Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1091674
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1091667
    Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P
    Mine were in San Diego, CA. Good enough?

Caine
    I'll absolutely hold in reserve any "Hollywood Marine" wise-crack for another day.

I'm quite sure you habla'd my point. B)

Semper Fi.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1091673
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091666
    To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least. They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.
    1: Without even trying very hard I can come up with quite a few jobs far closer to slavery :

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

Essentially, any "job" in which one group is being VICTIMIZED by another - and this is most often seen in the cases of illegal immigrants.

2: NFL players are compensated OVERWHELMINGLY to "leave their homes". Don't want to play football in San Diego? THEN DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

It is NOT a RIGHT, it is a PRIVILEGE!!!!

3: There is NO basis for comparison between SLAVERY and the NFL....NONE! Next we'll be calling them Nazis...after all, they both wear uniforms!!!

4: This is a case of greedy people on BOTH sides wanting more. They're going to kill the golden goose while fighting over the eggs.

At the end of the day, WE - the FANS - are the ONLY losers. We will now be forced to spend MORE MONEY so that millionaires and billionaires can each feel that they're adequately compensated for PLAYING A FUCKING GAME!!!!!

And I don't give a rip how good you are at that fucking game, if you're crying about your multi-million dollar contract, I can name a dozen careers off the top of my head that deserve the money more than your overpaid ass does.

So quit with the, "I'm just trying to feed my family" bullshit. Quit with the "We just want our fair share" bullshit.

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    1) Illegal. You can't expect to be treated fairly.
    2) Illegal. ^^
    3) Debatable in the sense of workay ratio, but it's probably not worth it.

As far as the military comparison goes, that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of private businesses, not so much government, since the government itself didn't own slaves.

Just the idea of owning a person's rights trading them from franchise to franchise makes the comparison somewhat valid. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that makes it right, or fair, but it's conceivable.

I don't have much of a problem with the players dispute. I'd rather see millionaires maintain their wealth than billionaires get richer. Especially when one is rich for risking his neck playing a dangerous game at the highest possible level, while the owner is running a business from behind a desk especially when some of these guys inherited teams/ownership. I don't care if they change the system at the highest level of player compensation, so long as they don't take money away from the guys on the practice squads. As far as I know they make about $80-90,000 per season, unless they signed a contract and were demoted to the practice squad. Which is still a very good living, but when the dispute is about millions or billions, the guys who are making less than $100k shouldn't be punished.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Well now we know why he cannot learn to block.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091681
    To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least. They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.
    1: Without even trying very hard I can come up with quite a few jobs far closer to slavery :

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

Essentially, any "job" in which one group is being VICTIMIZED by another - and this is most often seen in the cases of illegal immigrants.

2: NFL players are compensated OVERWHELMINGLY to "leave their homes". Don't want to play football in San Diego? THEN DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

3: There is NO basis for comparison between SLAVERY and the NFL....NONE! Next we'll be calling them Nazis...after all, they both wear uniforms!!!

4: This is a case of greedy people on BOTH sides wanting more. They're going to kill the golden goose while fighting over the eggs.

At the end of the day, WE - the FANS - are the ONLY losers. We will now be forced to spend MORE MONEY so that millionaires and billionaires can each feel that they're adequately compensated for PLAYING A FUCKING GAME!!!!!

And I don't give a rip how good you are at that fucking game, if you're crying about your multi-million dollar contract, I can name a dozen careers off the top of my head that deserve the money more than your overpaid ass does.

So quit with the, "I'm just trying to feed my family" bullshit. Quit with the "We just want our fair share" bullshit.

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    2) Illegal. ^^

As far as the military comparison goes, that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of private businesses, not so much government, since the government itself didn't own slaves.

Just the idea of owning a person's rights trading them from franchise to franchise makes the comparison somewhat valid. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that makes it right, or fair, but it's conceivable.

I don't have much of a problem with the players dispute. I'd rather see millionaires maintain their wealth than billionaires get richer. Especially when one is rich for risking his neck playing a dangerous game at the highest possible level, while the owner is running a business from behind a desk especially when some of these guys inherited teams/ownership. I don't care if they change the system at the highest level of player compensation, so long as they don't take money away from the guys on the practice squads. As far as I know they make about $80-90,000 per season, unless they signed a contract and were demoted to the practice squad. Which is still a very good living, but when the dispute is about millions or billions, the guys who are making less than $100k shouldn't be punished.
    To me it is a very big leap to make that comparison.

