Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    I was wondering... Now that we have AD forcing 8 an d9 man fronts, does that make the Vikings more or less attractive to WRs in free agency?

    On one hand, you are almost guaranteed one on one matchups in the secondary because every player on the opposing team looks for AD first.
    It also makes it easier for WRs to make a move and get open.
    That means that even an average WR should be able to have a high catch % here.

    But on the other hand, we are a run first team, and as AD gets better in his second year, that is only going to be more pronounced.
    That means that WRs will have less opportunity to get the ball.

    If I was a WR in free agency, I don't know what I would think about it.
    Your thoughts?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    I would say the first. For three reasons.

    1. A receiver would have an easier time getting open as you say.

    2. It should be easier with us to get a good position on the depth chart.

    3. We showed more promise last year than many expected, equating to an attractive team on the rice for any FA. Which is the opposite of what drew Kevin Curtis in the arms of Philly last offseason.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  3. #3
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    I don't think SD has to much of a problem getting the ball to their WRs despite the fact that they have the current best RB on their team. I think it should help our case.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  4. #4
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    969

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was wondering... Now that we have AD forcing 8 an d9 man fronts, does that make the Vikings more or less attractive to WRs in free agency?

    On one hand, you are almost guaranteed one on one matchups in the secondary because every player on the opposing team looks for AD first.
    It also makes it easier for WRs to make a move and get open.
    That means that even an average WR should be able to have a high catch % here.

    But on the other hand, we are a run first team, and as AD gets better in his second year, that is only going to be more pronounced.
    That means that WRs will have less opportunity to get the ball.

    If I was a WR in free agency, I don't know what I would think about it.
    Your thoughts?
    I'm not sure we will always be a run first team... I don't think you achieve a KAO by running the ball entirely... it is old school offense where you want to be able to establish the run to open up the pass.
    I really expect as TJack matures and the % completion numbers go up we'll see a normal blend of run and pass.
    If you can get an offense that racks up 6000 or 7000 yards of offense in a year there will be plenty of yards to go around for everyone.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

  5. #5
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    Too me, any gamebreaking WR would want to play in that offense with AP.. the opportunity for the big play will be there with the threat up front. Less catches, however bigger gains and impact "highlight" plays.


    The bigger question is how does TJ play in the free agents minds.. ready to take the next step or "I won't get the opportunities because the QB is a liability".

  6. #6
    funkyasflea's Avatar
    funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    331

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was wondering... Now that we have AD forcing 8 an d9 man fronts, does that make the Vikings more or less attractive to WRs in free agency?

    On one hand, you are almost guaranteed one on one matchups in the secondary because every player on the opposing team looks for AD first.
    It also makes it easier for WRs to make a move and get open.
    That means that even an average WR should be able to have a high catch % here.

    But on the other hand, we are a run first team, and as AD gets better in his second year, that is only going to be more pronounced.
    That means that WRs will have less opportunity to get the ball.

    If I was a WR in free agency, I don't know what I would think about it.
    Your thoughts?
    I'm not sure we will always be a run first team... I don't think you achieve a KAO by running the ball entirely... it is old school offense where you want to be able to establish the run to open up the pass.
    I really expect as TJack matures and the % completion numbers go up we'll see a normal blend of run and pass.
    If you can get an offense that racks up 6000 or 7000 yards of offense in a year there will be plenty of yards to go around for everyone.
    Ok, I have seen KAO on PP.O many many times, and I feel like an idiot asking this, but what does it mean?

  7. #7
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    "pack93z" wrote:
    Too me, any gamebreaking WR would want to play in that offense with AP.. the opportunity for the big play will be there with the threat up front. Less catches, however bigger gains and impact "highlight" plays.


    The bigger question is how does TJ play in the free agents minds.. ready to take the next step or "I won't get the opportunities because the QB is a liability".
    Exactly. TJ is the main consideration. But adding a gifted receiver would likely speed TJ's progress.
    So it's a double edged sword.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  8. #8
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    "funkyasflea" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was wondering... Now that we have AD forcing 8 an d9 man fronts, does that make the Vikings more or less attractive to WRs in free agency?

    On one hand, you are almost guaranteed one on one matchups in the secondary because every player on the opposing team looks for AD first.
    It also makes it easier for WRs to make a move and get open.
    That means that even an average WR should be able to have a high catch % here.

    But on the other hand, we are a run first team, and as AD gets better in his second year, that is only going to be more pronounced.
    That means that WRs will have less opportunity to get the ball.

    If I was a WR in free agency, I don't know what I would think about it.
    Your thoughts?
    I'm not sure we will always be a run first team... I don't think you achieve a KAO by running the ball entirely... it is old school offense where you want to be able to establish the run to open up the pass.
    I really expect as TJack matures and the % completion numbers go up we'll see a normal blend of run and pass.
    If you can get an offense that racks up 6000 or 7000 yards of offense in a year there will be plenty of yards to go around for everyone.
    Ok, I have seen KAO on PP.O many many times, and I feel like an idiot asking this, but what does it mean?
    Kick ass offense

    Its a Childress term for his offense when it starts rolling. Came up like the first few weeks of his first season. Was a pretty big joke for most of that season as you can understand. Now we have seen that he may be capable of running one of those.


    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  9. #9
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    funkyasflea .. KAO= Kick Ass Offense

    As for the original question, the main thing that AD brings to the team is the ability to be a genuine playoff team and SB contender - of course he can't do it all himself but he's a big part of it. If that aspect of the team alone doesn't interest a WR or any other position then they're really not the type of player that we want.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  10. #10
    jkjuggalo's Avatar
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: Is AD a benefit or liability in Free Agency?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was wondering... Now that we have AD forcing 8 an d9 man fronts, does that make the Vikings more or less attractive to WRs in free agency?

    On one hand, you are almost guaranteed one on one matchups in the secondary because every player on the opposing team looks for AD first.
    It also makes it easier for WRs to make a move and get open.
    That means that even an average WR should be able to have a high catch % here.

    But on the other hand, we are a run first team, and as AD gets better in his second year, that is only going to be more pronounced.
    That means that WRs will have less opportunity to get the ball.

    If I was a WR in free agency, I don't know what I would think about it.
    Your thoughts?
    Like cogitans said, it will help mainly because whoever signs with us will have a very good chance at playing a lot.
    Somebody that has been stuck behind great receivers (like Bryant Johnson from the Cards) would probably want to come here to a team that looks like a playoff contender where he could get substantial playing time.
    AD and Chester open up the passing game by bringing those players inside.
    As a WR I would be licking my chops to go one-on-one with some of these DBs.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FREE AGENCY OVER?
    By bigbadragz in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM
  2. Free agency
    By ThunderingLlama in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
  3. Free Agency
    By nzviking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 06:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •