Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Adrian Peterson's Running Style not helping?

Hey guys, I just opened an account here, and this is my first year watching all the vikings games. I think we are superbowl bound without a doubt. I do honestly think our offense is unstoppable. All Day has been having yet another spectacular season as the stats do not lie. However I do feel they can be decieving. I felt watching peterson run on sunday against the cardinals was absolutely unacceptable. 13 carries for 19 yards (long-11). With 11 of his yards coming off one run, it basically means we were constantly put in third and long situations which will never help the offense move the chains even if we are one of the top third down conversion teams (1st-47%). Peterson's run style is a homerun running style. I don't like to argue with the way a guy likes to run, but I feel if if he could just try to get 3-5 yards at a time, the big run will come rather than always trying to hit the hole so fast or just looking for the homerun all the time. With the way we have played on third and short (6 yards and under)we can be putting up way more points than the saints. I just wanted to post this to have everyone's input on Peterson and his running this year. (Yes I have taken into mind that Peterson in the backfield is already making it easier for Favre.)
    None

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Adrian Peterson's Running Style not helping?

Something is not right with him. Not sure what it is but Chester seems to be more effective the last 3 games so we really can't blame the run blocking. I really hope he is not hurt and not telling anyone. The fumbles and getting hit in the backfield is really a concern. I hope he can figure it out soon.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

ZB

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Welcome to the site my friend. Post well and often.

Hard to answer your question. Some things that could be contributing to the issue:

a. New C, New RT.
    b. Adjustment/change to the blocking style.
    c. D Coords have enough tape on him to start slowing him.

Something else that probably won't be well recieved by many on here, but they were talking about teams that pass alot and how that messes up the run blocking.

The teams they used as examples were the Steelers and the Ravens. Predominant running teams that started to get pass happy. All of a sudden they couldn't run the ball anymore.

My take, its a bit of everything. The staff needs to get the O back on the field and start to revisist some of the basic stuff they worked on during pre-season when it comes to blocking and the RB's approach to hitting those holes.

In the end, I have faith it will get fixed and our running attack will be back, if it was ever gone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bigfattty is offline Waterboy

Marrdro wrote:

Hard to answer your question. Some things that could be contributing to the issue:

a. New C, New RT.

Something else that probably won't be well recieved by many on here, but they were talking about teams that pass alot and how that messes up the run blocking.

The teams they used as examples were the Steelers and the Ravens. Predominant running teams that started to get pass happy. All of a sudden they couldn't run the ball anymore.

My take, its a bit of everything. The staff needs to get the O back on the field and start to revisist some of the basic stuff they worked on during pre-season when it comes to blocking and the RB's approach to hitting those holes.

In the end, I have faith it will get fixed and our running attack will be back, if it was ever gone.

I agree Marrdro, only thing I would add is Anthony Herrera is on sirus radio every week and last week he talked about AP and said that when they watch film every Monday or Tuesday that Ap leaves 150 on the field every week because he wont wait for the blocks to develop. He said that is good news because we have not seen his best.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

imho,the problem is AD seems to wanna make a very big play everytime he got a touche,I mean Chester for instance goes trough and gains that very good 6-7 yards ,in the other hand I see Adrian hesitating and dancing before the lane of scrimmage looking for a hole or something that usually ends up in a loss or minimum gain for him.

Opposite defenses being aware and prepare for Peterson and our average OL are not helping either
    El underdog.

bigfattty wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

a. New C, New RT.

I agree Marrdro, only thing I would add is Anthony Herrera is on sirus radio every week and last week he talked about AP and said that when they watch film every Monday or Tuesday that Ap leaves 150 on the field every week because he wont wait for the blocks to develop. He said that is good news because we have not seen his best.
    Hey my friend. Were ya been? Did you get my voice mail? :laugh:

Couple weeks ago I started tracking a new stat in my game notes......Stat is related to how many times AD should have followed the FB.

One thing I've noticed since starting this, even Tahi (whoever is playing FB) is getting clogged up at the line alot as well.

As you said, I think our RB's (AD) should be a bit more patient at times, but as Overlord pointed out in another thread (he diagramed it out on screen shots), our OL is getting pushed back quite a bit as well.

Something I think they can fix if the coaches get off thier asses and coach a bit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

El Vikingo wrote:
    imho,the problem is AD seems to wanna make a very big play everytime he got a touche,I mean Chester for instance goes trough and gains that very good 6-7 yards ,in the other hand I see Adrian hesitating and dancing before the lane of scrimmage looking for a hole or something that usually ends up in a loss or minimum gain for him.

Opposite defenses being aware and prepare for Peterson and our average OL are not helping either
    Good point on the Chester thing. In fact it seems to be a re-occuring theme on here of late.

Lets not forget, if one were to go back each and every year, one would see that Chester has always been a effective back and has, at times when AD was struggling to get yards, gotten yards.

Gonna be a very interesting thing to watch going into the offseason with respect to what they do with CT and his contract.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

marstc09 wrote:
    Something is not right with him. Not sure what it is but Chester seems to be more effective the last 3 games so we really can't blame the run blocking. I really hope he is not hurt and not telling anyone. The fumbles and getting hit in the backfield is really a concern. I hope he can figure it out soon.
    When AD is in, defenses can key on a running play. When Chester is in, they cannot. I know it sounds simple, but that's a huge difference (and this is not just me pulling something outta my ass - this is what Pete Bercich (former Viking, former Viking coach, current Vikings radio analyst) said last week on the PA show.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    When AD is in, defenses can key on a running play. When Chester is in, they cannot. I know it sounds simple, but that's a huge difference (and this is not just me pulling something outta my ass - this is what Pete Bercich (former Viking, former Viking coach, current Vikings radio analyst) said last week on the PA show.

=Z=
    Dean Dalton, Ex Vikings RB coach, says it all the time on the Sirius channel.

Couple of weekends ago he was talking (Weekend Kickoff) about how AD's passblocking and pass catching skills have improved to the point were he thought teams would start to play a bit more honest.

After this weekend, not sure if he is right on that little point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast