Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

2013 and done for Jared Allen?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Only five players in the NFL have higher 2013 cap figures than Allen, and all of them are quarterbacks.
    Jared Allen is undoubtedly one of the most valuable defensive players. Before Allen, the Vikings struggled to get pressure on the quarterbacks. From the moment Allen became a Viking, Minnesota has been one of the elite pass-rushers. The man practically broke the singe season sack record just two seasons ago. I believe there's a good chance he'll play on an elite level for at least 3 more seasons.

With that being said, he has two choices:

1. Play for money. Don't accept a pay-cut and be known as a great NFL player when he retires.

2. Play for legacy. Cutting down even a couple of millions on his contract will still make him double-digit millions in 2013. He says he wants to win a Super Bowl, but there's other ways to help the team out than just on the field. I know it's hard for us to put ourselves in that situation, but I would play on the Vikings FOR FREE if I had the opportunity.

Not only that, but if he restructures his contract and retires as a Viking after 3-4 years, he will not be known as just a great NFL player, but as a franchise all-time legend.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I hope we keep him ... he has given us his all ever since he arrived here ... he should retire a Viking ... I hope we work something out.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Jared Allen: 'No idea' about Minnesota Vikings' future

"Best-case scenario would have been that we would have never gotten to this point. Best-case scenario would have been the organization would have gotten something done (on an extension) a few years back.
    Jared Allen: 'No idea' about Minnesota Vikings' future - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Pay the man!!!....again. He's going to go down as an all time greatest. He needs to retire in purple and gold. He's earned his money.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Like I said....
    This FO is piss poor. It could be better managed. Go ahead and think they are amazing because we have had the benefit of 6 first rounders in 3 years ( think about that for a sec, any GM could look great with 2X the number of first rounders as everyone else), but they have shown an iniability to do the important things; Extending contracts, not letting your FA's hit the market and drive prices up on you, bringing in quality FAs, hitting it big in the later rounds.

Here we have a top 5 DE in the league, leader of the defense and we are playing a game of chicken with with contract. I remember people like purple floyd assuming disscussion had been made and it takes two to tango....hell we aren't even tangoing because we have not had any discussions with him. None...zero...ziltch. Face it...the FO is below average...they simply a have drafted 2 good players...missed on the 12th pick and the other 3 are rookies. "They are who we thought they were"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Hey hey pump the brakes! While I agree that I would like to see the current player-contracts handled differently. In particular, avoiding players hit free-agency. This management has done so well overall over the last two years that calling it "piss poor" because EVERYTHING doesn't happen the way we like should be considered a crime. The lack of appreciation is a disgrace! Some of the things the Vikings have done in the draft is borderline genius (tricking teams to trade up, several gems in later rounds).

Just remember that everyone ranked the Vikings at the bottom last year with so many new and unexperienced players, but we ended up finishing the season in the playoffs. Considering that, the Vikings likely had the most impressive season than any other team.

Like I said, I also wish the management at least talked to Jared Allen. I expected that they already had so I was surprised to find out that they hadn't. Even so, one bad shouldn't erase plenty of good.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Hey hey pump the brakes! While I agree that I would like to see the current player-contracts handled differently. In particular, avoiding players hit free-agency. This management has done so well overall over the last two years that calling it "piss poor" because EVERYTHING doesn't happen the way we like should be considered a crime. The lack of appreciation is a disgrace! Some of the things the Vikings have done in the draft is borderline genius (tricking teams to trade up, several gems in later rounds).

Just remember that everyone ranked the Vikings at the bottom last year with so many new and unexperienced players, but we ended up finishing the season in the playoffs. Considering that, the Vikings likely had the most impressive season than any other team.

Like I said, I also wish the management at least talked to Jared Allen. I expected that they already had so I was surprised to find out that they hadn't. Even so, one bad shouldn't erase plenty of good.
    I didn't see a team that was capable of winning 5 games without Adrian Peterson. I would also like to remind people that we don't get to play the EASY AFC EAST this years (Jags, Titans and Colts are easy teams, despite the Colts record) We have the AFC north and NFC east (The 1st and 3rd toughest division in football)

As for your late round gems.....
    Kicker - drafted at or higher than he should have been...
    TE - looked like a late round pick last year. Nothing will change that this year.
    WR - Looked decent. Potential to be above average. J.A.G

Am I missing something? Is there a 4th rounder we drafted, setting the league on fire? Where is the Marques Colston everyone seems to think we have?

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

2013 and done for Jared Allen?

Sky ain't falling...yet.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I didn't see a team that was capable of winning 5 games without Adrian Peterson. I would also like to remind people that we don't get to play the EASY AFC EAST this years (Jags, Titans and Colts are easy teams, despite the Colts record) We have the AFC north and NFC east (The 1st and 3rd toughest division in football)

As for your late round gems.....
    Kicker - drafted at or higher than he should have been...
    TE - looked like a late round pick last year. Nothing will change that this year.
    WR - Looked decent. Potential to be above average. J.A.G

Am I missing something? Is there a 4th rounder we drafted, setting the league on fire? Where is the Marques Colston everyone seems to think we have?
    You sir are either trolling or didn't watch the same games everyone else did.

We don't have the same easy divisions, and that's fine, but remember who we beat. We beat the same 49ers that were in the Superbowl. We beat the Texans (AT HOME). Were there some winnable games that we screwed the pooch on? Of course. Nobody saw Minnesota playing anywhere nearly as well as they did last year, and to say AP carried the team to the playoffs is near the perfect truth but he didn't do it completely alone.

Did you even see the same kicker we did? Walsh was a complete MONSTER last year, and probably the reason for 1 or 2 wins.

Rudolph could be a top 5 TE in the league right now, and I'm not talking about the gimicky pro bowl. How you're thinking he's anything less than good right now is far beyond me. We have the Megatron of tight ends.

Our receivers were garbage after Harvin went down, I'll give you that. Ponder's deepest threat was Aromashadou. How well do you really expect him to play?

Whats with all the negatives? I didn't see any mention of the vastly improved secondary. Harrison Smith had a VERY promising rookie season. Assuming he only improves from this point, he could be one of best safeties to wear purple. What about Kalil? Top 5 LT in the league, no questions asked. You think AP would have gotten the same yards with the 2011 OL? What about Felton?

The only big question marks we have right now is keeping JA and what we're going to do with our MLB spot. Mauti could step in and be amazing, but that's assuming he makes a full recovery. What we have now can't be any worse than Brinkley though. I HIGHLY doubt the FO will let JA walk. He's been an unstoppable force for years, and he's worth every single cent. Let's say he does walk, that's going to free up a ton of cap space (he's the highest paid player on the team) and we have Mr. Griffen who I can't imagine we let go if we let JA go.

If you're trolling, I applaud you for getting a rise out of me.. However sir if you are serious you need to take a step back and re-establish what team you're really rooting for here.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast