Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77
  1. #11
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "HEY" wrote:
    I'll take this one guys!

    The answer is... YES! Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

    Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson are the two perfect examples of why A.D. is the best back.

    [size=12pt]Steven Jackson[/size]
    Positives: Bigger and stronger than Adrian.
    Negatives: Less elusive and slower than Adrian.

    [size=12pt]Chris Johnson[/size]
    Positives: Faster than Adrian.
    Negatives: Less stronger and easier to bring down than Adrian.

    See what I'm trying to say? Adrian Peterson is a combination of the two players you mentioned.
    That's what gives Adrian the edge in my book. Adrian has a unique combination of speed and power that I have not seen in a RB in over a decade.
    Funny thing though, AD has less yards per carry than the other two & more fumbles than the other two combined. He definitely has more power & more TD's once he gets going, but I believe he has more runs of 1 yard or less than either of the other two.

    His ability to catch the ball has greatly improved, but his fumbles are still proving to be costly.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #12
    Freya's Avatar
    Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "alexfandrich" wrote:
    I'm starting to have doubts about it. As much as I love the kid, it amazes me at how much more production Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson have than him, and they are both on incredibly worse teams. AP is just not consistent, he'll get 2 yds, 3 yds, -1 yd, 3 yds, then an incredible 28 yd TD. I don't get it. Does anyone else see it too?
    I think AD's first year in the league shocked everyone. Not one of our opponents or the rest of the league for that matter expected him to roll up the yardage like he did. Look how far he dropped in the draft, after all. The look on the faces of our opponents that year were priceless. Since then, EVERYONE we have played has made it their main defensive objective to stop our running game. Talk about crowding the box, eh?
    Enter Favre. Now their defense gets to pay. Let them plan for AD all they want and then make them pay for it with Rice, Shank, Harvin, Barrian and the rest of our receiving unit. I have already seen the cluster f*ck on the other side of scrimmage lighten up considerably this year. The inconsistency in yardage comes from the adjustments the other teams are having to make en game, imo.
    All is well and good in the Viking Nation.
    ;D


    Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

  3. #13
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    Take the sportsnation poll today.... there are some good MN questions in there today.

    See how MN rates vs other states.

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls

  4. #14
    Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    Also you have to think about when we have to run.
    Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
    When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
    With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

    I still would want AP over the other two.

  5. #15
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    Also you have to think about when we have to run.
    Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
    When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
    With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

    I still would want AP over the other two.
    Exactly, good post! I've been saying the same thing.
    The Vikings offense are putting up touchdowns and the defense is keeping the opposing teams out of the end-zone. That is causing the opposing defense to expect the run, which is completely normal cause that's what we'll be doing.
    The Rams and the Titans on the other hand, are often behind by several scores and the opposing defenses schemes to stop the pass and backs off to prevent the big pass plays.

    With that being said, Chris Johnson's numbers are truly off the hook this year.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    There are two points that I think people might be missing.

    First, don't underestimate Chris Johnson's speed.
    He is faster than AD.
    That allows him to make some runs that AD wouldn't make.
    Part of a running back's ability is pure speed, whether it looks amazing or not.
    Speed rules in the NFL.

    Second, the point about AD seeing certain fronts is a little off.
    The real problem AD faces right now, in my opinion, is that his offensive line is not blocking well for him at the moment.
    When you watch AD run, he isn't running to the wrong place when he gets caught for 1 or 2 yards, there's just no hole.
    Two guys are on him when he hits the line.

    Okay, part of that is that he has seen significantly more stacked boxes and defensive attention over the past year+ than any other RB, making it harder to block everyone up.
    But the other part is that the Vikes O-line is rarely getting push (which opens up holes and slows pursuit from the linebackers) and too many guys are coming off blocks.

    If you had a chance to watch last night, you saw that Chris Johnson had some nice holes.
    He ran away from a bunch of people, but only broke a few tackles.
    Usually when someone gets to him he's going down.
    Without those gaping holes, I'm not sure he would be particularly successful.
    He does have good vision though, he finds the hole and runs off his blockers well.

    Chris Johnson is really good.
    You can't fake 6.2 yards/carry.
    His numbers are actually really similar to AD's rookie season though.
    Through 10 games in 2007, AD had 184 carries for 1197 yards (6.5 y/c), and through 10 games in 2009 Chris Johnson has 199 carries for 1242 yards (6.2 y/c).
    I think that reflects two very good running backs that are getting proper help from their O-line.

    I would personally take AD if I had to pick one.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  7. #17
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    Also you have to think about when we have to run.
    Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
    When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
    With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

    I still would want AP over the other two.
    Name them.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #18
    Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    Also you have to think about when we have to run.
    Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
    When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
    With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

    I still would want AP over the other two.
    Name them.
    Seahawks, Lions, Ravens, Lions again, Browns, Rams

  9. #19
    Suick's Avatar
    Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    415

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "Overlord" wrote:
    There are two points that I think people might be missing.

    First, don't underestimate Chris Johnson's speed.
    He is faster than AD.
    That allows him to make some runs that AD wouldn't make.
    Part of a running back's ability is pure speed, whether it looks amazing or not.
    Speed rules in the NFL.

    Second, the point about AD seeing certain fronts is a little off.
    The real problem AD faces right now, in my opinion, is that his offensive line is not blocking well for him at the moment.
    When you watch AD run, he isn't running to the wrong place when he gets caught for 1 or 2 yards, there's just no hole.
    Two guys are on him when he hits the line.

    Okay, part of that is that he has seen significantly more stacked boxes and defensive attention over the past year+ than any other RB, making it harder to block everyone up.
    But the other part is that the Vikes O-line is rarely getting push (which opens up holes and slows pursuit from the linebackers) and too many guys are coming off blocks.

    If you had a chance to watch last night, you saw that Chris Johnson had some nice holes.
    He ran away from a bunch of people, but only broke a few tackles.
    Usually when someone gets to him he's going down.
    Without those gaping holes, I'm not sure he would be particularly successful.
    He does have good vision though, he finds the hole and runs off his blockers well.

    Chris Johnson is really good.
    You can't fake 6.2 yards/carry.
    His numbers are actually really similar to AD's rookie season though.
    Through 10 games in 2007, AD had 184 carries for 1197 yards (6.5 y/c), and through 10 games in 2009 Chris Johnson has 199 carries for 1242 yards (6.2 y/c).
    I think that reflects two very good running backs that are getting proper help from their O-line.

    I would personally take AD if I had to pick one.

    +1

    AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

    Is AD getting the carries he had last year?
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

  10. #20
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

    "Suick" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    There are two points that I think people might be missing.

    First, don't underestimate Chris Johnson's speed.
    He is faster than AD.
    That allows him to make some runs that AD wouldn't make.
    Part of a running back's ability is pure speed, whether it looks amazing or not.
    Speed rules in the NFL.

    Second, the point about AD seeing certain fronts is a little off.
    The real problem AD faces right now, in my opinion, is that his offensive line is not blocking well for him at the moment.
    When you watch AD run, he isn't running to the wrong place when he gets caught for 1 or 2 yards, there's just no hole.
    Two guys are on him when he hits the line.

    Okay, part of that is that he has seen significantly more stacked boxes and defensive attention over the past year+ than any other RB, making it harder to block everyone up.
    But the other part is that the Vikes O-line is rarely getting push (which opens up holes and slows pursuit from the linebackers) and too many guys are coming off blocks.

    If you had a chance to watch last night, you saw that Chris Johnson had some nice holes.
    He ran away from a bunch of people, but only broke a few tackles.
    Usually when someone gets to him he's going down.
    Without those gaping holes, I'm not sure he would be particularly successful.
    He does have good vision though, he finds the hole and runs off his blockers well.

    Chris Johnson is really good.
    You can't fake 6.2 yards/carry.
    His numbers are actually really similar to AD's rookie season though.
    Through 10 games in 2007, AD had 184 carries for 1197 yards (6.5 y/c), and through 10 games in 2009 Chris Johnson has 199 carries for 1242 yards (6.2 y/c).
    I think that reflects two very good running backs that are getting proper help from their O-line.

    I would personally take AD if I had to pick one.

    +1

    AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

    Is AD getting the carries he had last year?
    Last time I checked, Adrian had two carries less per game than he had last season, but he has more receptions than last season.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adrian Peterson
    By wierstom in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 08:13 AM
  2. who is: adrian peterson
    By michaelmazid in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 04:51 AM
  3. Adrian Peterson??
    By Vikingryche in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 12:46 PM
  4. I would like the 1st Adrian Peterson sig.
    By kjdaddy in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
  5. Yo, Adrian ........ (Adrian Peterson)
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 05:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •