Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am glad they are saying no to some of these big contract, aging players and either letting them go or not bringing them in. They did do a few like Jennings to keep the huddled masses from revolting but otherwise this is the best I have seen the front office handle the roster since the 70's.
    You'll never get away from big contract players unless you're replacing your star players with draft picks once their rookie contract expires. They'll want a lot bigger payday now with the new CBA rookie cap in place to make up for monies lost during that contract.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

2013 and done for Jared Allen?

That is why I put aging players in there. Yeah, we will need to sign players to big dollar second contracts and that I don't have as much of a problem with. It's the ones that get into their 30's at the latter stages of their careers and productivity I was addressing.

Examples would be guys like Winfield, urlacher, Farve, hutch when we let him go etc.

Obviously there is also the second contract busts that can happen as Carlson appears to be.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    First off, the FO didn't need to talk to Jared because he announced to the world through the press he wasn't interested in taking a pay cut. Secondly, the new flat salary cap has changed the FA game, and while I do think somebody just might pay him a kings ransom, most teams won't be able to afford to...123mil/53 players only equals about 2.3 mil/player average, so for every guy you've got making 10 mil/year, you need about 8 only making 1 mil/year, and then you are seriously gambling with your depth and how many injuries your team can survive while remaining competitive.

We will very likely approach him with some rough numbers early to mid season that won't sit well with him, which will lead to letting him test the waters, and hopefully, maybe, he'll give us a chance to match the other, lower than expected offers he sees.

Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite Vikings of all time! And I'd love to see him remain a Viking for as long as he plays, but, at this point in time, with the lower cap levels, we may very well be better off splitting his contract between Robison AND Everson Griffen.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries

Great post. You hit the point I have been making all year about how having these franchise can limit the overall talent across the roster.

Just watch the Packers roster now that they gave Rodgers and Matthews those big contracts.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The 49ers we beat was led by Alex Smith.

The 49ers that were in the Super Bowl was led by Colin Kaepernick.

Alex Smith is no longer with the team. Just saying........
    Good catch. We seemed to be gashed by mobile QBs last year, I think that may have been a different game. We won by 11 though IIRC. I think it would have been closer but I think we still would have won that game.

Blog Entries

With our new look defense guys like CK won't be as effective. A few good shots from Smith, Rhodes and Floyd will clean their clocks and either keep them in the pocket or on the bench.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Jesus View Post
    You sir are either trolling or didn't watch the same games everyone else did.

We don't have the same easy divisions, and that's fine, but remember who we beat. We beat the same 49ers that were in the Superbowl. We beat the Texans (AT HOME). Were there some winnable games that we screwed the pooch on? Of course. Nobody saw Minnesota playing anywhere nearly as well as they did last year, and to say AP carried the team to the playoffs is near the perfect truth but he didn't do it completely alone.

Did you even see the same kicker we did? Walsh was a complete MONSTER last year, and probably the reason for 1 or 2 wins.

Rudolph could be a top 5 TE in the league right now, and I'm not talking about the gimicky pro bowl. How you're thinking he's anything less than good right now is far beyond me. We have the Megatron of tight ends.

Our receivers were garbage after Harvin went down, I'll give you that. Ponder's deepest threat was Aromashadou. How well do you really expect him to play?

Whats with all the negatives? I didn't see any mention of the vastly improved secondary. Harrison Smith had a VERY promising rookie season. Assuming he only improves from this point, he could be one of best safeties to wear purple. What about Kalil? Top 5 LT in the league, no questions asked. You think AP would have gotten the same yards with the 2011 OL? What about Felton?

The only big question marks we have right now is keeping JA and what we're going to do with our MLB spot. Mauti could step in and be amazing, but that's assuming he makes a full recovery. What we have now can't be any worse than Brinkley though. I HIGHLY doubt the FO will let JA walk. He's been an unstoppable force for years, and he's worth every single cent. Let's say he does walk, that's going to free up a ton of cap space (he's the highest paid player on the team) and we have Mr. Griffen who I can't imagine we let go if we let JA go.

If you're trolling, I applaud you for getting a rise out of me.. However sir if you are serious you need to take a step back and re-establish what team you're really rooting for here.
    Actually the TE i was talking about was not Rudolph... I was talking about late round draft picks. Rudolph was a 2nd rounder.

The players you all brought up were 1st or 2nd rounders. You completely missed the fact that my post was about drafting in the late rounds. Don't worry... no one actually reads on this board... they just regurgitates the same hogwash everyone else does.

I am a Vikings fan through. I bleed purple. However, I have the rare ability to take off the purple shades and look at what we have.

Purple shades on = Wright looks great. Who needs Harvin
    Purple shades off = He looked decent and may or may not develop.
    Purple shades on = Spielman is a genius... he got us 3 fist rounders
    Purple shades off = He got us 3 fist rounders in a draft that was deep as hell. The talent we got was significant...however, does this excuse the fact that we miss on most of the late rounders we draft, is unable to hold on to a lot of the talent we do draft, and continue to mismanage our cap...preventing us from signifigantly playing in the FA market. I'm not talking top tier talent. I am talking B level talent asking for D level contracts (i.e Karlos Dansby, DJ WIlliams). Had our FO done it's job. We would have been able to extend Allen for 3 years at a lower salary than he is making now and bring in a quality star MLB. Instead now we are asking Erin to play MLB and balking on an unknown OLB.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 05-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I would like to hear from the bitching crew just what actually they think would have been able to be done with him any earlier contractually. He said flat out he wasn't taking less money and the team has not had any extra cap room laying around as evidenced by players being let go for salary reasons already that has people bitching the way it is.

Had they gave him a new contract last year I would like one of the butchers to name me the starter they would have sacrificed to give him that contract and who for less money would have filled that space better. It's not a damn candy store and you can't have everyone. The team is recovering from the results of signing too many vets to too large of contracts and I have no desire to go back there again. If that means we let him walk next year that is life. We have the young talent behind him to pick up the slack.
    Link where he said that?

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Stop being rational.

We'd be so much better if we signed Vick, re-signed Allen to the same he's making today, got Urlacher, Woodson and get early rights to Favre's grandson.
    The first two I said and I am correct on. The last two was just......

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    There's more to management than just the draft. If you can't retain your good players or make the right moves in FA & bring in good players, it tends to wash things out. Problem is, many people look solely at the draft when making judgments or look only at 1 or 2 FA moves.

We have 1, not 2 drafts to look at. Our last draft looks good on paper, but nothing is proven until they play. We've drafted several players in the past that fans got excited about only to watch them not pan out or fade fast. This year we had players fall into our lap & may have traded away a lot more value with our picks than what we got in return with Coradelle. He needs to pan out & not be another Mike Williams, Troy Williamson or Ted Ginn Jr.
    Wait.... singer.... you're using logic again. Unfair.
    People are happy about the 3 first rounders.... I think they should be...
    However, the forget to notice we got nothing proven after that (except the LB that few knew anything about but will pretend he is the 2nd coming of Hardy Nickerson). Everything we got after the 4th was meh. The punter looks to be the best draft pick after the 4th.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast