Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    I didn't know the slaves were millionares and drove expensive horse and buggies

  2. #12
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1091636
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1091634
    Once again Vikings make headlines.
    And not in a positive light.

    I can understand not taking a pay cut, but not wanting a bigger piece of the pie just because the owners are making more.

    My employer made twice as much last year as he did the year before. 100's of millions more. What do you think he'd say if I wanted him to double my salaries because he made a ton more?

    They sign contracts. Live by them. Negotiate when your contract is up or near up.

    The owners have contracts with their players. Live by them.

    Any cuts that should be made should occur on rookie salaries. They are getting paid way to much for never playing an NFL down & proving themselves at that level.

    Players like Jamarcus Russell, etal, shouldn't be walking away from the NFL with 40 mill & doing little for it.
    Isn't it the other way around? I didn't think the players were asking for a bigger cut. I thought the owners were making more AND wanted to keep a larger percentage of the pie before the players got their cut.

    I think everyone is in agreement on a rookie salary structure. Owners and players alike. There is a set amount of money going to the players and that gives an added benefit of more money for the veterans that have proven themselves.

    Owners do not live up to their end of the contracts. They sign the contracts also. Live up to it and pay the player the full contract if you cut them or shut up when the players want to renegotiate. If the owners have no desire to live up to the contracts, the players should not be expected to either.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "Randy Moss" #1091646
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1091636
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1091634
    Once again Vikings make headlines.
    And not in a positive light.

    I can understand not taking a pay cut, but not wanting a bigger piece of the pie just because the owners are making more.

    My employer made twice as much last year as he did the year before. 100's of millions more. What do you think he'd say if I wanted him to double my salaries because he made a ton more?

    They sign contracts. Live by them. Negotiate when your contract is up or near up.

    The owners have contracts with their players. Live by them.
    The contract expired because the owners opted out of it. Now they are negotiating. Also, what happens at your job is irrelevant because you are replaceable. The company can go on without you, but there wouldn't be a real NFL without the players.
    Kind of an elitist view. It has been my experience that if you get twenty guys together on an open space sooner or later a football game will break out. Now you won't always have glitzy commercials, sexy cheerleaders or self grandizing commentators but you know what? It's still fun to watch.

  4. #14
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "Bkfldviking" #1091659
    Quote Originally Posted by "Randy Moss" #1091646
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1091636
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1091634
    Once again Vikings make headlines.
    And not in a positive light.

    I can understand not taking a pay cut, but not wanting a bigger piece of the pie just because the owners are making more.

    My employer made twice as much last year as he did the year before. 100's of millions more. What do you think he'd say if I wanted him to double my salaries because he made a ton more?

    They sign contracts. Live by them. Negotiate when your contract is up or near up.

    The owners have contracts with their players. Live by them.
    The contract expired because the owners opted out of it. Now they are negotiating. Also, what happens at your job is irrelevant because you are replaceable. The company can go on without you, but there wouldn't be a real NFL without the players.
    Kind of an elitist view. It has been my experience that if you get twenty guys together on an open space sooner or later a football game will break out. Now you won't always have glitzy commercials, sexy cheerleaders or self grandizing commentators but you know what? It's still fun to watch.
    Then watch the Arena League?

    what, you don't want to do that? Why not, is it not as fun?
    I'd rather watch the best players in the world go at it than some dude who lives down the street.

    There's a reason nobody cares about minor or developmental leagues. The only one that seems to have any sort of following other than hometown fans is the NCAA, and that's mainly just football and Basketball in march (who actually watches NCAAB during the regular season?)

  5. #15
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

    Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least(EDIT: if they don't sign I mean, not if they force a trade, then they can still play.). They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

    I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.

  6. #16
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1091667
    Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P
    +1

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    951

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    If we are advocating fairness in the work place we should probably closer examine Sweat Shop labor by children in other countries where they earn pennies a day, or the immigrant workers in places like AZ who earn $6/hour doing hard labor in the heat. These are more akin to slavery to me. A guy who knows how to read, and break a defense as their skillset earning millions from the team, and endorsements just doesn't fit that bill.

    I am all for the players and owners trying to hash out a deal that gives them a little more income, but they need to reach an agreement sooner than later. I think that if we lose games next year over this quibbling, the games popularity will be jeopardized. We probably wont see the mass exodus that occurred with baseball or hockey, but the leagues popularity will and has already taken a hit due to the lockout IMO.

    I think that his statement was out of frustration and not well thought out. Having said that, he is still one hell of a running back, which is why I watch him, not because he is eloquent and well versed.

  9. #19
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091666
    To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

    Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least. They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

    I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.
    1: Without even trying very hard I can come up with quite a few jobs far closer to slavery :

    Prostitute
    Illegal Migrant Worker
    Textile/Clothing worker

    Essentially, any "job" in which one group is being VICTIMIZED by another - and this is most often seen in the cases of illegal immigrants.

    2: NFL players are compensated OVERWHELMINGLY to "leave their homes". Don't want to play football in San Diego? THEN DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

    It is NOT a RIGHT, it is a PRIVILEGE!!!!

    3: There is NO basis for comparison between SLAVERY and the NFL....NONE! Next we'll be calling them Nazis...after all, they both wear uniforms!!!

    4: This is a case of greedy people on BOTH sides wanting more. They're going to kill the golden goose while fighting over the eggs.

    At the end of the day, WE - the FANS - are the ONLY losers. We will now be forced to spend MORE MONEY so that millionaires and billionaires can each feel that they're adequately compensated for PLAYING A FUCKING GAME!!!!!

    And I don't give a rip how good you are at that fucking game, if you're crying about your multi-million dollar contract, I can name a dozen careers off the top of my head that deserve the money more than your overpaid ass does.

    So quit with the, "I'm just trying to feed my family" bullshit. Quit with the "We just want our fair share" bullshit.

    It just makes me sick.

    Caine

  10. #20
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1091667
    Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P
    Mine were in San Diego, CA. Good enough?

    Caine

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adrian Peterson regrets modern-day slavery remarks
    By Purple Floyd in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  2. Adrian Peterson
    By apfanzone in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Q & A with Adrian Peterson
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
  4. Adrian Peterson
    By wierstom in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 08:13 AM
  5. Yo, Adrian ........ (Adrian Peterson)
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 05:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •