Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ADIOS LINNEHAN

Del Rio Guest

ADIOS LINNEHAN

Yep see ya later. He must have gone to the Dolphins where there is a huge cushion. Expectations wont be as high and his crappy play calling can blend in with the rebuilding process.

The whole pass/run debate is a good one. In all honesty though you need to think about the facts behind the facts.

When you pass 70% of the time the DT's and LB's job is allready made easy. It is so much easier to pass rush then play the run. How many times was Daunte sacked this year??

A lot.
    And that is just when they got him. If you played this offense with a Brad Johnson and tried to pass this much your QB would be dead. The only reason we ever avoided the sack was pure Daunte.

So I think with the backs that we have, the line that we have we should be able to run the ball. Set up some PA. Get that db taking one too many steps forward and giving Moss/Burleson even more of an edge. We need to bring in someone who has attitude who likes to run the ball and who preaches it.

Plus running the ball gives the WR's a break. I don't know how many of you can sprint 8-10-30+ yards down the field full speed every play. What must really suck is sprinting being open and not getting the ball because your o-line got smoked because this is the 12th pass play in a row and the D is keying in on you.

We need a guy who belives in running between the tackles and his idea of a trick play would be a draw. Seems like Linehan ran the draw like it was our base run game. Just run a counter, or a dive. Pound the ball open some stuff up. This could be a good thing. Especially if you can get a guy that is excited about the prospects.

I'm sorry football is a game of heart and desire to win and to be a team. If Linehan was unhappy or down on his job then he wasn't doing us a bit of good. We need someone who will bring some energy and a package that the team will get behind and believe in.

/rant off

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

ADIOS LINNEHAN

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Yep see ya later. He must have gone to the Dolphins where there is a huge cushion. Expectations wont be as high and his crappy play calling can blend in with the rebuilding process.

The whole pass/run debate is a good one. In all honesty though you need to think about the facts behind the facts.

When you pass 70% of the time the DT's and LB's job is allready made easy. It is so much easier to pass rush then play the run. How many times was Daunte sacked this year??

A lot.
    And that is just when they got him. If you played this offense with a Brad Johnson and tried to pass this much your QB would be dead. The only reason we ever avoided the sack was pure Daunte.

So I think with the backs that we have, the line that we have we should be able to run the ball. Set up some PA. Get that db taking one too many steps forward and giving Moss/Burleson even more of an edge. We need to bring in someone who has attitude who likes to run the ball and who preaches it.

Plus running the ball gives the WR's a break. I don't know how many of you can sprint 8-10-30+ yards down the field full speed every play. What must really suck is sprinting being open and not getting the ball because your o-line got smoked because this is the 12th pass play in a row and the D is keying in on you.

We need a guy who belives in running between the tackles and his idea of a trick play would be a draw. Seems like Linehan ran the draw like it was our base run game. Just run a counter, or a dive. Pound the ball open some stuff up. This could be a good thing. Especially if you can get a guy that is excited about the prospects.

I'm sorry football is a game of heart and desire to win and to be a team. If Linehan was unhappy or down on his job then he wasn't doing us a bit of good. We need someone who will bring some energy and a package that the team will get behind and believe in.

/rant off
    Yeah you're right about all of that, it is harder on the WRs to pass all the time, as well as the o-line...run blocking is easier than pass protection, especially when you have an offense where the QB waits several seconds before throwing a lot like Daunte does.

I'm not disagreeing that we need to run more, I just think there are a lot of reasons that we got away from the run and some of them couldn't be helped. Remember that in 2002 and last year, Tice preached running the ball a lot. He made no secret before most games that he wanted to run the ball successfully. So now if everyone is healthy and if we decide on one of the RBs, he will probably be doing that again next season.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

ADIOS LINNEHAN

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

A lot.

/rant off
    Yeah you're right about all of that, it is harder on the WRs to pass all the time, as well as the o-line...run blocking is easier than pass protection, especially when you have an offense where the QB waits several seconds before throwing a lot like Daunte does.

I'm not disagreeing that we need to run more, I just think there are a lot of reasons that we got away from the run and some of them couldn't be helped. Remember that in 2002 and last year, Tice preached running the ball a lot. He made no secret before most games that he wanted to run the ball successfully. So now if everyone is healthy and if we decide on one of the RBs, he will probably be doing that again next season.
    Run plays get the O-line in rythym too. Also, who among the 4 teams playing this week run the ball well? Yep, all 4. I have heard the silly people on ESPN/NFL Network, HBO, etc talk and talk and talk about Martz not running the ball with the Rams. What about the Vikes? I think Linehan's swan song in Philly will do the job. Hope we can find someone with true genius that will work for basically nothing. *sigh*. I think, and it took a while, I am beginning to REALLY understand why ya'll hate Red.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

ADIOS LINNEHAN

I accidentally must have hit the "quote the last message button, but, well, at least I found my mouse pointer again. LOL.

DoubleDown11 is offline Pro-Bowler

ADIOS LINNEHAN

ok ok, I think I started the whole "Gol Darnit" thing in a drunken post after the Vikes loss at Philly, I read it after and could'nt believe I wrote that. Having a 2 year old has really helped curb my profanity!

Anyways,

Buh Bye Linehan, good luck in Miami, Now let's go get Norm Chow! Or lets bring back Jerry Glanville and bring back the "run and shoot"!
    something witty and comical... followed by genuine sarcasm.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

ADIOS LINNEHAN

Well thanks a lot doubledown! I hate that gol darnit crap!! Oh well! And UTvikfan, do the eagles really run the ball that well? I didn't think their running game was all that good, but I could be wrong!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

ADIOS LINNEHAN

Norm Chow is going NOWHERE...he is staying at USC until he quits coaching...he most certainly wouldn't be coming to the Vikings...he has too cushy of a job right where he is.

So we need to stop dreamin' about him...END OF SUBJECT!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456