First off while the owners might own the rights to your services in regards to playing in their league, you have the right to play in any other league you so choose. An example is the USFL when it came out. Players were free to play in either league. The NFL is a monopoly and that situation gives them leverage and power that I would like to see challenged for sure but then again the players are compensated at a rate so far above what the average american gets that it is hard for me to look at the two in the same light.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Now we really know why Fat Ass McKinnie is so slow. The Wilfs needed a new plow horse in the field so they drafted him

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    2) Illegal. ^^
    Because it's "illegal", we get to suspend the notion of "rights"....right?

Wrong.

Those three offerings were off the top of my head. If you want me to take a few hours and research this more in depth, I'm sure I can list a couple dozen more...many of which won't be illegal.

Truth is, almost EVERY job out there has more in line with Slavery than the NFL players. And the fact is that the lower paying that job is, the more like slavery it becomes.

I didn't make the Military comparison - but even that is more accurate. Once you sign on the dotted line, you have ZERO rights. Getting a tattoo can buy you non-judicial punishment for (I kid you not) "Destruction of Government Property"...

You ARE Government Property.

There is no better slavery comparison than that.

These people CHOSE to waive those rights. they weren't forcefully suspended. I don't recall hearing about too many prospective slaves being told by Dutch traders, "Hey, we'll take you and your friends to America, and you can work on huge plantations...or you can stay here in the jungle". They were, most often, sold by the tribe that had just kicked their ass so they wouldn't "return the favor" some day.

When a player chooses to waive his right to negotiate with all franchises in order to enter the world of the NFL, he does so KNOWING that a very large pay day is on the horizon. He waives his rights to choose where he will live, because someone is offering him a LOT of money to do so.

Then they have the GALL to start whining because their pay day isn't big enough?

Here's a pay scale that should piss you off: http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

A college degree will make you a 2nd Lieutenant. A boot 2nd Lt makes $2784.00 per month - that's about $33,408.00 per year.

Practice squad money looks pretty good right about now, huh?

And far more 2nd Lt's run the risk of being KILLED than NFL rookies.

No one is talking about punishing the practice squad guys. We're talking about comparing the NFL to slavery...and it's entirely inappropriate.

Again, this all comes back to greed. Owners and players are salivating over the money that WE are paying to watch this GAME.

A handful of people are walking away filthy rich, so we can fill our Sunday afternoons.

Then Adrian Peterson wants to try and sensationalize the issue by comparing it to an institution that oppressed and diminished GENERATIONS, for the gain of a few?

Sorry, Adrian. Those "oppressors" have already rewarded YOU with more money than I will make in a lifetime. I'm really having a hard time feeling any kind of sympathy.

Want to REALLY shake things up? Let's get the FANS to demand that the NFL kick back 2 billion dollars a year to US!!! Hell, it's OUR money anyway!!! Then teh rich fuckers on BOTH sides can start crying about who's going to take the cuts...

...kind of like WE all did in this shitty economy.

Caine

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091684

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    2) Illegal. ^^

First off while the owners might own the rights to your services in regards to playing in their league, you have the right to play in any other league you so choose. An example is the USFL when it came out. Players were free to play in either league. The NFL is a monopoly and that situation gives them leverage and power that I would like to see challenged for sure but then again the players are compensated at a rate so far above what the average american gets that it is hard for me to look at the two in the same light.
    Did I not say, more than once, that I don't think it's a fair comparison? All I said is that it was conceivable comparison, kind of like saying ants are like humans because they have legs and brains.

I'm not trying to debate this, I gave my $.02 and I'm done.

What Peterson said was stupid, but I can see how an unintelligent person with knowledge of the NFL system would come up with that statement. Honestly, I don't care if he made that comparison, he's a great player and a good person and I'm happy to have him as a Viking, whether or not he makes one stupid comment every 4 years.

Yay Peterson! Boo slavery!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091690

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    2) Illegal. ^^

Did I not say, more than once, that I don't think it's a fair comparison? All I said is that it was conceivable comparison, kind of like saying ants are like humans because they have legs and brains.

What Peterson said was stupid, but I can see how an unintelligent person with knowledge of the NFL system would come up with that statement. Honestly, I don't care if he made that comparison, he's a great player and a good person and I'm happy to have him as a Viking, whether or not he makes one stupid comment every 4 years.

Point taken.

Can we move on to discussing what type of offense we should build around him?:laugh:

dfosterf is offline Coach

...from the other thread...

The PPO.

patched pothole offense.

:laugh:

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091692
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091690

Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
    2) Illegal. ^^

Point taken.

Can we move on to discussing what type of offense we should build around him?:laugh:
    We should totally build a kick ass offense around him!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast