Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Adrian Peterson Named Rookie of Month

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    Very nice!
    Rookie of the Month--DESPITE our coaching staff!
    Hope this doesn't pi$$ Brad off too much!
    He might need to keep AP under 10 carries a game if he hopes to stop him from the October ROM honors.

:
    If you are refering to the GB game then you obviously didn't watch the game either.

Comeon my friend, be logical, he wouldn't have had the productivity if he wasn't getting the reps/opportunities.
    In fact, I have watched every single play of every single game.
    AP is making the most of his reps/opportunities.
    IMHO the coaching staff is force feeding "the plan" down the throats of this team whether they have the players to support "the plan" or not.

But back to the point.....come on....
    I cannot imagine too many people that actually watched the GB game that thought to themselves.....108 yards in the first half....better sit AP down so he doesn't get too tired!
    2 carries in the second half is hardly "getting the reps/opportunities" that the team needed.
    I've posted it to many times.

How many plays (including pass) was he in on the second half?

I suppose you are one of those guys who thing we should have been running the ball down 14 points with a quarter and a 1/2 left?
    Here's the link to theplay-by-play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29249&displayPage=tab_play_by_p lay&season=2007&week=REG4

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Congrats AD!

morphius is offline Rookie

The guy has earned it, great draft pick for you guys.

Even if D-Bowe is going to win Rookie Player of the Week for the second week in a row.
    it s not a sport until someone gets hit.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"morphius" wrote:

Even if D-Bowe is going to win Rookie Player of the Week for the second week in a row.
    That may be...but AP is on his way to Rookie of the Year!

D-Bowe would look good in purple and gold though...wait a minute, we already know that!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "morphius" wrote:

That may be...but AP is on his way to Rookie of the Year!

D-Bowe would look good in purple and gold though...wait a minute, we already know that!
    LOL
    Well we also know that he does look good running through purple and gold, hehe

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

"morphius" wrote:

Your fan site must really suck if you're still here two weeks after you beat us.
    Just kidding (not really) but I like your posts.
    You are a classy fellow.
    I wish D-Bowe luck in his quest to become the second best WR of the draft class, with Sid-Vicious Rice the obvious #1 it will be a battle with the (so far) injury prone Calvin Who?

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "morphius" wrote:

Your fan site must really suck if you're still here two weeks after you beat us.
    Just kidding (not really) but I like your posts.
    You are a classy fellow.
    I wish D-Bowe luck in his quest to become the second best WR of the draft class, with Sid-Vicious Rice the obvious #1 it will be a battle with the (so far) injury prone Calvin Who?
    LOL!
    I think I'm still around because our teams are so similar, both have lots of people complaining about the OL, the HC to be fired, OC who couldn't call an entire game to save their life.
    Sort of a misery loves company thing I suppose.

D-Bowe still has a lot to prove, but this week we are getting the slightly under rated Kennison back, which could actually help him out.

Well, time for bed...

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    Very nice!
    He might need to keep AP under 10 carries a game if he hopes to stop him from the October ROM honors.

:
    If you are refering to the GB game then you obviously didn't watch the game either.

Comeon my friend, be logical, he wouldn't have had the productivity if he wasn't getting the reps/opportunities.
    IMHO the coaching staff is force feeding "the plan" down the throats of this team whether they have the players to support "the plan" or not.

I cannot imagine too many people that actually watched the GB game that thought to themselves.....108 yards in the first half....better sit AP down so he doesn't get too tired!
    2 carries in the second half is hardly "getting the reps/opportunities" that the team needed.

I suppose you are one of those guys who thing we should have been running the ball down 14 points with a quarter and a 1/2 left?
    Here is the scoring summary.... you make a point of calling me out for being "one of those guys" that think we should be running the ball down 14 points with a quarter and a 1/2 left.
    The fact is that they were within 7 points until 5:46 left in the game.
    At the point that GB went up by 14, I agree that they had to throw the ball.

1st Quarter

4:56
    GB TD

7 - 0

2nd Quarter

5:19
    MIN FG

7 - 3

1:56
    MIN FG

7 - 6

0:02
    GB FG

10 - 6

3rd Quarter

6:04
    GB FG

13 - 6

3:18
    MIN FG
    13 - 9

4th Quarter

12:44
    GB FG
    16 - 9

5:46
    GB TD

23 - 9

1:55
    MIN TD
    23 - 16

NET YARDS RUSHING

GB 46

MN 155

Rushes

Average Per Rush

NET YARDS PASSING

Completions-Attempts 32-45

21-39

Ok.....so as I see it, Minnesota had 61 offensive plays.
    They chose to throw the ball 64% of the plays....nearly 2/3 of the total plays for the game.
    The running game was used 36% of the time, but produced 40% of the total offensive yards.

The coaching staff seems to be more concerned with proving that this team can move the ball with second rate QB's then to use the running backs that they are blessed with.
    Would 5 or 6 more running plays for AP have made a difference??
    Who knows....maybe, maybe not.
    I just think that we are what we are....
    we are built to run the ball over and over and over again.....

Running the ball more MAY have kept the ball out of GB's hands more...reducing their scoring opportunities.
    The turning point in my opinion was the DUGAN fumble (on a pass play) that gave GB a short field.
    I know anyone can fumble....but I would like to think that grinding it out on the ground would have been a better approach to a game that was still one play away from being tied up.

I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    Very nice!

:

Here is the scoring summary.... you make a point of calling me out for being "one of those guys" that think we should be running the ball down 14 points with a quarter and a 1/2 left.
    The fact is that they were within 7 points until 5:46 left in the game.
    At the point that GB went up by 14, I agree that they had to throw the ball.

1st Quarter

4:56
    GB TD

7 - 0

2nd Quarter

5:19
    MIN FG

7 - 3

1:56
    MIN FG

7 - 6

0:02
    GB FG

10 - 6

3rd Quarter

6:04
    GB FG

13 - 6

3:18
    MIN FG

13 - 9

4th Quarter

12:44
    GB FG

16 - 9

5:46
    GB TD

23 - 9

1:55
    MIN TD

23 - 16

NET YARDS RUSHING

GB 46

MN 155

Rushes

Average Per Rush

NET YARDS PASSING

Completions-Attempts 32-45

21-39

Ok.....so as I see it, Minnesota had 61 offensive plays.
    They chose to throw the ball 64% of the plays....nearly 2/3 of the total plays for the game.
    The running game was used 36% of the time, but produced 40% of the total offensive yards.

The coaching staff seems to be more concerned with proving that this team can move the ball with second rate QB's then to use the running backs that they are blessed with.
    Would 5 or 6 more running plays for AP have made a difference??
    Who knows....maybe, maybe not.
    I just think that we are what we are....
    we are built to run the ball over and over and over again.....

Running the ball more MAY have kept the ball out of GB's hands more...reducing their scoring opportunities.
    The turning point in my opinion was the DUGAN fumble (on a pass play) that gave GB a short field.
    I know anyone can fumble....but I would like to think that grinding it out on the ground would have been a better approach to a game that was still one play away from being tied up.
    I don't call people out on a web page.
    All I asked is Did you watch the game and are you one of the guys whole believe we should run more.
    Pretty childish to think that someone can call someone else out on the web.
    Sorry my comment lead you to believe that was the way I operated on here.

Back to your points.......

Actually if you start at the beginning of the third quarter and look this happened.

3rd Quarter expand Green Bay Packers at 15:00

8-R.Longwell kicks 77 yards from MIN 30 to GB -7. 38-T.Williams, Touchback.

1-10-GB 20
    (15:00) 42-D.Wynn right end to GB 22 for 2 yards (94-P.Williams).

2-8-GB 22
    (14:19) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short left to 80-D.Driver to GB 29 for 7 yards (26-A.Winfield).

3-1-GB 29
    (13:40) 42-D.Wynn up the middle to GB 31 for 2 yards (56-E.Henderson; 95-K.Udeze).

1-10-GB 31
    (12:57) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short left to 80-D.Driver to GB 39 for 8 yards (26-A.Winfield).

2-2-GB 39
    (12:09) (Shotgun) PENALTY on GB-4-B.Favre, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at GB 39 - No Play.

2-7-GB 34
    (11:43) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short right to 86-D.Lee to GB 44 for 10 yards (52-C.Greenway, 31-M.McCauley).

1-10-GB 44
    (11:05) 42-D.Wynn up the middle to GB 44 for no gain (97-S.Johnson).

2-10-GB 44
    (10:26) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 89-J.Jones to GB 48 for 4 yards (31-M.McCauley).

3-6-GB 48
    (9:44) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 86-D.Lee to 50 for 2 yards (26-A.Winfield).

4-4-
    (9:07) (Punt formation) 9-J.Ryan right end to MIN 43 for 7 yards (54-D.Thomas).

1-10-MIN 43
    (8:12) 80-D.Driver left end to MIN 44 for -1 yards (24-D.Smith).

2-11-MIN 44
    (7:30) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete short middle to 85-G.Jennings (24-D.Smith).

3-11-MIN 44
    (7:25) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short left to 82-R.Martin ran ob at MIN 28 for 16 yards.

1-10-MIN 28
    (6:58) 4-B.Favre pass short right to 35-K.Hall to MIN 26 for 2 yards (23-C.Griffin).

2-8-MIN 26
    (6:17) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete deep right to 89-J.Jones.

3-8-MIN 26
    (6:13) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete short middle to 85-G.Jennings (23-C.Griffin).

4-8-MIN 26
    (6:09) 2-M.Crosby 44 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-60-R.Davis, Holder-9-J.Ryan.

GB 13

MIN 6

Plays: 16

Possession: 8:56

We then did this........

Minnesota Vikings at 06:04

2-M.Crosby kicks 76 yards from GB 30 to MIN -6. 28-A.Peterson, Touchback.

1-10-MIN 20
    (6:04) 29-C.Taylor up the middle to MIN 23 for 3 yards (79-R.Pickett).

2-7-MIN 23
    (5:30) 13-K.Holcomb pass short middle to 81-V.Shiancoe to MIN 38 for 15 yards (56-N.Barnett). GB-20-A.Bigby was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

1-10-MIN 38
    (5:00) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete deep left to 82-T.Williamson.

Timeout #1 by MIN at 04:53.

2-10-MIN 38
    (4:53) 29-C.Taylor up the middle to GB 25 for 37 yards (24-J.Bush).

1-10-GB 25
    (4:08) 28-A.Peterson left end pushed ob at GB 23 for 2 yards (36-N.Collins).

2-8-GB 23
    (3:43) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short middle to 19-B.Wade (21-C.Woodson).

3-8-GB 23
    (3:38) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb sacked at GB 30 for -7 yards (94-K.Gbaja-Biamila). FUMBLES (94-K.Gbaja-Biamila), recovered by MIN-76-S.Hutchinson at GB 30. Penalty on MIN-74-B.McKinnie, Offensive Holding, declined.

4-15-GB 30
    (3:22) 8-R.Longwell 48 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

GB 13

MIN 9

Plays: 8

Possession: 2:46

Not alot of room for running in that series was there?

Won't show Green Bays series but suffice it to say we got the ball back and did this (Notice we now have 16:04 left in the game:

Minnesota Vikings at 01:04

1-10-MIN 7
    (1:04) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 9 for 2 yards (74-A.Kampman).

2-8-MIN 9
    (:28) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short left to 40-J.Kleinsasser (77-C.Jenkins).

3-8-MIN 9
    (:24) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short right to 89-R.Ferguson.

4-8-MIN 9
    (:19) (Punt formation) PENALTY on MIN-46-C.Loeffler, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 9 - No Play.

4-13-MIN 4
    (:18) 5-C.Kluwe punts 46 yards to 50, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 21-C.Woodson pushed ob at MIN 35 for 15 yards (21-M.Doss).

Again, not alot of options to run especially when AD left us in second and long.

:

Packers take over with 00:10 left in the 3rd and continue into the 4th.
    We get the ball back with 12:44 left.

Minnesota Vikings at 12:44

2-M.Crosby kicks 69 yards from GB 30 to MIN 1. 28-A.Peterson to GB 48 for 51 yards (24-J.Bush).

