AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

"Six of the 32 NFL teams used the 3-4 defense in 2004. Another
    two, Dallas and Minnesota, are said to be considering it for next
    year."

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8115855

I remember that this was discussed when Cottrell took over as DC last year especially as he has familiarity with it. The only problem I can see is that we have problems with just playing 3 LBs, how the hell are we going to manage when needing to play 4 ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

If we get the right pieces in FA and draft 3-4 would be a good way to go. We need better tackling CB's and better coverage LB's though lol

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

It was also discussed when O'Leary took over the job.

I like the 3-4 defense but we just don't have the personnel for it right now especially at LB like you say. Look at the LBs on the teams that have a 3-4 defense like Pittsburgh, New England, and Baltimore. We just aren't there yet.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Mr. O is offline Starter

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

We're not there yet. But, we could be if we decide to go with a 3-4 D and trade for players or sign FA's accordingly.
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

i like the 3-4 (i play that in Madden-ha), but i cringe at the vikings trying it if the team is the way it stands right now. in essence we will need another MLB, a cover type of FA MLB.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

I could see a 3-4 defense next season. Claiborne wants to play Middle Linebacker, and Roanall Smith looked really good before getting injured AGAIN. I could see us moving Claiborne inside with Henderson and then using Thomas and Smith on the outside. We would obviously need to sign another couple of Linebackers for depth at the very least, but hopefully we'd get a starter and let Smith and Thomas battle it out for the remaining spot.

On the defensive line it would make some sense too. Williams, if he isn't the best, he is in the top-3 DTs in the league and with Udeze and Scott with Mixon and Johnsotne backing them up, it might work out well for our line. Not to Mention I believe Steve Martin did pretty well in a 3-4 so it might improve his game when he comes in to spell Williams.

This would also hopefully force our defense to be more agressive with blitzing and things. And our secondary is a lot better when we play agressive.

It really all depends on whether we can sign a top Free Agent LB or trade for one. If we don't, I'd be pretty iffy about going into the package, but if we do, I say go for it.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-4 as long as we get a good FA linebacker.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I could see a 3-4 defense next season. Claiborne wants to play Middle Linebacker, and Roanall Smith looked really good before getting injured AGAIN. I could see us moving Claiborne inside with Henderson and then using Thomas and Smith on the outside. We would obviously need to sign another couple of Linebackers for depth at the very least, but hopefully we'd get a starter and let Smith and Thomas battle it out for the remaining spot.

On the defensive line it would make some sense too. Williams, if he isn't the best, he is in the top-3 DTs in the league and with Udeze and Scott with Mixon and Johnsotne backing them up, it might work out well for our line. Not to Mention I believe Steve Martin did pretty well in a 3-4 so it might improve his game when he comes in to spell Williams.

This would also hopefully force our defense to be more agressive with blitzing and things. And our secondary is a lot better when we play agressive.

It really all depends on whether we can sign a top Free Agent LB or trade for one. If we don't, I'd be pretty iffy about going into the package, but if we do, I say go for it.
    Now this is an interesting take...it would satisfy both CC and EJ's desires/skill sets to play the middle AND get DT's speed on the field...the other spot could be a FA pickup (does that ring a "Bell", anyone?). I also agree that the DL would be improved and it would allow our OLBs to blitz more (Newman, et al). Add a few players in FA and the Draft and we are good to go.

Question: Since there would be only three DLs, we would have to pick a new nickname for them...they couldn't be the New Purple People Eaters because the originals were a quartet...Suggestions anyone?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Mossville is offline Starter

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

"VikemanX84" wrote:

Like the idea with CLaiborne and Henderson at MLB with Smith and THomas using their speed to rush the QBs. Sounds like a nice plan as long as the guys up front can get it done

3-4 for 2005 Defence ?

For the 3-4, we would definitely have to get 1 or even 2 solid veteran linebackers.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast