Thread: About Matt Birk

Forever Vikings is offline Training Camp

About Matt Birk

Can someone explain to me why there is some negativity on Matt Birk. As someone who is a big Matt Birk guy (even have his jersey), I think he is a terrific center. Why not resign him? He's smart, has a great reputation, a native Minnesotan, and executes well.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: About Matt Birk

Him and Childress don't get along, he's getting older, and they like what they see from John Sullivan.

I personally think Birk has at least 3 good years left and the teammates seem to respect him so I'd like to see him come back.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I like Matt Birk, and wish him to stay, but like the above poster said.
    He didn't seem to see eye to eye with the current bosses.
    It happens, hopefully he comes back, but if not I wish him well.
    The last of the 1998 group.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree with Tad. I don't think he likes the way Childress is doing things but I also don't think he wants to move anywhere else to play since this is his home town.

With the problems we are having on the line I don't think it would be good to get rid of the guy who has been here for 11 years without knowing what you have behind him. I am not sure if Birk would agree to a reduced role as a backup and a mentor but that might be the best for the team. My preference would be to bring him back and make Sullivan beat him out Mano e Mano.

"Forever" wrote:
    Can someone explain to me why there is some negativity on Matt Birk. As someone who is a big Matt Birk guy (even have his jersey), I think he is a terrific center. Why not resign him? He's smart, has a great reputation, a native Minnesotan, and executes well.
    I am also a Matt Birk fan, but I dont think we should re -sign him.

I pay very close attention to the play of the O line and Birk's play has slipped enormously the last 2 season... He is still is a good center but he is no longer a top notch center and he will no doubt be asking for top notch money and frankly he is not worth it anymore.

We should move Cook back to center and let him and Sullivan battle it out for the starting spot

There is no way Cook should stay at tackle he struggled there and we need improved play out of that position.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

1) Birk will want too much money

2) he isnt that good, wiffs alot, is slow, caused the fumble yesterday...but then Hutch didnt have the best second half of the season.

I didnt know he didnt get along with Dickless...maybe we should keep him.

Can anyone make me a FIRE CHILDRESS Release Tjoke sig please?

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

He will get top dollar money on the open market.
    The Vikings will pay him for that simply because his play has slipped the last couple of years.
    However, Birk is an upgrade to many of the teams in need of a quality center.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

As much of a fan i am from the guy, his play is declining. I don't think Sullivan is ready yet. If he's willing sign him to a low 2 yr deal or so. If he loves us he'll resign

Same for Sharper, Tyrell isn't ready yet but we can't break the bank on these guys.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

It all will depend on how much he wants... my guess is that he will play here for less than what he can get on the open market due to his history here, other business ventures, and just not wanting to move, etc.

That being said...
    yes his play has declined, but make no mistake about it...if he leaves, we are 90%+ likely to be taking a step backwards with whoever replaces him... He is still better than average.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

i agree his play has declined, but i still like the guy and hope he can finish his career as a viking.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.