Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 3rd and Long - the Vikings Nemesis...

"Acumen" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Just thinking out loud here, but sometimes I wonder if it's Childress' play-calling or if BJ's checking down to the 3rd or 4th option every time.
    I honestly think it is a combination of the two.
    The checkdowns are obviously there by design, and BJ is too eager to use them IMHO.
    I agree, that and McKinney getting blown away by the ends and the general cave in of the O-line on pass blocking.
    After the O-line switch against the Dolphins it appeared that BJ had some more time in the pocket.
    Hopefully that continues.
    The protection did look better last game, especially (I hate to say it) after the Rosenthal switch. Maybe Brad will get some more time this week.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Just thinking out loud here, but sometimes I wonder if it's Childress' play-calling or if BJ's checking down to the 3rd or 4th option every time.
    The checkdowns are obviously there by design, and BJ is too eager to use them IMHO.
    I agree, that and McKinney getting blown away by the ends and the general cave in of the O-line on pass blocking.
    After the O-line switch against the Dolphins it appeared that BJ had some more time in the pocket.
    The protection did look better last game, especially (I hate to say it) after the Rosenthal switch. Maybe Brad will get some more time this week.
    He'd have better protection if he wore a condom.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"WVV" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    He'd have better protection if he wore a condom.
    A body condom?
    It probably wouldn't hurt the passing game...and Birk would probably feel safer.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Thank you for laying out the facts.
    The short passes on third and long have been pissing me off all year long.
    I too have been wondering who is to blame, BJ or BC.
    I have to believe it's BC's offense that is to blame.
    How tough is it to run some plays that go 8 yards on a third and 7.
    If we have a 3rd and 15 then we might as well quick kick it, because we don't even try to pick it up.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Here is an update with yesterday's third or fourth and long attempts.

[size=8pt]3-22-ARI42 (1:44) B.Johnson pass incomplete short middle to J.Wiggins.
    3-11-ARI45 (8:41) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass incomplete deep middle to M.Robinson.
    3-12-ARI44 (:58) B.Johnson pass short left to M.Robinson pushed ob at ARZ 39 for 5 yards (D.Macklin).
    3-9-ARI9 (10:41) B.Johnson pass short middle to B.McMullen for 9 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    3-11-ARI22 (6:47) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass incomplete to B.McMullen (C.Okeafor).
    3-18-MIN23 (:55) M.Moore right end to MIN 25 for 2 yards (A.Rolle).
    3-10-MIN30 (7:43) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short right to B.McMullen pushed ob at MIN 36 for 6 yards (A.Wilson) [C.Okeafor].
    3-5-MIN21 (2:16) C.Taylor right tackle to MIN 25 for 4 yards (A.Wilson).[/size]

The first thing I would like to point out is that we were doing much better on 1st and 2nd down.
    We only had third and long situations 8 times out of 15 3rd downs (53%), compared to 70% from our previous games.
    This is a major improvement.

Of those 3rd and long situations, we only converted 1 of them (11%), which is right on par for us.
    Sadly, we only threw the ball past the first down markers once, on the incomplete deep to MRob.
    We had 2 (22%) running plays and 4 (44%) pass attempts short of the first down marker.

So basically we won yesterday, but not because we changed anything on third and long.
    We just were preforming better on 1st and 3nd, so we saw less long third down situations.
    This is still an area that needs improvement.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

The first thing I would like to point out is that we were doing much better on 1st and 2nd down.
    We only had third and long situations 8 times out of 15 3rd downs (53%), compared to 70% from our previous games.
    This is a major improvement.
    Against the worst (one of three really bad teams anyway) team in the NFL, I have to add.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12