Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 84

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I don't understand the whole number-retirement-thing. It just opens up a big can of worms. Who do you retire and who do you not? There's a lot of players that should be honored but won't because their "numbers won't be retired". Honor the person, put him in a ring of honor, but don't retire the number. Bud Grants in the hall of fame, and the Vikings ring of honor. He didn't have to have a number retired for us to remember him long after he's gone. That should be enough for players too.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"SKOL" wrote:
    I don't understand the whole number-retirement-thing. It just opens up a big can of worms. Who do you retire and who do you not? There's a lot of players that should be honored but won't be because their "numbers won't be retired". Honor the person, put him in a ring of honor, but don't retire the number. Bud Grants in the hall of fame, and the Vikings ring of honor. He didn't have to have a number retired for us to remember him long after he's gone. That should be enough for players too.
    Good post. I guess retiring a number is just an additional way to honor a player by saying he was so good and faithful for us, we do not want anybody to wear that number ever again.

jberg987 is offline Waterboy

Well, you can only retire so many numbers, or we'll start to see triple digit numbers on peoples backs

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jberg987" wrote:
    Well, you can only retire so many numbers, or we'll start to see triple digit numbers on peoples backs
    That's why it is such an honor. At least #80 is retired!!!

jberg987 is offline Waterboy

Oh, Im not trying to imply that I don't think numbers should be retired, but i just don't agree with having 84 be retired. It is just way too early to say it should be,

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456