Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 defense?

eelpout72 is offline Starter

3-4 defense?

What do you guys think about the 3-4 defense, the liklihood of the vikes using it as a base defense this year, and whether it better suits our personnel? I read that Cottrell has experience with it and that since not many people use it, offenses tend to be less familiar with working against it. Would Hovan and/or K. Williams be suited to play DE in 3-4 (in 4-3 they certainly seem to be better as interior lineman)? If so that may help our lack of DE depth (especially w/Mixon). Also, since Udeze & Smith probably wont be around at 19, maybe we could pick up a LB stud for the 3-4. Would it also allow Biekert to be effective for a bit longer or would that make it more difficult for him?

I must admit im pretty ignorant of the 3-4 since the vikes seem to have always been 4-3. Maybe this makes our problems worse.....

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 defense?

We definitely do not have the personnel to go straight to 3-4, I prefer 4-3.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

BigHovan187 is offline Waterboy

3-4 defense?

I like the idea if we are able to get Wilfork in the middle and Hovan and K. Williams at the other 2 front spots. With Mixon out for the season, we would otherwise need to get 2 starting DEs, and I just don't see how we could get 2 good ones. I think there is a very good chance we do in fact switch to a 3-4 next season.

Claiborne55 is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

I definitely hope they move to the 3-4, and it would explain alot of their moves this off season. A big run stuffer like Martin is exactly the type of player you want playing DT in a 3-4. I think Hovan and Williams would do good as ends in this situation, but they would need another backup I think. Anyway, I believe this would help Biekert alot as his slowness would be less of a problem. The only piece missing is a great OLB, and that can be got in the draft, in DJ Williams or Karlos Dansby.

DoyleRulz84 is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

I have been watching the steelers play with the 3-4 for years and it doesnt impress me at all. You have to blitz all the time which leaves people open. I prefer the 4-3
    4ee016e435d4da86194a9f140c831959

jdvikefan is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

with the loss of Mixon and the addition of Winfield and 3-4 makes sense. This is especially true if the vikes get that LB out of Miami in the draft. He has blazing speed and is said to be ready to start right away. Hovan, Williams,Martin on the line Henderson, Claiborn,D.J., and take your pick on the 4th Crockett, Smith, or Rogers. Sounds like a pretty tough run defense to me. This only works if winfield and williams can cover 1 on 1 consistantly.
    bleed purple

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

3-4 defense?

I believe I read that Biekert is considering retiring. There is a reason most teams do not use the 3-4 and that is because there are alot of 300+ pound offensive lines out there. Sorry but the Vikings do not have the speed and size (in my opionion) at linebacker to use that defense.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 defense?

I say stick to 4-3.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

3-4 defense?

beikert is expected to retire sometime before mini camps. he hasn't said yet.but i think rogers would be a good olb in a 3-4. if we went to that, then vilma would be an excellent get in the first to go with henderson in the middle. claiborne would complete the package for the 4 'backers. in a 3-4 all the linemen have to do is occupy blockers. i think martin, williams, and hovan could do that. the only thing that worries me is our depth at all positions. our back ups wouldn't neccesarily fit.i can see us going to this with our starting personel, but the depth worries me
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

jdvikefan is offline Rookie

3-4 defense?

I am not sure if I agree with the vikes not being big enough or fast enough( by the way I don't think any team has 3 LB's tht are both fast and big) anyway the vikings LB's go like this Claiborne 6-3 259, Henderson 6-1 245, Rogers 6-2 250, Smith 6-2 245, Crockett 6-2 240, and Natteil is the little gut at 227. I think you can agree tht Henderson can fly Nattiel although light can fly,Smith when he is healthy is very fast and if they draft D.J. Williams the book on him is that not many can match his rundown speed. Now Buffalo who runs a 3-4s thier LB's go at 235,245,235,248,241,242,238, a bit smaller than the vikes and I doubt if they are much faster. Buffalo had the #1 pass defense last year and the #8 run defense and the #1 overall. So this tells me you need the right combination of speed, size and football smarts, which the vikes have. Speed with Henderson, Smith and Rogers and Williams if drafted. They have the size in Claiborne, Rogers, and the football smarts with Claiborne and Crockett. All in all I think the 3-4 might work.
    bleed purple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast