Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

Can some clarify something on the 3-4 , which of the two MLBs call the plays or is that purely a matter of who is the more experienced ? Least with this we can play EJ at MLB but maybe have CC calling the plays, that way EJ gets some more mentoring during gametime which I think he still needs
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Can some clarify something on the 3-4 , which of the two MLBs call the plays or is that purely a matter of who is the more experienced ? Least with this we can play EJ at MLB but maybe have CC calling the plays, that way EJ gets some more mentoring during gametime which I think he still needs
    hmmmm maybe we need chavous playing MLB...

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

I really do not think it matters if the Vikings play a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense the bottom line is to put pressure on the other ream's QB. The best cover guys in the world will not help if no pressure is applied. Any and all starting QB's in the NFL can and will pick any defense apart if they have time. (except Culpepper who has 6-7 seconds and still looks at just one reciever)
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

More pressure on our crappy LBs is ALL we need. It would work if we picked some people up, but with Keith Newman and CC back there with more responsibilities I would NOT be too comfortable!
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

Maybe we should try it in training camp and preseason....see how it works out..........

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

I dont see how our defense could get any worse then it already is..... I say we go for it!!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

Uh, I am pretty sure as of now we don't have the personnel to run the 3-4. All I can see it doing now is making us worse against the run, while reducing Kevin Williams effectiveness.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

I dont think 3-4 is a good fit for us because we have a much better Dline than LB core. why would we exagerate our weakness rather than our strenght?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

Stallion and Slackers summed up my first impressions well.

The amount of rework and help our Linebacker Corps would need to be effective in a 3-4 would be tremendous. One advantage we have is that they are a fast unit. The disadvantage is that they can't seem to cover any receiver, never seem to know where they're supposed to be, and they can't lock down their slots to save their lives.

In essence, they're pretty horrible.

The exception is Claiborne. Entering his 6th NFL season, he's been the one bright spot in the Linebacker Corps.

By switching to a 3-4, we take a big body off the line. We'd be giving the opposing O-Line an advantage in size immediately. The counter to that for 3-4 teams is to have solid Linebackers there at the point of attack, able to fill their slots and create havok.

Ours can't seem to do that with 4 down lineman...how can they with 3?

In short, I don't see a 3-4 being a wise move unless we get some MAJOR Linebacker help.

Caine

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

To run a 3-4 next year, we would need to find a solid NT. Kevin williams would be much much better suited at DE in the 3-4, so we would need a NT. We would also need to bring in a kendrell bell or edgerten hartwell in FA, some guys who have played the 3-4 and done it well. We would probably need to pick up a couple Lb's in the offseason. I like the 3-4, but we would need to use a lot of our draft picks and cap room, just to be able to convert to a 3-4 D. I say stay in the 4-3 and get the coverage LB and safety we need. Also draft a young CB to develope.

I guess if we actually do trade Moss, we might be able to get some of the pieces we need to run a 3-4, so maybe it is a possibility, but with what we have now, we are a long ways away from being well suited to run a 3-4 next season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12