players/performers had been a unit for a while. Not to many key positions changed as often and many players started with and retired as Vikings. That is rare today. Probably never happen again??

Just one observation.....Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:

The past/older Vikings teams were much more stable. Perhaps the "Free Market" and Cap restrictions are mostly responsible for this. All I know is if you look back at the years the Team was making Championship runs the Top players/performers had been a unit for a while. Not to many key positions changed as often and many players started with and retired as Vikings. That is rare today. Probably never happen again??

Thats always been the knock on free agency, that it prevents teams building dynasties and so aids the parity formula that the NFL seems to strive for. The exception to that in recent years has been NE but there is no doubt that a lot of teams only have a small window of opportunity for a SB run.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

[size=10pt]After the Dust Settles[/size]

11/13/2007
    By Josh Fiedler
    vikings.com

Maybe.

Yes...and it's very difficult to understand given that it was a critical point in the season and the team had so many positives to build upon after the Chargers game. I for one did not think any team could possibly come in flat after that. Boy was I wrong.

Five years ago...maybe a tad longer we had some very good players out there on the field...many of whom have gone on to other teams and are now doing very well against us when we play them. I have always thought our revolving door in Minnesota....or the player carousel would catch up with us. We sometimes make rash decisions letting some players we know we should keep get away...whiile often bringing in the Experiments to often. At least that is what I have seen in the last 5 years.

How far back are you going? We have had quarterback controversies darn near every year since Tommy Kramer filled in for Tarkenton, we have had different QB's and RB's on a consistent basis and have gone through tight ends and except the Carters and Moss, we went through quite a few WR's too. ;D