Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Norseman 5 Stages of Being a Vikings Fan in 2011

5 Stages of Being a Vikings Fan in 2011

1. Denial"We have a too much talent on this team to not be great."; "Sure, McNabb sucked last year, but he didn't have AD in the backfield."; "Hey, if we win out, we will still make the playoffs…"
    Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the gravity of the situation that is the 2011 Vikings.

2. Anger"Why the f*** aren't we feeding the ball to AD in the second half?"; "We have to play TWO g*dd*mn halves of football, not one!"; "Oh Good! Another f***ing flag!"; "We have a sh***y QB who can't get the ball to our bad f***ing receivers. Wonderful."
    Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to enjoy a game with due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual who is actually still enjoying football is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.

3. Bargaining"Dear God, please let us hang on to this lead…"; "If we put Ponder in, I swear I will be happy. I won't b*tch and moan about the QB play anymore."; "I promise to wear purple every day for the next month if we win this week."
    The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow have an impact on the outcome of the game. Usually, the negotiation is made with a higher power in exchange for better on-field performance. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand that the Vikings are not a good team this year, but if I could just get them to play well long enough for them to make the playoffs…"

4. Depression"I'm so sad, why bother watching football anymore?"; "Green Bay is going to win anyway . . . What's the point?"; "I miss Brad Childress/MikeTice/Dennis Green/<insert coach here>…"
    During the fourth stage, the Vikings fan begins to understand the certainty of a horrible 2011 season. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the Vikings fan to disconnect oneself from mature and stable football fans. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.

5. Acceptance"It's going to be okay, we are going to get a really good draft pick, maybe even Andrew Luck."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
    This final stage comes with peace and understanding of what the 2011 season really means to the Vikings. Generally, the person in the fifth stage accepts the limitations of the 2011 Vikings, and embraces the unique advantages that it brings. It may be physically painful to watch the Vikings this year, but we are going to get to see our young QB develop, and we'll know what direction we need to take next year. At least we'll have the satisfaction of seeing Detroit beat Green Bay for the NFC North title. This stage has also been described as the end of the Vikings fan struggle, and fans in this stage can generally watch an entire Vikings game without breaking down and crying or launching explicatives (and remote controls) at their TVs. In fact, given their detachment from any expectation of a playoff run, they are enjoyable to watch a game with. As long as it isn't the Packers. We still hate the Packers.

I am in stage 5, which means I can start enjoying Vikings games again. Looking forward to 2012...
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 10-04-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Good stuff, I think we'll all be at stage 5 soon, if not already. It's a painful process, but at least this year it went quick.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am at stage 6.

It includes increased occurrences of hunting and fishing during times that would generally be spent watching the team and instead focuses on listening to Kfan when sitting in the boat or driving from field to field. Alcohol is also prevalent in stage 6.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am at stage 6.

It includes increased occurrences of hunting and fishing during times that would generally be spent watching the team and instead focuses on listening to Kfan when sitting in the boat or driving from field to field. Alcohol is also prevalent in stage 6.
    Stage 6 is sounding really nice...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

missvikes is offline Training Camp
    Going through these last year (& many choke seasons before) make it a lil easier. The foresight of winning a game this year does make me sweat a bit. I refuse to take my huge Vikings head sticker off my truck even though I see people laugh at me as I drive down the road! & I will still watch every game while my neighbors walk over at the end of every quarter mocking me "go Vikings" & tell my dog he needs a green mohawk. It's called unconditional love for my team!
    SKOL!!

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am at stage 6.

Alcohol may be involved at all stages, depending on the number of years you have been a part of this process.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Paul...Great post, laughing my ass off and feel the same way.

CbusVikefan is offline Training Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    5 Stages of Being a Vikings Fan in 2011

1. Denial"We have a too much talent on this team to not be great."; "Sure, McNabb sucked last year, but he didn't have AD in the backfield."; "Hey, if we win out, we will still make the playoffs…"
    Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the gravity of the situation that is the 2011 Vikings.

2. Anger"Why the f*** aren't we feeding the ball to AD in the second half?"; "We have to play TWO g*dd*mn halves of football, not one!"; "Oh Good! Another f***ing flag!"; "We have a sh***y QB who can't get the ball to our bad f***ing receivers. Wonderful."
    Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to enjoy a game with due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual who is actually still enjoying football is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.

3. Bargaining"Dear God, please let us hang on to this lead…"; "If we put Ponder in, I swear I will be happy. I won't b*tch and moan about the QB play anymore."; "I promise to wear purple every day for the next month if we win this week."
    The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow have an impact on the outcome of the game. Usually, the negotiation is made with a higher power in exchange for better on-field performance. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand that the Vikings are not a good team this year, but if I could just get them to play well long enough for them to make the playoffs…"

4. Depression"I'm so sad, why bother watching football anymore?"; "Green Bay is going to win anyway . . . What's the point?"; "I miss Brad Childress/MikeTice/Dennis Green/<insert coach here>…"
    During the fourth stage, the Vikings fan begins to understand the certainty of a horrible 2011 season. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the Vikings fan to disconnect oneself from mature and stable football fans. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.

5. Acceptance"It's going to be okay, we are going to get a really good draft pick, maybe even Andrew Luck."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
    This final stage comes with peace and understanding of what the 2011 season really means to the Vikings. Generally, the person in the fifth stage accepts the limitations of the 2011 Vikings, and embraces the unique advantages that it brings. It may be physically painful to watch the Vikings this year, but we are going to get to see our young QB develop, and we'll know what direction we need to take next year. At least we'll have the satisfaction of seeing Detroit beat Green Bay for the NFC North title. This stage has also been described as the end of the Vikings fan struggle, and fans in this stage can generally watch an entire Vikings game without breaking down and crying or launching explicatives (and remote controls) at their TVs. In fact, given their detachment from any expectation of a playoff run, they are enjoyable to watch a game with. As long as it isn't the Packers. We still hate the Packers.

I am in stage 5, which means I can start enjoying Vikings games again. Looking forward to 2012...
    This is hilarious, and so true. Is it too soon to look to 2012? Will the Vikings be "Lucky"? Not sure if I want to have the 1st pick. Of course that means that the VIkes would be the worst team in the league.

Gift2 is offline Training Camp
    0-4, stage 5 or bust
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13700&dateline=131777  2416

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    I was in stage 5 the whole time. Where do I go from here
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast