Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re:8 Vikings make pro bowl

I find it hard to believe that there is no one better at the position than McKinnie. Then again I don't know the names of any of the other guys at that position.

I'm guessing his off the field incidents have increased his name recognition, might be the reason he's in the pro-bowl.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

jmcdon00 wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that there is no one better at the position than McKinnie. Then again I don't know the names of any of the other guys at that position.

I'm guessing his off the field incidents have increased his name recognition, might be the reason he's in the pro-bowl.
    Good point.

Actually Schlereth kindof made that point as well this morning on Mike and MIke.

His counterpart took it one step further and made the comment that the AFC is alot better than the NFC roster.

If that is in fact true, is it because (as you mention) the NFC is less talented or is it because the AFC fans are smarter than the NFC fans.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

Good point.

Actually Schlereth kindof made that point as well this morning on Mike and MIke.

His counterpart took it one step further and made the comment that the AFC is alot better than the NFC roster.

If that is in fact true, is it because (as you mention) the NFC is less talented or is it because the AFC fans are smarter than the NFC fans.
    Since the fan vote is, what, 20% or 25% of the vote for a position starting position, then you can't blame the fans for putting McKinnie on the team. His peers also voted for him.

Perhaps Dwight Freeney voted for him because he knows he'll be easy to beat so he can get the Pro Bowl MVP award.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    Perhaps Dwight Freeney voted for him because he knows he'll be easy to beat so he can get the Pro Bowl MVP award.
    You crack me up! :laugh:

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

Good point.

Since the fan vote is, what, 20% or 25% of the vote for a position starting position, then you can't blame the fans for putting McKinnie on the team. His peers also voted for him.

=Z=
    You might be right.

As to the fan vote. Until they take it away, one will never know who the players and coaches think are truly deserving.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    You crack me up! :laugh:
    I need to get off my ass and post the pick of Little Marrdro's shirt he wore for me.

Suffice it to say, it said I cracked him up. :lol:

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Percy got hosed.

Not sure why everyone is so tough on McKinnie...

Greenway got hosed and so did Clay Matthews.

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

On a bit of a side note-How does the SUN get around a 6'7 335lb guy?, Much less DT's who are roughly 3-4 inches smaller.
    (Rhetorical question-no answer needed)
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

jmcdon00 wrote:

My vote would go for Kareem McKenzie. IMO McKinnie got in because the fans vote and due to Favre's success this season...he doesn't deserve it.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

dfosterf wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that it can be a negative for your team when a player that arguably should not be in the Pro Bowl is awarded the designation.

I'm not speaking of the Vikings 8 in particular, I have made this argument on my "own" forum. I readily admit I am in a minority of approximately one on this issue. Some of you might recall that I have posted articles from National Football Post. Personally, I think everyone that is an NFL fan should bookmark it for daily reading, as you receive insight you just cannot get anywhere else. Andrew Brandt, as an example, gives you insight on the business of the NFL.

A Pro Bowl award often costs (perhaps otherwise unnecessary)money. Sometimes it will not matter...a Brett Favre or an Aaron Rodgers as an example...They will get paid top dollar. Sometimes it will cost you money, though. Nick Collins was a bit over-rated last year when he made the pro-bowl. Long story short, he has been making noises about his contract ever since...Essentially ticked off about an exponential increase in salary from his rookie contract incentive clause, but not "pro-bowler" $$$. He will get a HUGE payday, btw--this year he does deserve it, imo...but that is not my point.

The resources are finite, and imo, a thinking fan will-as often as not--root AGAINST a marginal player on their team "making" the pro-bowl. It isn't hard to make the inductive leap that "x" player is taking $$$ out of the ability to retain the services of "y" player. I know this is lost upon-and nay-sayed by most, but it is a reality, again, imo.

Another negative, besides the agent being armed with that pro-bowl designation come contract time is the exposure of your pro-bowl player to all the other pro-bowl players. "You are not getting PAID, my man." discussions, etc.

Have you ever seen this site? They track players by position, and rate them accordingly throughout the year.

Good stuff, imo.
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/home.php?tab=home

This is just my personal opinion, and it has nothing to do with a Vikes vs. Pack affiliation. Again, my fellow Puker fans residing here will tell you I have expressed this same sentiment within the friendly confines of "our" forum.

Good points. ProFootballFocus is a very good source of stats, but still lends itself to some subjectivity. But overall, I'd say it's fair. According to them, McKinnie is the 43rd ranked OT in the NFL (17th among LT's).

Even with the financial aspect aside, I don't like the Pro Bowl award, particularly with the fans voting. It becomes a popularity contest, or one where the usual suspects win year after year. For fans, it is a source of pride to say "my team has 8 pro bowlers", but to me it means very little. I'd rather have a team that gets little or no recognition, one that stays hungry and is always fighting to prove themselves.

That said, I am happy for Sidney Rice.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast