Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    [B][U][SIZE=4]I

I am in stage 5, which means I can start enjoying Vikings games again. Looking forward to 2012...

I think you're at stage 6....Rationalizing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gregair13 View Post
    I was in stage 5 the whole time. Where do I go from here
    We've got a stage 5 clinger here

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    5 Stages of Being a Vikings Fan in 2011

1. Denial"We have a too much talent on this team to not be great."; "Sure, McNabb sucked last year, but he didn't have AD in the backfield."; "Hey, if we win out, we will still make the playoffs…"
    Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the gravity of the situation that is the 2011 Vikings.

2. Anger"Why the f*** aren't we feeding the ball to AD in the second half?"; "We have to play TWO g*dd*mn halves of football, not one!"; "Oh Good! Another f***ing flag!"; "We have a sh***y QB who can't get the ball to our bad f***ing receivers. Wonderful."
    Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to enjoy a game with due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual who is actually still enjoying football is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.

3. Bargaining"Dear God, please let us hang on to this lead…"; "If we put Ponder in, I swear I will be happy. I won't b*tch and moan about the QB play anymore."; "I promise to wear purple every day for the next month if we win this week."
    The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow have an impact on the outcome of the game. Usually, the negotiation is made with a higher power in exchange for better on-field performance. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand that the Vikings are not a good team this year, but if I could just get them to play well long enough for them to make the playoffs…"

4. Depression"I'm so sad, why bother watching football anymore?"; "Green Bay is going to win anyway . . . What's the point?"; "I miss Brad Childress/MikeTice/Dennis Green/<insert coach here>…"
    During the fourth stage, the Vikings fan begins to understand the certainty of a horrible 2011 season. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the Vikings fan to disconnect oneself from mature and stable football fans. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.

5. Acceptance"It's going to be okay, we are going to get a really good draft pick, maybe even Andrew Luck."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
    This final stage comes with peace and understanding of what the 2011 season really means to the Vikings. Generally, the person in the fifth stage accepts the limitations of the 2011 Vikings, and embraces the unique advantages that it brings. It may be physically painful to watch the Vikings this year, but we are going to get to see our young QB develop, and we'll know what direction we need to take next year. At least we'll have the satisfaction of seeing Detroit beat Green Bay for the NFC North title. This stage has also been described as the end of the Vikings fan struggle, and fans in this stage can generally watch an entire Vikings game without breaking down and crying or launching explicatives (and remote controls) at their TVs. In fact, given their detachment from any expectation of a playoff run, they are enjoyable to watch a game with. As long as it isn't the Packers. We still hate the Packers.

I am in stage 5, which means I can start enjoying Vikings games again. Looking forward to 2012...

Can you please blog this post? I'd love to share it on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by gregair13 View Post
    I was in stage 5 the whole time. Where do I go from here
    I don't know. What stage is "Hey, hockey starts on Friday"? (go Blackhawks!)

Quote Originally Posted by josdin00 View Post

I don't know. What stage is "Hey, hockey starts on Friday"? (go Blackhawks!)

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josdin00 View Post
    Can you please blog this post? I'd love to share it on facebook.
    Done.
    http://www.purplepride.org/blogs/nod...s-fan-2011-19/
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Why do I come full circle from stage 5 to stage 1 every year and repeat that process over and over and over? I think I may be a purple masochist. I enjoy pain and suffering I guess.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

approaching stage 7-IN need of a liver transplant due to tying to "manage" the other 6 stages. This stage involves watching the calendar til yet another season of futility.............

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I was at stage 5 after our second preseason game.

Enjoying watching the Lions actually, have Matthew Stafford on my fantasy team. Not switching allegiances or anything, but it's just so relaxing not to watch games just to find reasons to be pissed off at Childress. I feel like I can enjoy football again.

Listen, we're in the first year of a new coach and new QB (hopefully we'll have an even newer QB soon...), so I tried to have realistic expectations coming into the season.

However, we have to get rid of Musgrave. We're just going to end up firing him in a year or two anyways. The guy is clueless.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I think you're at stage 6....Rationalizing.
    The way I read stage 5, it's more like a combination of stages 1 and 3....which means that Viking fans are stuck in a loop of eternal frustration...

...wonderful.....

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The way I read stage 5, it's more like a combination of stages 1 and 3....which means that Viking fans are stuck in a loop of eternal frustration...

...wonderful.....

Caine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12