1-10-GB 48
    (12:33) 29-C.Taylor right end to MIN 43 for -9 yards (51-B.Poppinga).

2-19-MIN 43
    (11:51) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short right to 28-A.Peterson.

3-19-MIN 43
    (11:46) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb pass short middle to 29-C.Taylor to GB 46 for 11 yards (21-C.Woodson).

4-8-GB 46
    (11:11) 5-C.Kluwe punts 31 yards to GB 15, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 21-C.Woodson ran ob at GB 18 for 3 yards.

Here is were the announcer made the comment of why is AD on the bench when CT ran. Seems pretty evident to me.
    Coaches needed a big play, they put AD in on the kick to provide that and he gave it to us.
    Again, makes pretty good sense to me.

Green Bay then gets the ball with 11:03, scores and leaves us with 05:46.
    Should we run or pass at this stage?

:

Green Bay Packers at 11:03

1-10-GB 18
    (11:03) 42-D.Wynn right end to GB 19 for 1 yard (51-B.Leber, 94-P.Williams).

2-9-GB 19
    (10:24) 4-B.Favre pass short left to 42-D.Wynn to GB 26 for 7 yards (23-C.Griffin).

3-2-GB 26
    (9:39) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 34-V.Morency to GB 37 for 11 yards (56-E.Henderson, 23-C.Griffin). FUMBLES (56-E.Henderson), ball out of bounds at GB 37.

1-10-GB 37
    (9:12) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete to 35-K.Hall (26-A.Winfield).

2-10-GB 37
    (9:06) (Shotgun) 42-D.Wynn up the middle to GB 40 for 3 yards (26-A.Winfield).

3-7-GB 40
    (8:23) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 89-J.Jones to GB 48 for 8 yards (24-D.Smith). Play Challenged by MIN and Upheld. (Timeout #2.)

1-10-GB 48
    (7:50) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 42-D.Wynn to MIN 49 for 3 yards (97-S.Johnson).

2-7-MIN 49
    (7:09) 25-R.Grant left tackle to MIN 34 for 15 yards (52-C.Greenway).

1-10-MIN 34
    (6:27) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass short middle to 25-R.Grant to MIN 33 for 1 yard (91-R.Edwards). MIN-91-R.Edwards was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.

2-9-MIN 33
    (5:58) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete short right to 25-R.Grant.

3-9-MIN 33
    (5:52) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass deep right to 89-J.Jones for 33 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

2-M.Crosby extra point is GOOD, Center-60-R.Davis, Holder-9-J.Ryan.

GB 23

MIN 9

Plays: 11

Possession: 5:17

The rest is history so I won't bother posting it.

However, on to your stats, I won't refute them but I will say that they are a bit skewed towards the pass because of the last couple of series.
    I did bold every play that was a run leading up to that in the areas were everyone seems to think we weren't running.
    The holding and dropped passes along with AD's 2 yard game put us in passing situations in those areas were we could have still run the ball.

Additionally, seems to me that of the 20 First downs, 10 were via Pass, 6 via run and 4 Via penalty because of pass holding seems pretty balanced based on the series in the 4th was pretty much pass only.

Additionally, it also seems pretty productive on the passing side if you ask me.

I will give you Dugans fumble as a possible game turner, but I think it goes back to this series that put us in a "Must Pass" Situation.
    If AD would have got a couple of yards or Klieny or Ferguson could have produced the outcome could have been different as well.

Notice how the staff still had AD running at this point.
    Again, the whole "He Should have been out there" statement is just so assinine based on the actual play by play.
    The reason behind that is, again, IMHO, because they heard the gol 'darnit announcer say it.
    What they didn't key on was thier comment before that when they said that AD was not a very good pass blocker.

Minnesota Vikings at 01:04

1-10-MIN 7
    (1:04) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 9 for 2 yards (74-A.Kampman).

2-8-MIN 9
    (:28) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short left to 40-J.Kleinsasser (77-C.Jenkins).

3-8-MIN 9
    (:24) (Shotgun) 13-K.Holcomb pass incomplete short right to 89-R.Ferguson.

4-8-MIN 9
    (:19) (Punt formation) PENALTY on MIN-46-C.Loeffler, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 9 - No Play.

4-13-MIN 4
    (:18) 5-C.Kluwe punts 46 yards to 50, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 21-C.Woodson pushed ob at MIN 35 for 15 yards (21-M.Doss).

Long story short, I believe this team is committed to running the ball more than pass.
    It is just crazy to believe that a coaching staff is "Arogant" or "Hard Headed" enough to have an agenda to try to pass when thier strength is running.
    Green Bay did what they needed to do with respect to taking us out of our game plan and that was to chew up 9 minutes of the 3rd quarter which limited our touches and made our staff make adjustments to our play calling.
    Nothing more need be read into that such as an agenda to pass more than run.

Again, I say, go back and look at the actual play by play and you will see them trying to run the ball all the way up to the 4th quarter but at some time you have to try to get points.
    In this case that is IMHO what the staff did.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...2007&week=REG4
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Sigh, I shouldn't have to post this again.

1st Drive: 0-0
    3 Runs, 5 passes
    We pass on every first down during this drive.
    Result: Punt

2nd Drive: 0-0
    3 runs, 3 passes
    I can't agree with us being in shotgun on 2nd and 2, and then again on 3rd and 2. I will say though that because we were running well at this point, the playaction pass was working great.
    Result: Fumble

3rd drive: 0-7
    2 runs, 7 passes.
    Some will blame penalties for the pass heaviness on this drive. I don't. We were lined up in shotgun BEFORE the two penalties. It was 2nd and 7. That should be a running down for us. Then, we get the 1st down, and choose to pass again! Result? sack.

4th Drive: 0-7
    3 runs, 2 passes.
    We come out passing, but a penalty saves us. Then we give it to Peterson 3 times in a row for an average of 6 yards per carry! The drive is looking good, then all of a sudden, on 3rd and 2, we pass. How does this make sense to anyone?

5th Drive: 0-7
    4 runs, 1 pass.
    This was a 66 yard drive. Guess how many yards we got passing on it? ZERO. The one pass was on 3rd and 4, from the shotgun...sigh .
    Result: FG

6th Drive: 3-7
    1 run, 3 passes.
    A play action pass set up by our effective running works for 40 yards. Also, why does Bevell refuse to run on 2nd and 8? I'm assuming because he will pass on 3rd and 3 anyways. A decent drive but I would like to see more running in the redzone.
    Result: FG

7th Drive: 6-13
    3 runs, 4 passes.
    This was a 50 yard drive. We had net passing yardage of 8 yards on it.
    Result FG:

8th Drive: 9-13
    1 run, 2 passes.
    We one for 2 yards, then "oh no! 2nd and 8 so "We must pass" I'll take this opportunity to state that we ran on 2nd and 5 or more 4 times. We got the first down 3 out of those 4 attempts.
    Result: Punt.

9th Drive: 9-16
    1 run, 2 passes.
    I understand the passing on this one, because Taylor got stuffed on first down. Still, it shows how we struggle when we have to depend on the pass.
    Result: Punt.

I'll stop here because we were down by 14 for the next drive, and passing was the right thing to do. 21 runs, 29 passes. That is not my main point though. My main point is that we were super effective when we ran the ball.

As I said before, we were 3 for 4 when running on second and 5 or more. Peterson's 55 yarder came on 2nd and 5. Taylor's 37 yarder came on 2nd and 10. Hmmm.

Also notice that in a scoreless 1st quarter, we ran 8 times and passed 15 times. Then in the 2nd quarter we ran 8 times and passed 6 times. Coming away with 2 FG. Hmmm.

Taylor should see 15 touches a game, not 9. Peterson should see 20, if not 25 touches a game, not 13. Run the ball 40 times. Run it on 1st and 10. Run it on 2nd and 8. Run it on 3rd and 4.
    As far as the possessions in the 2nd half go, IMO the playcalling was absolutely miserable. There we tons of opportunities to run. We chose not to. Taylor broke his 37 yarder on a 2nd and 10, yet you say "not alot of options to run especially when AD left us in second and long." I just don't get it.

We have the ability to run at will, but we choose not to. Instead we give Holcomb the ball and ask him to make a play. It's lunacy.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast