Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "Odin" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

    AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

    Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    I agree totally with regards to AD on that, not sure what play was called there but they may have intended AD to take out the blitzing linebacker on the right side. He definitely did a good job of taking the guy's legs out, so I think he at least has the technique down. It must be said, however, that Cook just sits there completely dumbfounded and doesn't appear to make any adjustment whatsoever to slow the bigass lineman running through about one yard to his left. AD = overly enthusiastic(?) and Cook= Slow reactions...
    It looks to me like Cook was zone blocking.
    I am not a master of zone blocking, but I don't think you expect someone to run in front of you and block the defender you are about to engage.
    The blitzing LB was definately AD's man, and by the time he was at the LOS, he was running full speed, and there was little Cook could have done about it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "Odin" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

    AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

    Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    I agree totally with regards to AD on that, not sure what play was called there but they may have intended AD to take out the blitzing linebacker on the right side. He definitely did a good job of taking the guy's legs out, so I think he at least has the technique down. It must be said, however, that Cook just sits there completely dumbfounded and doesn't appear to make any adjustment whatsoever to slow the bigass lineman running through about one yard to his left. AD = overly enthusiastic(?) and Cook= Slow reactions...
    I do too. It's actually a good find by NodakP to display the issues with AD

    However I'm convinced he'll get better at it. He needs to develop an eye for the blocking game, and I have no reason to doubt that he will not be able to do so. It's not like he's like Memo who would just constantly get run over by pass rushers, in this play you can see that AD can actually take a man out, even if it's the wrong one.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  3. #13
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    The number one thing I would like Peterson to learn is how to do is better protect his body so that he can play more than 5 years. If all goes well with his Health I believe he will be re-writing the record books and he'll become the best back in the league. Talent wise nobody in the NFL has what Peterson has, he truely is a Beast.





    I can't believe people still say this. He actually protects his body pretty well. He doesn't stop early, instead he finishes off plays. He tries to deliver blows, not take them.

    Protecting his body would mean changing his running style in a way that makes him much worse. Long lasting RBs in the past have either been conservative and tough (Emmitt Smith) or elusive, taking less hits (Barry Sanders).

    The key here is to find a suitable spell back that can fill in both in passing and running situations. Once AD learns to pass block. We should two backs who can do both, giving the defense no hints.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  4. #14
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,511

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    Adrian Peterson, in my opinion, is THE best [size=11pt]pure[/size] runningback in today's NFL.
    That's silly.

    =Z=
    I have to disagree.

    Peterson may be the best runner, but the award for best pure back still belongs to Tomlinson.

    There is NEVER a situation where Tomlinson has to come out.
    He's great for running in all directions, including up the middle, the edge and on pitches.
    He is almost as big a threat in the passing game as he is in the running game, and he can block very well.


    Peterson is a beast at running.
    He'll plow through linebackers, and outrun corners, however he still needs some time to get the hang of catching passes (a few drops)
    and he really needs to work on his blocking.
    I think if he continually gets a little bit better each year at those 2 things, he can easilly be the best all around back in the NFL in a couple of years, possibly the best ever if he does keep things up.


    Speaking of which, who do you think would be the best ALL-AROUND back ever?
    For me its Marshall Faulk.
    I think guys like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Chuck Foreman, Barry Sanders, etc.
    might be better at running the ball, but Faulk had every aspect of his game down perfectly.
    He could be used in any situation in any scheme.
    If you want to talk about todays all purpose backs,
    don't forget to mention one of the most over looked all purpose RB's out there today...Brian Westbrook of Philly........i put him right up there with LT and AD....Another very very good RB..


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  5. #15
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    Although he has gotten much better, I dont think he is as good of a runner than some think.
    He is pretty small, so he won't be able to run over some of the guys that AD or LT can.
    He is quick, and can outrun many defenders, but as far as running alone, not quite up to where LT or AD is at.
    However, he is very VERY good at some of the other aspects of the game.
    His main weapon is his versatility, if he's getting shut down, he can be split out wide and play slot reciever.
    (at least his coach is smart enough to try that)
    Something I've wanted to see us do with AD for quite some time.

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

    AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

    Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    LOL, I love it when I am at home and can watch these Vids......

    Take a close look at the whole play, especially at about 3:17 on.
    Who (actually 2 of them) has the initial blocking responsibility for the guy that ultimately sacks the QB.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Definitely pass blocking for me.
    Take at look at about 3:15 here.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d144

    AD runs in front of Cook to engage Cook's man, leaving his own assignment completely unchecked.
    TJack gets sacked and fumbles the ball (in our red zone), and the Broncos kick the easy field goal to win the game in overtime.

    Play like that is why we never saw AD on passing downs IMHO.
    However, pass blocking in something that takes most rookie RBs a season to figure out
    This is especially true if they were not asked to block much in college, as is AD's case.
    LOL, I love it when I am at home and can watch these Vids......

    Take a close look at the whole play, especially at about 3:17 on.
    Who (actually 2 of them) has the initial blocking responsibility for the guy that ultimately sacks the QB.

    ;D
    IMO they held the blocks long enough for the QB to make the read and throw. Hererra got in Birks way and the defender used him as a pick to get around to the QB


    How about the play at 1:44?

  8. #18
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    Be more awesomer
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #19
    El Vikingo's Avatar
    El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,358

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    "C" wrote:
    Be more awesomer
    Be more awesome ,not awesomer, you should improve yor english If you want to post on a U.S. Forum
    ;D
    El underdog.

  10. #20
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849

    Re: Adrian Peterson's areas of improvement

    Grammer ninja !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
  2. After two weeks off, Adrian Peterson's still got it
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
  3. Adrian Peterson's Injury: NOT ACL
    By PurpleMafia in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
  4. Adrian Peterson's - Contract
    By Vikes in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 02:28 AM
  5. Adrian Peterson's the most popular in purple
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •