Thread: Action Jackson

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Action Jackson

[size=14pt]Action Jackson[/size]
    [size=14pt]QB accounted for 96 yards in preseason opener[/size]

By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press

MINNEAPOLIS —

Tarvaris Jackson had anticipated his first professional football game for some time, but he really didn’t battle the nerves until he was in the Metrodome tunnel, ready to run onto the field in front of more than 60,000 fans.

“First game, man, Monday Night Football, it’s crazy,” the rookie quarterback said Monday night.

Jackson returns to training camp today, and he should have a boost in confidence from his 1 1⁄2 quarters of action against the Oakland Raiders.

Jackson completed 7 of 13 passes for 60 yards, and he was the team’s leading rusher with 36 yards on three carries. He played four series and led the team to two field goals in a 16-13 loss.

“There’s stuff I could have done better,” he said.

Jackson entered the game midway through the first quarter. His first pass floated and was knocked down by the defense, then he made a 9-yard scramble to set up third-and-1. After a first down, Jackson made a short completion before he had another receiver open on third down, but the pass took too long to get there.

“I have to make decisions a lot faster,” Jackson said. “I have to speed up, but not to the point where I’m rushing.”

Jackson’s best series came at the end of the second quarter as the Vikings took over at their own 32 with 31 seconds remaining until halftime. He completed three passes for 35 yards, and he scrambled for 10, setting up Ryan Longwell’s field goal as the half expired.

In the third quarter, Jackson led the team on another scoring drive, running 17 yards for the key play. But he didn’t slide at the end of the play and took a shot as he went down, hitting his head on the turf.

“He learned a couple of lessons,” coach Brad Childress said. “No. 1 that the Metrodome turf is hard. The other thing he learned is that when you slide, you need to make the first down. ... That could have been a very easy first down, but he’s OK.”

Jackson said that when he got to the sideline, the trainers asked him to recite the months backward to see if he was OK. Jackson said he only made it about seven months.

“Everything was a little blurry for a while,” he said. “Coach asked me a couple of questions. I guess I answered them OK.”

Jackson returned to finish the drive, which could have ended in a touchdown had Steven Jackson held on to a pass near the goal line, a play that Jackson created by moving around in the pocket.

Jackson said he didn’t hear the loud ovation, each time he entered the game. He said he was too focused on Childress’ play-calling and trying to relay that information to the team. Undoubtedly, fans will be clamoring for more of Jackson in the preseason, already pushing for him to be Brad Johnson’s backup when the season begins.

“I’m just trying to get better each day,” Jackson said. “If it happens, it happens. I’m just trying to become a better football player.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Action Jackson

Not bad for his first time.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I think this was already posted Cojo
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

for an nfl debut, he did pretty damn good.
    a couple of passes he was late on and they could have been picked, but thats expected by a rookie who was predicted to go in the 6th round.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I was definitely impressed with him on Monday. I wasn't expecting too much out of him considering it was his first NFL action, but he seemed very poised. For a 'project' QB, he seems to have come a long way in a short amount of time. I hope Childress can work his magic with him

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Blog Entries

i liked the article i saw that said in one month jackson has more nfl awareness than brooks after 8 years.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Unless it was tied in with another thread somehow and the words "Action Jackson" weren't a part of the title. I did a search on it as I do most things.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

I have a felling that Brad Johnson is gonna get hurt sometime during the season and T-Jack is gonna come in a light it up this guy is the real deal im going to buy his jersey im just waiting for S.Jackson to get cut

PEace

Blog Entries

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    I have a felling that Brad Johnson is gonna get hurt sometime during the season and T-Jack is gonna come in a light it up this guy is the real deal im going to buy his jersey im just waiting for S.Jackson to get cut

PEace
    last time someone had a feeling someone would get injured, it actually happened.
    keep in mind, as sharp as he looked, he was playing against the 2nd and 3rd string defense.
    thats guys that aren't good enough to make the raiders (not good)
    i really don't think he can light it up against full time starters on good teams.

darkflood is offline Starter

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Unless it was tied in with another thread somehow and the words "Action Jackson" weren't a part of the title. I did a search on it as I do most things.
    Isn't everything tied in with everything else? Most threads go completely off topic, and who do you think goes past the most recent posts? Doing a search does nothing when you are excited to talk about something new( even if it's not). Do a search on Tavaris, and you'll get 100 posts about Greenway. I know (think?) that it ties up the board doing redundant posts, but who has the time to search through 10,000 posts to see if the topic you bring up has been discussed before? It's all been discussed until the regular season, unless you're singersp, so who cares?
    ???
    WELL, I LL ASK HIM, BUT I DON T THINK HE WILL BE VERY KEEN. UH, HE S ALREADY GOT ONE, YOU SEE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast