Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: 49er Game 07 was the turning point...

We're going to be fine.

T-Jack does need to be more consistent, yes. Overall though we will be fine.

The Bears made it to the Super Bowl with a QB who is about on our level and a running game that isn't anywhere near ours. We have an equal or better defense than the one they had, and our offense is without a question better. We have what it takes to go deep this year.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    BB is not going to solve a gol 'darnit thing. I like the guy and he is a good WR but his skill set won't defeat the defense we are facing. The defenses we are facing are basically giving us this look.

CB

FS

CB

They have the deep ball covered. What is available to us ar hooks, outs, ins, comebacks. We need our savior this year will be Rice, Shank and or Tjack. A burner is going to push the saftey and CBs deep with him. The defense is design to prevent the deep ball. Rice or Shank must develop into a consistant receiving threat. TJ must make the these throws while avoiding the deception of the underneath LBs and fake blitzs. He must make his reads quickly and find what area of the 5-12 yard
    box is uncovered.

The 49ers weren't the first team to stack the box. What the 49ers did was run a slight version of spy with their Cbs. They ran what we called an umbrella. It was later ran to perfection by the Skins.
    Before the play started the 49ers defense looked like this

S

CB

S

CB

We never adjusted and it's the biggest question mark facing the team. Some of you felt it was DE but I didn't. We have to find away to spread teams out and run the ball. We must now do to teams what they started to do to us since the 06 Pats game. We must get the extra Lbs off the field.
    Thanks Kev.. that's exactly what i've been saying about us adding BB and us needing another receiver other than BObby Wade.. but ppl on here have been giving me ish about it!!..

Stil purple i actually agree with you...(for a change!!!) and think you are right on the money with your topic starting post...!!!!!

My contention in this case is with the coaching staff... they didn't find a way to adjust to what teams were doing against us... same with the Pats game the year before...

Until i see our coaching staff be able to make adjustments /in-game adjustments, i will wonder about our ability to go deep into the playoffs... It took them like 4 games to figure out that every team we played after the 9ers game was gonna run the exact same thing until we found a way to beat it..
    and we never adjusted!!!..

I think the staff should have sent TJ to the line of scrimmage in a 3 wide set with two plays.. pass first, run second.... until they got out of that defense..

BUT NO, WE KEPT RUNNING THE SAME POWER FORMATION AND weren't able to open it up until the 2nd half of the skins, bears and Broncos game!!!.. which makes no sense... we should have done that the next possession we saw the same thing!!!....

Our coaches inability to make adjustments on the fly will most likely be our achilles heal this year with the exception of TJ's development, which arguably have alot to do with one another!!!....

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

The 49ers played some tuff run defense in that game but Tarvaris also made them pay with a perfect pass to Furgy on a CB blitz that he read and beat. He also had zero INT's, protecting the ball is huge.

The Redskins game was a bad game for alot of players, most notably Tarvaris, it was National Televised game and the guys around him didn't exactly help him out. I was really bumbed that Rice was injured and he had Wade and Furgy on the outside against a top defense. The OLine played like sh*t and we suffered, both in the run game and pass game. Tarvaris didn't help matters and made bad passes while under pressure. Our Dline couldn't touch Todd Collins and he had day to pick upart our DB's and LB's, even then we played fairly solid but given pressure I think we would have won that game regardless of poor offensive play. Pointing the finger at anyone player in this game would be a mistake.

To the fool who has no confidence in Bernard Berrian is just that, a fool. He thinks Bernard is here just to go deep, this is very incorrect. If he was to go back and watch Berrians play he would understand why his now a Viking. He has very solid speed, runs a nice route and gets good seperation. He didn't produce 71 long bombs, he's a West Coast guy that is willing to go over the middle and do the intermediate shorter routes. He's still young and will improve his routes even more, he has great ball skills and body control. IMO he is a complete wide reciever and not one dimensional. Same goes for a number of WR's on our roster, Rice doesn't have great speed but he is a threat downfield. I have alot of confidence with the guys we have here, the one thing I worry about is continuety and timing, next year should be even better. By then Allison or Jaymar Johnson should have Bobby's job.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Ok, I think this is the time to bring this up. This has been bothering me since November 2007. I sometimes feel that I am the only one who saw this, too.

I am talking about the 49er game:

- Up to that point: AP was ripping apart defenses, and D-coordinators had no answers to it.

- The SF game changed everything: the Niners stacked the "box", forcing us to pass, and we couldn't. There were no lanes to run in, and AP was completely stuffed.

Every team we played after that watched what the Niners did to us that game and copied it. And the thing that bothers me is that Chilly and his coaches had - apparently - no answer for it.

My major concern going into 2008: this will continue. We will see 8 and even 9 defenders in the box, with no lanes for AP, and single coverage on our WRs, and we won't move the chains.

Am I the only one who sees this ? Please wake me up and tell me this was all a nightmare.
    Do you honestly believe that game was the first game that we started to see 8 and 9 man fronts?

Go back and use youtube.
    You will find that as AD started to become a known threat 8 man fronts were pretty common.

As for waking you up, I've been trying for some time now but you just aren't listening.

Go ahead, relent, get on the Happy Happy Joy Joy Bandwagon my friend.
    Life will be simpler.
    ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48dMlT27v8
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Just looked the stats up:

- Peterson had only 3 yards rushing on 14 carries.
    - Chester had 101 yards on 8 carries, but that includes the 85 yard run.
    - Tarvaris was 16/25 for like 165 yards and a TD pass with no INTs.

We won because the Niners turned the ball over 5 times...

To me, what jumps out is the 3 yards for AP (obviously). For a QB to throw that yardage vs. a stacked box all day is very, very mediocre, too. Chester had a good day, but based on one run.

Obviously, I hope that this does not continue, and I trust that Chilly has a better answer for this than to try to run AP off tackle 20 times in a row. I would expect more screen passes to AP and some slants to Wade, etc. to get us out of this. But my main point is that D-Coordinators around the NFL have found a way to slow AP down, and we need to counter that.

Football is about adjustments...And it seems to me, that trend continued in the final games.
    I just love it when someone uses that cliche........ ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"midgensa" wrote:
    What the hell is the guy supposed to do? Sidney was hurt for the end of the regular season so we had to rely on Wade and Williamson to break the 9 in the box?
    He addressed the problem you had immediately in the offseason by getting Bernard Berrian.
    As far as Adrian being stuffed ... we were ahead like 21-0 almost immediately in that game ... we did not even PRETEND to pass in the second half as both teams clearly just wanted the clock to run out. The games following ... Adrian went for two touchdowns in the win over the Bears. Against the Skins and Broncos we had to PASS the entire game because we were behind. That is actually pretty common in football.
    See, in the NFL, when you get behind ... you PASS to try and catch up because it does not chew up as much time and it breaks off longer chunks of yardage. Got it?
    Hate, hate, hate all you like, but Childress and the FO CLEARLY addressed the passing game in the offseason by picking up the BEST WR on the market ... now that that has been cleared up ... pick something else to beeyatch about.
    Thats an excellent post right thar.
    ;D

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    The 49ers played some tuff run defense in that game but Tarvaris also made them pay with a perfect pass to Furgy on a CB blitz that he read and beat. He also had zero INT's, protecting the ball is huge.

The Redskins game was a bad game for alot of players, most notably Tarvaris, it was National Televised game and the guys around him didn't exactly help him out. I was really bumbed that Rice was injured and he had Wade and Furgy on the outside against a top defense. The OLine played like sh*t and we suffered, both in the run game and pass game. Tarvaris didn't help matters and made bad passes while under pressure. Our Dline couldn't touch Todd Collins and he had day to pick upart our DB's and LB's, even then we played fairly solid but given pressure I think we would have won that game regardless of poor offensive play. Pointing the finger at anyone player in this game would be a mistake.

To the fool who has no confidence in Bernard Berrian is just that, a fool. He thinks Bernard is here just to go deep, this is very incorrect. If he was to go back and watch Berrians play he would understand why his now a Viking. He has very solid speed, runs a nice route and gets good seperation. He didn't produce 71 long bombs, he's a West Coast guy that is willing to go over the middle and do the intermediate shorter routes. He's still young and will improve his routes even more, he has great ball skills and body control. IMO he is a complete wide reciever and not one dimensional. Same goes for a number of WR's on our roster, Rice doesn't have great speed but he is a threat downfield. I have alot of confidence with the guys we have here, the one thing I worry about is continuety and timing, next year should be even better. By then Allison or Jaymar Johnson should have Bobby's job.
    I'm not sure if your talking to me or not... but i'll address your fool comment anyway...

NO one said, they don't have confidence in BB... i think he is good, but him alone.. added to what we had last year,
    one could argue.. is not gonna make a WR corp that was one of the worst in the league last year, all that much better...

noone doubts that he's not a good player... obviously!!!.. But in terms of upgrades, i just feel we needed more than him... maybe that could be allison, or wade (doubt it) or ferg... but IMO we need ed another weapon in the passing game to help out TJ... if you notice, all of our upgrades, were on defense this year, and our defense was good enough to get us into the playoffs...

on the other hand, our offense was one of the worst (passing games) int he league and all you do is add BB... and we're set???

that's my contention!!!...

I don't doubt that BB can do more than go deep!!.. however, we'll just have to see how much he can improve our pass offense...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    Thanks Kev.. that's exactly what i've been saying about us adding BB and us needing another receiver other than BObby Wade.. but ppl on here have been giving me ish about it!!..

Stil purple i actually agree with you...(for a change!!!) and think you are right on the money with your topic starting post...!!!!!

My contention in this case is with the coaching staff... they didn't find a way to adjust to what teams were doing against us... same with the Pats game the year before...

Until i see our coaching staff be able to make adjustments /in-game adjustments, i will wonder about our ability to go deep into the playoffs... It took them like 4 games to figure out that every team we played after the 9ers game was gonna run the exact same thing until we found a way to beat it..
    and we never adjusted!!!..

I think the staff should have sent TJ to the line of scrimmage in a 3 wide set with two plays.. pass first, run second.... until they got out of that defense..

BUT NO, WE KEPT RUNNING THE SAME POWER FORMATION AND weren't able to open it up until the 2nd half of the skins, bears and Broncos game!!!.. which makes no sense... we should have done that the next possession we saw the same thing!!!....

Our coaches inability to make adjustments on the fly will most likely be our achilles heal this year with the exception of TJ's development, which arguably have alot to do with one another!!!....
    You can use my name instead of using the "People" approach when it comes to B-wade.
    It will make it easier to search for the threads and then highlight them this year when he is doing exactly what you say he can't.
    ;D

You are another guy, by the way, who likes to throw the adjustment cliche around it seems.
    I think you could have been a bit more creative and used it at least 3 more times in that para instead of actually describing an adjustment

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I'm not sure if your talking to me or not... but i'll address your fool comment anyway...

NO one said, they don't have confidence in BB... i think he is good, but him alone.. added to what we had last year,
    one could argue.. is not gonna make a WR corp that was one of the worst in the league last year, all that much better...

noone doubts that he's not a good player... obviously!!!.. But in terms of upgrades, i just feel we needed more than him... maybe that could be allison, or wade (doubt it) or ferg... but IMO we need ed another weapon in the passing game to help out TJ... if you notice, all of our upgrades, were on defense this year, and our defense was good enough to get us into the playoffs...

on the other hand, our offense was one of the worst (passing games) int he league and all you do is add BB... and we're set???

that's my contention!!!...

I don't doubt that BB can do more than go deep!!.. however, we'll just have to see how much he can improve our pass offense...
    Give me your dream scenario for what should have happened in the offseason to fix the WR corp to include CAP implications to sign all the Vets your gonna mention.

Maybe, just maybe, in the real world, your plan won't work.

Face it my friend, our offense was lacking last year in the area of passing and most of it was centered on 3 things...

a.
    T-will.
    b.
    TJ
    c.
    OL protection.

T-will is gone.
    BB will provide the production we didn't get out of that guy.

TJ for cripes sake was learning on the field last year.
    Why can't you come to grips with that fact.
    He will read defenses better, he will throw the ball on target to WR's in stride this year and our passing will be better because of the reps/experience he got last year.

OL is another issue.
    Lets hope McKinnie isn't gone long and Birk (and TJ) learn how to make pre-snap reads/adjustments better this year.

Long story short, you can keep harping all you want about Coaches and adjustments and TJ and his shitty play but if you would pull your head out of the "I hate them drum" you would see what the rest of us are seeing (with the exception of a couple of guys supporting your mad theories of course
    ;D)

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:

N ot sure if you are talking about me here but I will defend myself nevertheless. I never siad I don't have confidence in BB. I do. However, he is a better version of Greg Jennings of the Packs. Yes he can work the middle but BB is more of a burner working the deep crossing patterns than the intermeddiate routes. If you saw any ears games last year, you would see that most of his catches came on the long ball. They weren't allways homerun threats but they were well above the NFL average of 6 yards a pass.
    My point is the belief of this board is that if teams are stacking the box we will go "up top to BB". That's not going to happen. I have already pointed out where in the field we must target. TJ must be able to locate the hole in the defenses. With the added pressue the 2nd level of the defense will be like swiss cheese. There will be huge holes but defenses will try to cover them by jumping in and out of these zones. It TJ locks on to a WR like he did last year. He will get picked. If our WRs don't get seperation( BB or who ever) we will struggle. Like I said, the deep ball will not be there, the middle will be. A smart team will use their Burner to push the Deep 3 back and open up the window for our other WRs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast