Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 98 Vikings - Third Best Team ever?

"Zeus" wrote:
    "LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:
    I would have to agree with Zeus on this one.

Our 1969 team IMHO would rank higher. We lost the superbowl that year to the Chiefs, but we were a feared team back in the day. We sent 9 players to the pro bowl including our entire defensive line (a.k.a. purple people eaters). Our point differential that year was 246, not as prolific as the 98 team but a better all around team.

"In 1969 the Vikings went 12-2, the best record in the NFL. The team had 12 straight victories, the longest single-season winning streak in 35 years. The Vikings defeated the Cleveland Browns, 27-7, in the NFL Championship Game on Jan. 4, 1970, at Metropolitan Stadium. Minnesota became the first modern NFL expansion team to win an NFL Championship Game, and earned a berth in Super Bowl IV. The heavily favored Vikings lost that game to the Kansas City Chiefs 23-7."
    Always glad when people agree with me!

Point differential, yards gained, points allowed, etc. etc. etc.

There's only one stat which matters:
    Wins and Losses.
    Sure, the Vikings were 16-2 in '98, but they needed to be 18-1.

The '98 team was awesome - I won multiple fantasy and pick-'em leagues because of that team.
    But, in a list of "best", they are no greater than other Vikings teams which have lost in the NFC Championship.

=Z=

They aren't? If wins and losses are all that matter, and they were 16-2, doesn't that make them better than all of the other Vikings teams that have lost in the NFC championship game?

Theres no way you can put a team who didnt win the Super Bowl in the Top 10 even. Granted the best team each year doesnt always win the Super Bowl, but to be one of the greatest teams ever that should certainly be on your resume. And according to that list such greats as the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins wouldnt be in the top 10. Nice stat, but in no way an indication of best teams ever.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    Theres no way you can put a team who didnt win the Super Bowl in the Top 10 even. Granted the best team each year doesnt always win the Super Bowl, but to be one of the greatest teams ever that should certainly be on your resume. And according to that list such greats as the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins wouldnt be in the top 10. Nice stat, but in no way an indication of best teams ever.
    The list only went back 20 seasons.
    SO the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins weren't included.

OK, OK, I have taken enough flack for not going back further! ;D
    I will get the rest of the years put on today or tomorrow.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    ...But, in a list of "best", they are no greater than other Vikings teams which have lost in the NFC Championship.
    True, but, they were also the highest scoring team in the NFL.
    Ever.
    Cool.
    Do they get to hang a banner at the MetroDome for that?
    Did the team get fancy rings?
    Did each player get to carry around the "We're the Highest Scoring Team Ever!" trophy for a day and drink beer out of it?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    Too bad they don't give out the Lombardi Trophy for scoring differential.

So, no, the '98 Vikings were not the Third Best Team ever.
    They failed to capture the big prize, so they are no better than the Forty-Second Best Team ever.
    Well pfffbbbbbt to you then!

I would maintain that the Lombardi Trophy isn't given to the best team each season.
    It is given to the team who wins the Super Bowl.
    Sometimes that is the best team, sometimes it isn't.
    Saying that the 2006 Colts were better than the Chargers, or the Saints, or even the Patriots is a tough sell.
    Saying that the Bears were the Best team in the NFC makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

That is one of the tings that makes football fun to watch.
    Any team can win on any given Sunday, they don't necessarily have to be the best.
    I guess we have a different definition of what the "Best Team Ever" is.
    You hang your hat on one particular stat.
    I hang my hat on winning the big prize.

By your measure, the '85 Bears aren't in the running for Best Team Ever.
    You do realize that's patently ridiculous, right?

=Z=

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Our 1969 team IMHO would rank higher. We lost the superbowl that year to the Chiefs, but we were a feared team back in the day. We sent 9 players to the pro bowl including our entire defensive line (a.k.a. purple people eaters). Our point differential that year was 246, not as prolific as the 98 team but a better all around team.

"In 1969 the Vikings went 12-2, the best record in the NFL. The team had 12 straight victories, the longest single-season winning streak in 35 years. The Vikings defeated the Cleveland Browns, 27-7, in the NFL Championship Game on Jan. 4, 1970, at Metropolitan Stadium. Minnesota became the first modern NFL expansion team to win an NFL Championship Game, and earned a berth in Super Bowl IV. The heavily favored Vikings lost that game to the Kansas City Chiefs 23-7."

Wins and Losses.

The '98 team was awesome - I won multiple fantasy and pick-'em leagues because of that team.
    But, in a list of "best", they are no greater than other Vikings teams which have lost in the NFC Championship.
    They aren't? If wins and losses are all that matter, and they were 16-2, doesn't that make them better than all of the other Vikings teams that have lost in the NFC championship game?
    Sure!
    So the '98 Vikings are the 5th-best Minnesota Vikings team in their 46 years of playing football.
    I'm fine with that.

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Wins and Losses.

Sure!
    So the '98 Vikings are the 5th-best Minnesota Vikings team in their 46 years of playing football.
    I'm fine with that.

=Z=
    How true!
    Our 1969 team ranked #1 on both Offensive and Defense that year. Without that World Championship trophy we will never be mentioned as one of the greatest.
    Some of our players will go down in history as the best but never as a team.
    I think by winning the Superbowl that year we would have been in the top 10 or 20.
    It all starts up front

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Best" and "Greatest" are all subjective to the information in which they are being judged.

In the NFL, we are loaded with statistics . . . that's what makes this game so great.
    We can debate and no matter what team you pull for . . . there's always light at the end of the tunnel . . . because of the statistics.

For this discussion, assuming the statistics are correct, we are the third best team ever!

=Z= is introducing a different standard to judge the "best" or "greatest" from, that does not apply to this model.
    And it's not that I disagree with them . . . because it's all about the "Wins & Losses" and NOT losing in the most important game (which we did 4 times).

Obviously, hard work & skill needs a certain degree of luck for it all to work.
    Our luck ran out in 1998.
    I think . . . no, I know . . . if we had to play that Atlanta game all over again . . . we would have advanced to the Super Bowl and won it all (finally).

But such is life as a Viking fan . . . a ton of talent, but just can't get the job done when it matters the most!
    There is hope . . . look at the Boston Red Sox!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

"sleepagent" wrote:
    "Best" and "Greatest" are all subjective to the information in which they are being judged.

In the NFL, we are loaded with statistics . . . that's what makes this game so great.
    We can debate and no matter what team you pull for . . . there's always light at the end of the tunnel . . . because of the statistics.

For this discussion, assuming the statistics are correct, we are the third best team ever!
    The '98 Vikings are the third best team in terms of scoring differential ever.

Nothing more.

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

How true!
    Our 1969 team ranked #1 on both Offensive and Defense that year. Without that World Championship trophy we will never be mentioned as one of the greatest.
    Some of our players will go down in history as the best but never as a team.
    I think by winning the Superbowl that year we would have been in the top 10 or 20.
    The points differential for our 1969 team is 246, which would place them just under the 1998 team.

Again, I don't think that winning the Superbowl is the only requirement for being deemed one of the best teams.
    In fact, I think that it is very possible for
    team that is not one of the best to make it to and even win the superbowl.
    The Colts are a good example.
    Either the Chargers or the Pats should have been there instead of them.

But sleepagent is right, the term "best" is entirely subjective.
    My point is posting this data wasn't to crown any team the best ever, but more as some fun stats to look at in a long offseason.
    Consume them as you see fit.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast