Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-4 defense?

3-4 defense?

i think smith might get cut if he doesn't show a little somethin' this year in camps. i don't htink ive even gotten to see him play, he's hurt so much. so far, dude is a bust. i think when the vikes draft at 19 , we'll find out if we'll be in a 3-4 or a 4-3. if a lineman is drafted, it will be 4-3. in the instance of a lb, we'll be starting a 3-4. pay attention on draft day fellas! (and if drafting for a 3-4, shold be vilma, otherwise claiborne will have to go back to inside)
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

eelpout72 is offline Starter

3-4 defense?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jdvikefan

I am not sure if I agree with the vikes not being big enough or fast enough( by the way I don't think any team has 3 LB's tht are both fast and big) anyway the vikings LB's go like this Claiborne 6-3 259, Henderson 6-1 245, Rogers 6-2 250, Smith 6-2 245, Crockett 6-2 240, and Natteil is the little gut at 227. I think you can agree tht Henderson can fly Nattiel although light can fly,Smith when he is healthy is very fast and if they draft D.J. Williams the book on him is that not many can match his rundown speed. Now Buffalo who runs a 3-4s thier LB's go at 235,245,235,248,241,242,238, a bit smaller than the vikes and I doubt if they are much faster. Buffalo had the #1 pass defense last year and the #8 run defense and the #1 overall. So this tells me you need the right combination of speed, size and football smarts, which the vikes have. Speed with Henderson, Smith and Rogers and Williams if drafted. They have the size in Claiborne, Rogers, and the football smarts with Claiborne and Crockett. All in all I think the 3-4 might work.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nice stats man! good points on the LB's. i thought the say way. Rogers who is listed as an end seems more like a tweener anyway so may be better as OLB. Also, Crockett was MLB for a very short stint (one preseason?) until Biekert came. Finally, as many people think we may be able to pick a top notch LB at 19.

in terms of my doubts on whether 3-4 would be suitable i was wondering more about whether Hovan &/or K. Williams would be good at ends. I know that they have both played there recently, but they both seem to be more effective (disruptive) when they are closer to the QB as tackles in 4-3. I dont know how different the role of ends are in a 3-4 vs 4-3 but maybe it would not work out if it puts are 2 best defensive players (arguably) in nonideal positions.

Dunno, been so frustrated w/vikes D over the past few years, that sometimes think we need an overhaul in scheme/philosophy as well as getting better players.

3-4 defense?

all linemen occupy blockers in a 3-4. they don't get much for stats. the linebackers get the glory. as far as a change in scheme/ philosophy, that's half the problem. this will be our 4th defensive scheme in as many years. the players can't settle in...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

jdvikefan is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

I don't really like the idea of switching to a 3-4. That being said it does appear on paper that the vikes do have the personel to play a 3-4. Does anyone know if the Jets ran a 3-4. Contrell is said to have one of the best defensive minds in the game and if the Jets did not run a 3-4 I would doubt he would come to Minn. and swith to it. I say stay with and improve on what they have in place.
    bleed purple

3-4 defense?

I think 3-4 is good becourse they need the linebackers.

I'm also playing 3-4 in my club and I think it's an good defense.

From Peter Chr. Nielsen (LB) Denmark
    The only pride you gonna have is the purplepride...

You wonna know way it becourse it the vikings color..

MINNESOTA VIKINGS.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 defense?

3-4 is bad, bad bad bad

ksvikesfan is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

I think with the personell we have the 4-3 is a better fit. Hovan and Williams are a good tandem up the middle. Neither one of them I think would be a good fit at end even in a 3-4. You have to have pro bowl caliber outside linebackers to make a 3-4 successful. If you look at the Steelers the last couple of years their LB's haven't played as well. Subsequently their defense was not as successful. If you look at the Ravens with two pro bowl caliber OLB's (Boulware, Suggs), they've been real successful. OLB Speed is also a key factor with a 3-4. I like Claibourne but I don't think he has quite the speed to play in a 3-4. Plus that second MLB spot would be kind of a concern. I hope we just stick with the 4-3.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 defense?

First off Steve Martin wold not be good enough to be NT in 3-4. Secondly we have very little depth at linebacker. Say what you want about how our linebackers are light and "therfore, fast". Speed at linebacker was a major concern last year. Biekert, Crockett are too old and slow. Raonall Smith in all likelyhood will not make it past training camp. Claiborne is not fast enough to play OLB in 3-4. E.J. is good but is not really that fast, relying more on instincts. Nattiel might be good although I believe if we had him in we would get RUN OVER. As good as the Steelers and Ravens are with a 3-4 against the run, I just don't think we could pull it off, we don't have the 'backers or Nose that they have.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

3-4 defense?

why that..??
    The only pride you gonna have is the purplepride...

You wonna know way it becourse it the vikings color..

MINNESOTA VIKINGS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12