Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

About the Dome … Let Zygi have it

Posted on Sun, Jul. 23, 2006

[size=18px]About the Dome … Let Zygi have it[/size]

JOE SOUCHERAY

Zygi Wilf, the owner of the Vikings, has been told there are wetland problems on the proposed site of his new development in Blaine. That's where Wilf wants to build a new football stadium and God knows what else. Wilf has downplayed that wetland claim, calling the wetland issue "a technical matter.'

Zygi, Zygi, Zygi. Listen, babe, maybe in New Jersey a wetland is a "technical' matter, which presupposes it might go away with the right skids getting greased. But this is Minnesota, where we worship wetlands to the point of calling common collection drainage pools at a housing development "the lakes,' "the shores' or "the falls.'

Zygi, we worship wetlands. They are the new cathedrals. They don't go away, technically, or any other way.

Now, it is interesting to note that Zygi reaffirmed his commitment to Blaine after a meeting with Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city leaders who brought Zygi back downtown for purposes of courting him. That tells me that Zygi didn't hear anything he liked at that meeting.

Once again, I am prepared to offer the most sensible plan. My plans are as valuable as the time it takes to read them, but I keep offering them and one of these days somebody will see the wisdom of my ways.

The city of Minneapolis should give Zygi the Metrodome and all the land around it. Free. Just sign it all over to him. He can tear down the Metrodome. He can renovate. He can peel off the roof. He can do whatever he wants.

Why should Minneapolis do such a thing?

Well, years and years ago when we were subjected to the scam that led to the Dome in the first place, we were told that the area would soon be bustling with shops, restaurants, bars and hotel rooms. Dad and the kids were going to go to the ballgame while mom shopped to her heart's content. The area even has a name, Industry Square, a bit Teutonic perhaps, but no more so than the Warehouse District. (In St. Paul, in the remnants of our warehouse district, we just discovered a 19th century wooden toilet, in of all places, the B&M Furniture Store. We are going to treat that toilet better than Minneapolis will end up treating the Metrodome.)

In any event, we are 25 years down the road since Pete Rose got the first-ever Metrodome hit, in an exhibition game, and only a bar called Hubert's has prospered there. Why, I can take you on a walk around the Metrodome and show you the same weeds growing through the same cracks in the asphalt that were there 25 years ago.

But Zygi is a developer. If you make him an attractive enough offer, he might see the future, especially in Minneapolis, where downtown living is all the rage. Free is a good start at an offer.

Not to mention that Minneapolis is going to be stuck with a great big empty building for the occasional tractor pull. That certainly diminishes the Metrodome as a rail stop. That's another thing that Zygi could have going for him. He could build a new stadium in Industry Square, surround it with his own mini-city of glamour and hip urbane prosperity, and a train already runs through the middle of it.

Where, you might wonder, would the Vikings play while Zygi Land is being built? Why, in the new Gopher football stadium, now that it is too late to stop that ridiculous boondoggle. The Vikings and Gophers should have shared one new stadium from the get-go.

Here's what should happen. The city should construct a very generous offer to Zygi. In the time it takes for Zygi to figure out the plans for his new mini-city, the new Gophers stadium will be ready. The Vikes slip into the new college stadium while their new stadium is being built. That's a lot of new, but new is good.

After about two years, the Vikings ceremoniously return to the site of the Metrodome, which will finally have been developed the way it was to have been developed 25 years ago.

Next.

Joe Soucheray can be reached at [email protected] or 651-228-5474. Soucheray is heard from 2 to 5:30 p.m. weekdays on KSTP-AM 1500.

About the Dome … Let Zygi have it

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: About the Dome … Let Zygi have it

This is an excert from the following article;

Article Link: [size=18px]Don't print that[/size]

There's a rumor that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf might be interested in purchasing land near the Mississippi River in downtown St. Paul for stadium development as leverage for his prospective new stadium in Blaine. But the Vikings say that's news to them.

The possibility of building a stadium on the Ford plant site in St. Paul has been suggested to Wilf, but there's a huge infrastructure problem and that idea has been dismissed.

Meanwhile, a group of Anoka County officials spent two days last week in Seattle examining the Seahawks' Qwest Field for design ideas as well as the city's adjacent commuter rail for their proposed Vikings stadium in Blaine. Although Wilf wants an open-air stadium (unless someone else is willing to pay for a roof), some Anoka County officials already are talking about the feasibility of having a temporary roof in order to play host to a Super Bowl. The Vikings, though, don't give the idea much credence.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I don't want a stadium downtown, I like the blaine idea better

Thanks PurpleMafia

"shawn9876uss" wrote:
    I don't want a stadium downtown, I like the blaine idea better
    Where ever it is, they damn well better have plenty of parking on site for everyone, especially for us tailgaters.

sodaknick is offline Starter

The great thing about the Dome is, unlike the Kingdome in Seattle, they won't have to blow it up, just pop it with a big needle. :grin:

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Tear down MOA and put a stadium back there. Just build it anywhere. Keep the Vikes in Minnesota.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Tear down MOA and put a stadium back there. Just build it anywhere. Keep the Vikes in Minnesota.
    Then there would be no Hooters :cry:
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"maddenhasamancrushonfavre" wrote:
    Then there would be no Hooters cry
    Hooters take less room than a stadium :grin:

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

People just don't get it!
    I don't know how many times I have said this...
    Sure Zygi wants the stadium, but he wants the shopping area, houses, hospital, etc much more. That will bring him in far more money than a stadium.
    People just don't understand economics.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"maddenhasamancrushonfavre" wrote:
    Then there would be no Hooters :cry:
    Wanna bet? Do you know where Burnsville is?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast