Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Acquiring Jared Allen a win for Vikings, according to Monte Kiffin

[size=13pt]Charley Walters: Acquiring Jared Allen a win for Minnesota Vikings, according to Monte Kiffin[/size]

By Charley Walters
    Pioneer Press
    twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 05/06/2008 10:46:29 PM CDT

Monte Kiffin, the former Vikings defensive coordinator who is defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaners, used to be an assistant coach at the University of Nebraska....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Acquiring Jared Allen a win for Vikings, according to Monte Kiffin

Kiffin is right. Especially in the "Tampa 2" zone that both Tampa and we use, having a DE who can edge-rush is critical. I think that is why Kiffin is so high on Allen. In the true Cover 2, you don't bring "extra" rushers in passing situations, i.e. you don't bring the linebackers. That is why having a stud DE pass rusher is critical. I am talking about guys like Simeon Rice, Allen, and Dwight Freeney. This is a huge addition to our defense, but I doubt I would have to convince anyone of that on this site.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Kiffin is right. Especially in the "Tampa 2" zone that both Tampa and we use, having a DE who can edge-rush is critical. I think that is why Kiffin is so high on Allen. In the true Cover 2, you don't bring "extra" rushers in passing situations, i.e. you don't bring the linebackers. That is why having a stud DE pass rusher is critical. I am talking about guys like Simeon Rice, Allen, and Dwight Freeney. This is a huge addition to our defense, but I doubt I would have to convince anyone of that on this site.
    Excellent post my freind.

What Monte doesn't say is that Allen improves our defense in two ways.
    He fixes our issue with respect to a Edge Rusher, but he is also a every down kindof guy which means he can play the run as well.
    That my friends makes it hard for O-cords to determine if we are bringing it or not on any given situation.

By the way, there were a few on here who said that our CB's and S's were the reason our pass defense sucked.
    Heck, if we poke them a bit, they might even come out and play.... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Excellent post my freind.

What Monte doesn't say is that Allen improves our defense in two ways.
    He fixes our issue with respect to a Edge Rusher, but he is also a every down kindof guy which means he can play the run as well.
    That my friends makes it hard for O-cords to determine if we are bringing it or not on any given situation.

By the way, there were a few on here who said that our CB's and S's were the reason our pass defense sucked.
    Heck, if we poke them a bit, they might even come out and play.... ;D
    Our secondary though suspect at times, was not our problem last year.
    How the hell can you cover someone forever if the QB has all the time in the world?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Exactly why it was a genious move. I considered Allen one of top DE's if not the best at this time, in the NFL. He's only 26 years old, he's a high production consitent guy with high character. His addition to the locker room isn't being disscused enough. He's the type of player that builds championships.

I can understand that Monte is upset that he didn't make it to Tampa but he's gotta understand that Allen would have been crazy to go elsewhere and Allen himself new it. The money was right, the atmosphere was right and we are ready to do damage.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

have you ever seen what happens to a massive gear-cog system when the key cog is put in?

that's the Vikings D..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

We now have a defense that is capable of wining Superbowls as long as our young CBS, Safeties and LB and DE make a small step.

However, I fear our Offense is not close to completion just yet.
    Rice - Needs to make a big leap in consitancy. We know the kid has moves, he just need to see it on an every game basis.

TJ- His QB rating needs to improve. I wish he would take off with the ball some more, he's a poor man's Vick when he does that. He's that good

AD - He needs to be more patient and his pass blocking can use work. Still i beg for an answer why are we using him to block when he is the best weapon on the field. He should be runing a route as a check down to TJ. That's what the eagles do the entire game with Westbrook.

RG&RT - Continue to grow. We need you guys. I wish we would sign Oliviea and put him on the right side. He is a 7th round pick so the money will be average. At the very least we would have an insurance policy for MAC.

BB - Needs to maintain his play.

Shank - Needs to do a 180. A TE is a struggling qb's best friend. Stank - did nothing to help last year. I hate him for the key fubmle in the Skins game. If I was in charge we would sign Eric Johnson. Great blocker, Solid receiver. Somemoves make too much sense.

As you can see, defenses isn't really the issue with our team. Our Offense needed the most attention. We will still do good as long as these guys make improvements.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    TJ- His QB rating needs to improve. I wish he would take off with the ball some more, he's a poor man's Vick when he does that. He's that good
    I don't want him to run.
    He will just get hurt.
    I do want him to be a bit more mobile however.
    Maybe a frew more rollouts if his accuracey is better this year.

Barring that, I just want the OL to give him a damn pocket on a consistent basis so he can concentrate on making his reads as well as give him room so that he can stepping into his throws.

Shank - Needs to do a 180. A TE is a struggling qb's best friend. Stank - did nothing to help last year. I hate him for the key fubmle in the Skins game. If I was in charge we would sign Eric Johnson. Great blocker, Solid receiver. Somemoves make too much sense.
    A solid OL is a struggling QB's best friend.
    A solid OL also allows for the TE's to get into the passing game a bit more.
    Shank will be fine.

As you can see, defenses isn't really the issue with our team. Our Offense needed the most attention. We will still do good as long as these guys make improvements.
    I don't agree.
    Our defense has issues as well.

a.
    Although Pat and Kevin are huge in stopping the run, they do not collapse the pocket very well.
    There needs to be more push up the middle on a consistent basis or Allen will run right by the QB as he steps up into the pocket and throws.

b.
    LB's.
    Will they be able to drop into coverage now that we have a DL that should generate pressure with out thier help.
    Will they be able to contain TE's and get back into thier zones to stop the short slant routes.

c.
    CB's.
    Will Griff, Gordon and McCauley continue to mature and will Winfield stay healthy?

d.
    S.
    Does Sharper have one more year in him?
    I know alot of people like the guy but he was late getting over the top to help out alot last year.

Nope my friend.
    I see issues on both sides of the ball but I don't see any of them that can't be overcome this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't agree.

a.
    Although Pat and Kevin are huge in stopping the run, they do not collapse the pocket very well.
    There needs to be more push up the middle on a consistent basis or Allen will run right by the QB as he steps up into the pocket and throws.
    the big reason they were not getting that big collapse, was 90% they were dbl teamed. this i think is why we're gonna see a lot more penetration from the twin towers. some teams will make the mistake of taking off a dbl team on pat, or kwill and they will pay.
    i don't think there's a single center in the league that's gonna stop pat once he's movin.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    b.
    LB's.
    Will they be able to drop into coverage now that we have a DL that should generate pressure with out thier help.
    Will they be able to contain TE's and get back into thier zones to stop the short slant routes.
    how many int's did the lb's have last year. their first year as a true unit?
    that should just improve now. more time together. more time understanding exactly where they should be and what they should be doing. i expect a lot from our lb's. Ej, Ben, and Chad i think will be biting at the bit to get a chance to run any blitz they are allowed. open lanes str8 to the qb. the other 2. drop back and do as they did. int - > score.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    c.
    CB's.
    Will Griff, Gordon and McCauley continue to mature and will Winfield stay healthy?
    yeah. here i agree with ya, but i am still convinced they will learn from their prior mistakes, and good games.
    Winfield staying healthy is a genuine need.
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    d.
    S.
    I know alot of people like the guy but he was late getting over the top to help out alot last year.
    Sharper isn't the one that concerns me. if the Jared addition doesn't cause him to have a record int year. something is not right. including our draftee, i think we're very solid for this year, and competition will decide next year.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Nope my friend.
    I see issues on both sides of the ball but I don't see any of them that can't be overcome this year.
    issues i really don't see. we've seen most of the starters, the D was missing a key element in it's been put in place by our off season acquisitions. it would be nice if the O can come out and be up to the caliber of our D.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I don't agree.

a.
    the big reason they were not getting that big collapse, was 90% they were dbl teamed. this i think is why we're gonna see a lot more penetration from the twin towers. some teams will make the mistake of taking off a dbl team on pat, or kwill and they will pay.
    i don't think there's a single center in the league that's gonna stop pat once he's movin.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    b.
    LB's.
    how many int's did the lb's have last year. their first year as a true unit?
    that should just improve now. more time together. more time understanding exactly where they should be and what they should be doing. i expect a lot from our lb's. Ej, Ben, and Chad i think will be biting at the bit to get a chance to run any blitz they are allowed. open lanes str8 to the qb. the other 2. drop back and do as they did. int - > score.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    c.
    CB's.
    yeah. here i agree with ya, but i am still convinced they will learn from their prior mistakes, and good games.
    Winfield staying healthy is a genuine need.
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    d.
    S.
    Sharper isn't the one that concerns me. if the Jared addition doesn't cause him to have a record int year. something is not right. including our draftee, i think we're very solid for this year, and competition will decide next year.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Nope my friend.
    issues i really don't see. we've seen most of the starters, the D was missing a key element in it's been put in place by our off season acquisitions. it would be nice if the O can come out and be up to the caliber of our D.

DiGiTaL
    Now thats way to hard to pick apart.
    ;D

a.
    Phat Pats numbers went up in tackles for loss so that means he was getting through on run plays.
    Could be that they were facing alot of Double teams preventing them to collapse the pocket, but until I see it, I am concerned.

By the way, Kevins numbers continue to decline why Phat Pats went up.
    Also could be because of double teams but, again, I'm not so sure.

b.
    I think you will see the opposite from that.
    Less blitzing and more dropping into coverage.
    Sure we will see them send Leber or EJ once in a while, however, that is only to keep the O honest as blitzing LB'rs aren't a staple of the Cover 2 Defense.

c. and d. No issues.

As I said, ......

Nope my friend.
    I see issues on both sides of the ball but I don't see any of them that can't be overcome this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast