V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    LOL, I love it when I am at home and can watch these Vids......

Take a close look at the whole play, especially at about 3:17 on.
    Who (actually 2 of them) has the initial blocking responsibility for the guy that ultimately sacks the QB.

;D
    IMO they held the blocks long enough for the QB to make the read and throw. Hererra got in Birks way and the defender used him as a pick to get around to the QB

How about the play at 1:44?
    Cook and AD both sucked on that play. (3:17) Cook collapses his own pocket and blocks nobody. AD forgets to read the blitz and take out the end. AD has to trust Cook to take care of that guy. Yet he can't. Cook is nowhere near in position to block the LB. He doesn't have to be. He just has to take care of the end.

That was my first thought looking at the play. My second thought is much more accurate. Great Defense. The play is a pass all the way, but it is designed to look like a run. Two WR bunched close to the right side of the line. The TE motions over as an extra "lead blocker". When the play begins, there is small playaction (TJ did not sell the fake well enough) and AD sprints towards to line to make the D think run. My guess is we ran a play similar to it earlier in the game in which AD actually got the ball.

This is a great playcall with 8 men in the box. Get them to overcommitt and burn them for it. The DE falls for it, and AD takes him out. The LB is not. You can't blame AD. He sold the run well. You can't blame Cook. The LB is supposed to be frozen by the play and therefore does not need to be blocked. You can barely blame TJ. He doesn't sell the fake sure, but he still has time to throw. My guess is no one is open. The D also does a great job dropping back in coverage. They had 8 in the box. Only 5 rush the passer and the other 3 drop back in coverage. The D has 6 guys covering 4 receivers.

This completely turns the tables. 2 of those receivers are TEs. The other two are lined up inside and will not be able to get open quickly. Coverage sack. 5 vs. 4 but the OL still loses because of the late blitzer. Again. Great Defense.

Given a proper understanding of the playcall, and hot the defense read it, I don't see what could have been done differently.

1:44 is a much better example of OL ineptitude. Cook gets beat, commits a penalty the leads to a safety, and his guy still gets to the QB. Awful.

However, neither of those plays shows AD's ineptitude in pass blocking.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    The number one thing I would like Peterson to learn is how to do is better protect his body so that he can play more than 5 years. If all goes well with his Health I believe he will be re-writing the record books and he'll become the best back in the league. Talent wise nobody in the NFL has what Peterson has, he truely is a Beast.

I can't believe people still say this. He actually protects his body pretty well. He doesn't stop early, instead he finishes off plays. He tries to deliver blows, not take them.

Protecting his body would mean changing his running style in a way that makes him much worse. Long lasting RBs in the past have either been conservative and tough (Emmitt Smith) or elusive, taking less hits (Barry Sanders).

The key here is to find a suitable spell back that can fill in both in passing and running situations. Once AD learns to pass block. We should two backs who can do both, giving the defense no hints.
    Well you might think he protects his body but if he continues to run with a reckless abandon he could be seeing some pine. I definitly think there are some areas he can improve on without altering his play or I guess making it "Much Worse" which sounds like a stretch.

I don't think he would have to change his running style, I think he would need to start using his brain and know when to avoid a blow or when to hit the ground or when to deliver one. I'm not asking him to dive everytime he touches the ball I just want him to be more cautous and learn the art of protecting himself so he can extend his playing time. I think this is possible without changing his running style.

If AD runs like a maniac for the rest of his carear I expect it to be an injury pleged carear and I really hate to say this because I like the guy so much and he brings so much explosiveness to our team. If he never lets up like he says, it will be intristing to see it play out. Hopefully he won't get injured but its a stretch nobody is invincible in this league. Wait maybe Favre.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    LOL, I love it when I am at home and can watch these Vids......

Take a close look at the whole play, especially at about 3:17 on.
    Who (actually 2 of them) has the initial blocking responsibility for the guy that ultimately sacks the QB.

;D
    IMO they held the blocks long enough for the QB to make the read and throw. Hererra got in Birks way and the defender used him as a pick to get around to the QB

How about the play at 1:44?
    Cook and AD both sucked on that play. (3:17) Cook collapses his own pocket and blocks nobody. AD forgets to read the blitz and take out the end. AD has to trust Cook to take care of that guy. Yet he can't. Cook is nowhere near in position to block the LB. He doesn't have to be. He just has to take care of the end.

That was my first thought looking at the play. My second thought is much more accurate. Great Defense. The play is a pass all the way, but it is designed to look like a run. Two WR bunched close to the right side of the line. The TE motions over as an extra "lead blocker". When the play begins, there is small playaction (TJ did not sell the fake well enough) and AD sprints towards to line to make the D think run. My guess is we ran a play similar to it earlier in the game in which AD actually got the ball.

This is a great playcall with 8 men in the box. Get them to overcommitt and burn them for it. The DE falls for it, and AD takes him out. The LB is not. You can't blame AD. He sold the run well. You can't blame Cook. The LB is supposed to be frozen by the play and therefore does not need to be blocked. You can barely blame TJ. He doesn't sell the fake sure, but he still has time to throw. My guess is no one is open. The D also does a great job dropping back in coverage. They had 8 in the box. Only 5 rush the passer and the other 3 drop back in coverage. The D has 6 guys covering 4 receivers.

This completely turns the tables. 2 of those receivers are TEs. The other two are lined up inside and will not be able to get open quickly. Coverage sack. 5 vs. 4 but the OL still loses because of the late blitzer. Again. Great Defense.

Given a proper understanding of the playcall, and hot the defense read it, I don't see what could have been done differently.

1:44 is a much better example of OL ineptitude. Cook gets beat, commits a penalty the leads to a safety, and his guy still gets to the QB. Awful.

However, neither of those plays shows AD's ineptitude in pass blocking.
    Oh yeah, I forgot this was an AD thread with all of the derailment that went on. I was just pointing out that Cook sucks.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of angry that no one has complimented me on my expertly performed play analysis. I have shown you all the light and gotten no credit for it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of angry that no one has complimented me on my expertly performed play analysis. I have shown you all the light and gotten no credit for it.
    Don't worry,

You are still a young man. As you age you will get numb to that sort of thing and just go about your life.

Are you married?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    Where is Marrdro with the rubber-stamp?

I'll do my best:

"Grate read, my Friend.

You just moved up threee lines on the ol' spreadswheet!"

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Where is Marrdro with the rubber-stamp?

I'll do my best:

"Grate read, my Friend.

You just moved up threee lines on the ol' spreadswheet!"

=Z=
    You crack me up.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Another area Adrian Peterson needs to improve on is to hold on to the ball better. He fumbles too much.
    Look at Tomlinson and Westbrook, they fumbled ZERO times during the season... T O G E T H E R!!!
    Peterson fumbled 4 times. Actually, when I'm on the topic, Chester Taylor fumbled even more last season, he fumbled 5 times.
    That's almost as bad as Culpepper, people!

We have two VERY, VERY good players and they run with the ball very well, but it would be nice if they could just hold on to the rock a little better.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"V" wrote:
    The best Play analysis in the history of the pp.o
    In my opinion you should be working for ESPN

* I hope you take note of me just jiving you*

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Like I already said. Adrian needs to hold on to the ball better. He has two fumbles so far against the Lions tonight.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast