Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

The 3 Types of NFL Team

I once heard Bill Parcells state that all NFL teams run one of three philosophies, which detetrmine their team and how they play:

a. the "Air Coryell System" - this is a pass-crazy system that likes to line up 4 receivers and throw and throw and throw, and make you try to keep up with their aerial attack. They have great QBs and receivers, and basically, you don't. Examples: Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Seattle, Green Bay, Rams.

b. the "Buddy Ryan, Defensive System" - named after Buddy Ryan when the Bears won the Super Bowl with their 4-6 defense. This basically is the team whose defense is so good, they don't need a QB or offense. They can win the Show with Trent Dilfert, because you can't get a first down, much less a TD. Examples: Ravens and Tampa, when they won the Super Bowl.

c. the "We Execute to Perfection" system. This is the old Redskins concept of superior execution. These teams execute to perfection and won't get a penalty. They are like a machine. Exmples: Eagles, Broncos.

I personally find this VERY useful for understading the game. I think the Vikings under Childress are trying to be a b. or c., i.e. the Defense, or the Execution System. I do have my doubts that winning anymore in the NFL can be done with anything but a., if you look at the Colts. But maybe I am wrong.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: The 3 Types of NFL Team

Why did you start two nearly identical threads?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Why did you start two [s]nearly[/s] identical threads?

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Sorry guys, my bad. I use wireless as my Internet connection, and sometimes, I hit "post" or "save" and it doesn't seem to go through. But it really did. Kind of retarded, actually. Sorry.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Here are the real 3 types:

Good:
    They are good.

Examples:
    Colts, Vikings

Shitty:
    They are shitty.

Examples:
    49er's, Chiefs, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Bears, Lions, Raiders, Jets, Giants, Bengals, Rams, Chargers, Bills, Dophins, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys

Favre's Sweaty Taint:
    Worse than shitty.

Examples:
    Packers

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I once heard Bill Parcells state that all NFL teams run one of three philosophies, which detetrmine their team and how they play:

a. the "Air Coryell System" - this is a pass-crazy system that likes to line up 4 receivers and throw and throw and throw, and make you try to keep up with their aerial attack. They have great QBs and receivers, and basically, you don't. Examples: Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Seattle, Green Bay, Rams.

b. the "Buddy Ryan, Defensive System" - named after Buddy Ryan when the Bears won the Super Bowl with their 4-6 defense. This basically is the team whose defense is so good, they don't need a QB or offense. They can win the Show with Trent Dilfert, because you can't get a first down, much less a TD. Examples: Ravens and Tampa, when they won the Super Bowl.

c. the "We Execute to Perfection" system. This is the old Redskins concept of superior execution. These teams execute to perfection and won't get a penalty. They are like a machine. Exmples: Eagles, Broncos.

I personally find this VERY useful for understading the game. I think the Vikings under Childress are trying to be a b. or c., i.e. the Defense, or the Execution System. I do have my doubts that winning anymore in the NFL can be done with anything but a., if you look at the Colts. But maybe I am wrong.
    You give the Pats offense way to much credit...without their defense (and the Tuck Rule and the Panthers idiot kicker kicking the ball out of bounds after Delhomme had just led the Panthers to what should have been the winning score) the Putzies wouldn't have won CRAP!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

I dont think you get to chose. Your players choose.

If you have a Randy Moss and a Daunte Culpepper you air the ball out, if you have a Pat Williams and a Kevin Williams you play the defense.

If you have an AP and a CT you run the ball.

I think good coaches adapt to what they have and still remain within their system.

The thing is most plays have more then one option on pass plays you may have 2 short routes and 1 deep route.....if you have a great line, an amazing WR you can hit that deep route......does that make you an Air Coryell System? Not really it means that due to the personel you have you are able to execute the deep passes that are drawn into your system.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

I think the Chargers have departed from the "Air Coryell System" and gone to the "LT" system this is where you give the ball to your star running back on 50% of the plays whether as a rusher, receiver, or passer.

And if you need a clutch field goal or an extra LB for a goal line stand you consider him for that too.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good:
    They are good.

Examples:
    Colts, Vikings

Shitty:
    They are shitty.

Examples:
    49er's, Chiefs, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Bears, Lions, Raiders, Jets, Giants, Bengals, Rams, Chargers, Bills, Dophins, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys

Favre's Sweaty Taint:
    Worse than shitty.

Examples:
    Packers
    LOL #3 just made me laugh out loud for the first time in a long time

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good:
    They are good.

Examples:
    Colts, Vikings

Shitty:
    They are shitty.

Examples:

Favre's Sweaty Taint:
    Worse than shitty.

Examples:
    Packers

I find these "types" much easier to understand! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast