Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    Also you have to think about when we have to run.
    Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
    When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
    With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

I still would want AP over the other two.
    Name them.
    Seahawks, Lions, Ravens, Lions again, Browns, Rams
    Hmmm.
    Weren't we up by 2 TDs in the Packer games as well?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Take the sportsnation poll today.... there are some good MN questions in there today.

See how MN rates vs other states.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls

It came out as it should, AD getting 65%.
    I think Chris Johnson is having an amazing year and he has the stats to prove it.
    I'm not so sure he would be doing as well in MN.
    Largely to what Overlord is pointing out, he is getting a lot more space to run into than AD.

It's not like Chris is pulling a Barry Sanders and making a lot out of nothing.
    He gets some space, shows good agility, then burns buy them like they were sitting still.

I predict that Chris' future will decline faster than AD's simply because Chris depends much more on his speed than AD does.
    If Chris loses a step, he becomes very average.
    Until then, he will continue to be one of the most electrifying guys in the league and I would take him any day...just not over AD.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Take the sportsnation poll today.... there are some good MN questions in there today.

See how MN rates vs other states.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls

It came out as it should, AD getting 65%.
    I think Chris Johnson is having an amazing year and he has the stats to prove it.
    I'm not so sure he would be doing as well in MN.
    Largely to what Overlord is pointing out, he is getting a lot more space to run into than AD.

It's not like Chris is pulling a Barry Sanders and making a lot out of nothing.
    He gets some space, shows good agility, then burns buy them like they were sitting still.

I predict that Chris' future will decline faster than AD's simply because Chris depends much more on his speed than AD does.
    If Chris loses a step, he becomes very average.
    Until then, he will continue to be one of the most electrifying guys in the league and I would take him any day...just not over AD.

"Suick" wrote:
    AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

Is AD getting the carries he had last year?
    AD is getting about 10% fewer carries to this point.
    I think that's a good thing, considering that he has a long career ahead and the balance the Vikings have on offense.
    HEY mentioned the receptions, which mean that his total number of touches is down only about 1/game.

I don't agree that AD is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs.
    They don't look like they are there.
    The pursuit by the opposing team's linebackers is aggressive and unobstructed.
    There is often an unblocked defender taking away the cutback as well.
    How many times have the Vikes been stuffed on 3rd- or 4th-and-1 this year?
    Too many, and it's not because AD can't find a hole or run with power, or because he is trying to break a big one.
    The O-line isn't generating enough push, in my opinion.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I watched a majority of the game last night, I can't say I watched the whole thing considering it was Tennessee v. Houston and I just don't care.

But I rarely saw more than a 7 man front to stop Johnson. Which makes no sense to me, their QB can run and is a sub-par passer, and he's an excellent running back. Why not put 8-9 in the box?

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Peterson makes plays that Johnson can not, on a regular basis. How many untouched long runs has Peterson had? Very few. Johnson? Nearly all of them. Go to NFL.com and find his TDs, an overwhelming majority are totally untouched. Now take a look at Peterson's, he breaks tackles and makes defenders miss all the time. He runs through straight on tackles where guys wrap him up. Johnson had a nice broken tackle on Brian Cushing last night, but Cushing didn't wrap, and was coming from his side.

The combination of size, power, vision, speed, lateral agility, heart, and aggressiveness that Adrian Peterson possesses is unrivaled. There is no parallel to that composition of abilities in any sport, anywhere. Ever.

It's not worth comparing him to Steven Jackson. Jackson's a good back, versatile, big, fast for his size. But Peterson is on another level talent wise.

He makes big plays despite the poor running situations he's been put into, despite the obvious telegraphing of our running plays when he's in the game, and lack of execution by the offensive line at points. He makes things happen on his own, and I don't see that kind of ability from the other two.

What did the Titans do to put Johnson into space last night(when the defense wasn't giving it to them already) one of the stacked fronts I saw they ran an option play against. Now I understand they have a QB who can pull that off and we don't want a 40 year old Favre doing something like that. But how many boot passes have we seen out of Favre this year? A ton, and they work. Why not maybe set up a run off of that?

Adrian Peterson was the best runner in football. With LaDainian Tomlinson fading away, he's now the best running back in football.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Suick" wrote:
    AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

Is AD getting the carries he had last year?
    AD is getting about 10% fewer carries to this point.
    I think that's a good thing, considering that he has a long career ahead and the balance the Vikings have on offense.
    HEY mentioned the receptions, which mean that his total number of touches is down only about 1/game.

I don't agree that AD is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs.
    They don't look like they are there.
    The pursuit by the opposing team's linebackers is aggressive and unobstructed.
    There is often an unblocked defender taking away the cutback as well.
    How many times have the Vikes been stuffed on 3rd- or 4th-and-1 this year?
    Too many, and it's not because AD can't find a hole or run with power, or because he is trying to break a big one.
    The O-line isn't generating enough push, in my opinion.
    When an 8 man front knows the run is coming it's hard to pick up any yardage, even with a big talented offensive line and the best back in football.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"alexfandrich" wrote:
    I'm starting to have doubts about it. As much as I love the kid, it amazes me at how much more production Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson have than him, and they are both on incredibly worse teams. AP is just not consistent, he'll get 2 yds, 3 yds, -1 yd, 3 yds, then an incredible 28 yd TD. I don't get it. Does anyone else see it too?
    When you ask a question, make it a new poll.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Johnson looks like it so far

Kid does everything

Pretty much 1A 1B

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

MNF guys seemed to think it's CJ (aka RB du jour)
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Suick" wrote:
    MNF guys seemed to think it's CJ (aka RB du jour)
    Yeah, I tend to agree with them at the moment... tough to argue with 6+ yards per carry.

Don't mind though, we still have arguably the best RB on our team... along with arguably the best WR and arguably the best QB... and arguably the best DE in the league.

I'm fine if Peterson isn't "The Best..."
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast