vwo32 is offline Training Camp

2nd Half Offense

Maybe there is already a thread on this topic or maybe nobody agrees with me, but doesn't seem like our offense really struggles in the second half lately. We only had 7 points in the second half this past weekend. At Washington we only had 7 second half points before the hail mary. We had 10 points in the second half at home against GB, we had 3 points in the second half at home against Seattle, and we didn't score in the second half against the Bears. Whats going on there? Meanwhile, our defense seems to be able to make the half time adjustments. I don't have the statistics for them but it always seems like they play much better in the second half, while our offense gets worse. Culpepper had tons of time in the first half on Sunday, but he rarely had time to throw in the second half. Why do you think this is?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

2nd Half Offense

Stupid play calling.

Linehan didn't respond to the blitz Green Bay started putting on us. Short passes or quick slants would've stopped them cold, but Linehan kept calling stupid stuff. It's been like that all year.

Caine

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

2nd Half Offense

I beat my head against the wall when we go into the second half! Look at the GB game. We had something like 17 points in the first 5 minutes? Then, we have this non-points scoring second half. I know the other teams make adjustments, but why can't we? And not to mention the inability of the offense to score points off of turnovers :?:

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

2nd Half Offense

i think i have been linehans biggest critic on here. well if not, close.
    he does not run the ball enough. i am not talking run, run, run, then punt but most of the time we dont do it enough. points come out of the passing game, but there are important things that come from running the ball. keeps the d honest, keeps the clock moving when you are ahead and if you are behind it can be very effective when they are not looking for it.(2nd & long?)
    he did a good job after the 3rd quarter but AS SOON AS the adjustments are made by the D he sometimes doesnt make the adjustments in time to keep the offense in a rythym. like caine said the short passes and slants work well vs. cover 2. which most teams play us.
    i expect philly to play some man to man. with a safety over top of moss. lets hope that moss can get his FRO on and that wont matter. then daunte exploit the middle of the field with wiggy and onterrio and bennett.
    then the d play like they did last week and we should be able to do some things. it will be a good game.

2nd Half Offense

We need to play just like we did the first half last game..pass, pass and run. That is how we are designed to play. Teams cant handle that, and they adjust at halftime. Our defense usually isnt very good in the first half, and we adjust. Its pretty much a stalemate, but our O coordinator makes horrible adjustments DURING the second half and the other team's coordinators just out-do ours. We do need to count on blitzes and use some screens and slants like someone said - especially against Philly. We CANNOT adandon the pass in this game...if we start to run, it will play right into their hands.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

2nd Half Offense

Hard for me to say. I would suspect Daunte has a great deal of responsibility for recognizing the blitz and audibling out of it. Even with that, sometimes the defenders pour in so fast, and if your hot receiver is covered, you don't have time to do anything else but take the sack.

It sure did look during the GB game that the Packers were looking to shut down the run with the Vikings holding a 14 pt. lead. Vikings got in several 2nd and 10+ situations and they played it safe rather than risking a turnover. And at least Daunte continued to take shots down the field to Moss. He didn't always hit them (I think two of five, by my count), but the ones he missed were in no danger of being picked off.

I've seen some criticism that Linehan isn't making adjustments at halftime. I've got to believe that they need to do something, assume that the defense will make adjustments, and put in some different wrinkles if for no other reason than to keep the D off balance.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

2nd Half Offense

It all depends on how much momentuim we have. Against the pack our D had all the momkentum with 4 pick and the O had alot of momentum too. Last week in second half, we looked good.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

2nd Half Offense

we looked good.. we have one of the best 3rd quarter defenses in the league.. barely been scored on in the 3rd quarter... its the offense that seems to stall... (lions and bears game which some we won and not)
    the blame isnt on play calling.. caus every play will get you a touchdown (minus spike and kneel haha).. so dont blame the coaches,,
    its the execution. 3rrd quater you get into run-of-the-mill playing (who wouldnt, games are long.. 3rd quarter is right in the long boring part)
    so the key is to keep the energy up, more energy= more points/better D in the third, making it hard for a 4th quarter opsing team comeback

:king:
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

2nd Half Offense

I think our play calling was bad. They kept blitzing, and we kept running long routes. If you watch the Colts they beat blitzes by doing short 3-step drops and quick hitches, outs, and slants. This keeps the blitzes from getting to Manning and if they cant get there, they'll stop doing it! that's what gives Manning time to throw those 5-step drops and double moves the Colts do. All we do is keep throwing 5 step drops and long routes, which gives the defense time to get there. We need to do quicker pass plays and draws to put the D on their heels, then we can change it up all we want.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: 2nd Half Offense

"vwo32" wrote:
    Maybe there is already a thread on this topic or maybe nobody agrees with me, but doesn't seem like our offense really struggles in the second half lately. We only had 7 points in the second half this past weekend. At Washington we only had 7 second half points before the hail mary. We had 10 points in the second half at home against GB, we had 3 points in the second half at home against Seattle, and we didn't score in the second half against the Bears. Whats going on there? Meanwhile, our defense seems to be able to make the half time adjustments. I don't have the statistics for them but it always seems like they play much better in the second half, while our offense gets worse. Culpepper had tons of time in the first half on Sunday, but he rarely had time to throw in the second half. Why do you think this is?

It's simple, adjustments. Other teams make them and we don't. Denny was master of the halftime adjustments, as hard as it is for me to say something good about that guy.