Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 defense?

boognish is offline Coordinator

3-4 defense?

This article says that we'll be using the 3-4 and cover-2 defense this year; does anyone know if that's accurate? It doesn't seem to play to the strengths of our roster; we are having a hard enough time just finding 3 LB's that can play and the 3-4 would take away one member of our DL, which is the backbone of our defense. Hopefully, it's just a change of pace type tactic which will be occassionally employed.

Does anyone have more info on this?

Vikings Team Report
    7/7/2006

By Kevin Seifert
    Minneapolis Star Tribune

SITE: Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minn.

REPORTING DATES: Rookies July 27; Veterans July 30

TOP PRIORITY: For the first time since 1992, the team will undergo a significant scheme change. The new coaching staff is implementing a West Coast offense and 3-4 and cover 2 schemes on defense. The players must master the new systems in training camp.

CAMP CONFIDENTIAL: C Matt Birk missed last season because of hip surgery, so his health will be monitored closely. Birk, who is key to the line's success, reported no problems with his hip during noncontact offseason drills. . . .

QB Mike McMahon isn't a lock to back up starter Brad Johnson. J.T. O'Sullivan has experience in the West Coast offense and could challenge the error-prone McMahon. . . . .

E.J. Henderson will compete with Napoleon Harris for the starting middle linebacker job. Henderson, entering his fourth season, holds the edge because of his solid performance last season on the weak side. . . .

LG Steve Hutchinson, the team's biggest offseason addition, will make everyone on the line better. Hutchinson is the team's best drive blocker, and he could help make LT Bryant McKinnie a Pro Bowl player
    I am a dipshit!!!

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: 3-4 defense?

I don't like that...why the 3-4, we don't have the Linebackers to fill a 3-4 void, usually the two outside linebackers would be alot bigger than normal but very athletic to play lineback so half Defensive End/Linebacker.

Plus this would take out either K. Will or P. Will, although they are the coaches but I don't feel that's a good idea. I hope were not going to use the 3-4 too much.

oakmage is offline Starter

Most likely what happened is the reporter heard part of a conversation of only listened to part of one and thought he know was being said along with a desire to be the first one to break this story went ahead with it with out making sure what he thought he heard was in fact what he heard

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Wow! A 3-4? I didn't really think we had the linebackers to run a 3-4, and with a deep defensive line and two great players at DT the 4-3 is definately our strength. That's odd.

twill is offline Starter

i dont like the idea either.. i would really like to see the williams, with KU and EJ on the line backed with NH, EJ and CG

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"oakmage" wrote:
    Most likely what happened is the reporter heard part of a conversation of only listened to part of one and thought he know was being said along with a desire to be the first one to break this story went ahead with it with out making sure what he thought he heard was in fact what he heard
    I agree. They have not been running a 3-4 in OTAs that I heard of, so I find this a little unlikely. Let's wait to see what they are doing intraining camp before we get worked up over anything Kevin Seifert says.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i remember they ran the 3-4 last year a little bit, and they had kWill as a DE and they did pretty well, but then again, they did it against the packers i think.

i could see it working by having

greenway henderson harris leber

KWill PWill James/Udeze/Scott

but untill greenway and harris prove that they are capable of having decent seasons i wouldn't trust the 3-4

boognish is offline Coordinator

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    i remember they ran the 3-4 last year a little bit, and they had kWill as a DE and they did pretty well, but then again, they did it against the packers i think.

i could see it working by having

greenway henderson harris leber

KWill PWill James/Udeze/Scott

but untill greenway and harris prove that they are capable of having decent seasons i wouldn't trust the 3-4
    Every defense shows a 3-4 look once or twice per game; about 10% of teams in the NFL use it as their base defense. Since we've all heard so much about the Vikes using the Cover 2 this year, I'm assuming that it will be our base defense and the 3-4 will just be a "special package"; at least that's what I'm hoping.

If that is the case, this was a pretty poorly written summary by the Star Tribune, which wouldn't be the first time :grin: . Hopefully the Vikes aren't going to get too complicated and try to pick up too many defensive philosophies at once; we saw where complicated schemes got us last year (i.e. Cotrell's). Keep it simple for these guys early, then add twists as they get more comfortable in the system.
    I am a dipshit!!!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I doubt they will go with a 3-4 scheme.. Tomlin is a Cover 2 guy.. He came from Tampa where Monte Kiffin instilled the Cover 2 system.. There is no way they will use a 3-4 system.. If that is the case, they should have kept Johnstone, and Cowart on the team..

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

We ran the 3-4 a little bit last season. I don't really care what kind of defense we run, whatever the coaches think will get the job done. Thats all that matters, getting the job done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast